PDA

View Full Version : 50NL - Straight on flop. Top two are paired by river.

gir
02-06-2007, 05:44 AM
No real reads on villain, he checked on flop and turn with trips earlier, he tries to play a bit tricky and is hard to put on a hand often.

Is it a busted flush draw/overpair/underpair enough of the time to call? Did I induce a bluff by checking?

My logic on the river was that if he has me beat he'll bet. If I beat him he'll either bluff or check behind. But if I bet, he's folding if I beat him but calling if he beats me.

Another note: Villain had $0.75 back.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($30.55)
Hero ($71.60)
UTG ($54.65)
MP ($50.20)
CO ($26)
Button ($17.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls $2, SB folds.

Turn: ($7) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Button calls $5.

River: ($17) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $9</font>, Hero...

ninenine_zoe
02-06-2007, 08:31 AM
what is villain doing without very strong hands like trips/sets? does he cbet? i would like to CR this flop.
when i decide to bet, i bet a little more on the flop (with villain this short) and get it in on the turn.
as played i think you have to call the river - getting 3:1 should be the right price (but im not happy about it).

munkey
02-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I think calling and folding is close but folding is probably best -we beat very little except a bluff.

I don;t think calling is that bad, but my read says we're beat almost always so I fold.

i'd probably pot flop and turn, and just be virtually AI by the river FWIW.

halperin
02-06-2007, 09:55 AM
why didnt you raise on the flop to build a bigger pot

Michael Fish
02-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Given your previous with this guy I'd fold it's such a horrid board.

Maybe he was on a combodraw with AJs? In any case with the trips read you have I think it's time to exit the hand.

I would probably pot it then and there on the flop, maybe even somthing as mental as a bit of an overbet could be good value here. It seems like he's a tight caller so hopefuly it'll better define his hand before the turn.

At least then if you get a call you've got a much better idea of his hand, i can't see someone who has flopped trips laying down, AA possibly to an overbet but i think there's a good chance either of these hands could well come over the top of you. I guess it's about value at that stage.

As is turn i'd pot again if and go all weak passive c/f on the river.

Interesting hand.

IsaacAsimov
02-06-2007, 10:50 AM
I would reraise pf. Against this particular player I would just fold the river.

barryc83
02-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Fold this unless you know he will bluff rivers. However, bluffing here would be a ballsy move by him so I'd just fold.

Requin
02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Check for sure, fold unless you think players at this limit would actually call you with a draw on the turn with that little back on a paired board.

ama0330
02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why didnt you raise on the flop to build a bigger pot

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

You gotta fold this, unfortunately. Even if he is capable of this move with an overpair, the bet size is such that he has to have an overpair an awful lot of the time here to make this call profitable. Make a note on him that hes a station.

KurtSF
02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
I might call this because I don't want to be pushed off by some moran thinking he's splitting with Ax. But, as reported elsewhere, I am a callingsation.

Yeah, fold is right I guess. Stupid river.

drugged
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM
***GRUNCH***

I would try to get more money in on the flop/turn. Then maybe its easier to call his weak river bet.

As played.....I hate to fold river, but I'm probably wrong.

MightyJohn
02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Dont know what was the previous board looking like,but here u have a very drawy board and i dont think that he can just check on the flop with a set.So C/R seems to be a good play.

gir
02-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Think of it from Villain's point of view...Considering I'm relatively aggressive, and he watched me bet two streets with nothing less than 25 hands ago (when he had trips), wouldn't that make him think I have air?

When I did do that last time (c-bet+2nd barrel), he check-pushed me on the turn (with his trips). This time, he didn't. To be a 'thinking' villain is one, but to an 'evolving-thinking' villain...who buys in for $15 to start at 50NL? I can't give him that much credit.

I ended up letting it time down and...

River: ($17) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $9</font>, Hero calls $9.

Final Pot: $35

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qd Kh (straight, king high).
CO doesn't show.
Button has 8h 9h (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins $35. </font>

Bonesy
02-06-2007, 03:11 PM
This may seem trivial but you have to bet more on that flop. That $1 extra would make the river call simple as you would have just a few dollars left if the betting went the same way. The c/r on the flop is interesting but letting it get checked through would be a travesty. I think your way is best but bet more to more effectively protect your hand and build a bigger pot.

Requin
02-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Hand reading man. Even though people don't always play logically, it still counts for something. Even if you think HE might think you are FOS, he doesn't GET here with a hand that needs to bluff, he's either checking for showdown against your crap with some made hand or betting for value. The only reason to call is IF you think he might be bad enough to have a busted draw here. Clearly he was, but I don't know if that's a safe assumption to always make.