PDA

View Full Version : Scary min raise pre flop

AshleyC
02-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I was scared by his min-raise pre flop, which I usually find to be aces. Comments on all streets appreciated. I never knew where I stood in the hand. River bet was a blocking sort of bet, or is check-fold in order here?
Villan was 42/20/1.6 over just 19 hands.

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $50.65
UTG+1: $72.08
CO: $48.65
Button: $20.63
SB: $49.50
BB: $61.16

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero raises to $2, UTG+1 folds, CO raises to $3.5, 3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($7.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $5, Hero calls.

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ($17.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: K /images/graemlins/club.gif ($17.75, 2 players)
Hero bets $7, CO calls.

orange
02-05-2007, 08:16 PM
i think you played it fine, though i might lead the turn for value.

kaz2107
02-05-2007, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like a bet on the turn all that much as i would throw up in my mouth if villian did sumtin like shove cuz i think u have to fold to a shove and i wanna get this hand to show down.

i like the way u played it. i might even check call the river to induce a bluff with air.

orange
02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like a bet on the turn all that much as i would throw up in my mouth if villian did sumtin like shove cuz i think u have to fold to a shove and i wanna get this hand to show down.

i like the way u played it. i might even check call the river to induce a bluff with air.

[/ QUOTE ]
i doubt villan is betting the river with a hand we beat (other than air of course). i think he's calling with alot of hands that he wouldntve bet himself (ie. JJ or whatever). i like the river bet.

kaz2107
02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i doubt villan is betting the river with a hand we beat (other than air of course). i think he's calling with alot of hands that he wouldntve bet himself (ie. JJ or whatever). i like the river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
yea actually that makes a lot of sense. wut do u think of my comment on the turn? reasonable???

if u bet the turn and get called r u check calling the river or betting again?

orange
02-05-2007, 08:25 PM
depends what river is but i dont mind betting again. lots of players will go batshit crazy with a hand like 99 on this board.

turn is sometimes a check, vs. an aggro i would prob c/c again. i really dont mind playing for stacks vs a 42/20 here.

KurtSF
02-05-2007, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Scary min raise pre flop

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing!

If villain ALWAYS plays AA this way, and ONLY plays AA this way, so that you are 100% positive he has aces and is 80%+ to win this pot, this is an easy call.

Minraise preflop is (almost) always a mistake. It bloats the pot, allows and encourages others to draw aginst you, doesn't force anyone out or protect your hand, and also gives away the strength of your hand so that others can easily read and beat you. The only exceptions would be with a great drawing hand (say JTs) in late position with many uber-passive limpers that are guaranteed to call and not to raise, or with AA against hyper-aggressive limpers who are certain to shove over your weak raise.

I LOVE when idiots minraise me proflop (and its rarely aces).

Oh, and you played the hand well.

AshleyC
02-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Villan didn't actually have Aces in this hand.

And yes min-raisng pre-flop is horrendous and I'd be calling with any 2 cards in that spot to a min-raise.

davidyang
02-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Isn't this hand a lot easier with a 4bet pre-flop? Or is that spewy against a minraise by a donk? Usually, if they call KK and AA are out as possibilities, at least in my experience.

AshleyC
02-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I would say that maybe as high as 70% of the time I am min RE-RAISED pre-flop the villan has AA. Therfore, 4 betting and risk getting raised out of the hand denies my the great implied odds I'm being offered.

In this hand villan had AK.