PDA

View Full Version : Math project for my business calc/ maximizing profit

newOcean
02-05-2007, 05:45 PM
So I currently have a math project proposal due in a couple days and am stuck. The project is to find an area involving optimization of something that depends on two input (independent) variables. I decided that I want to optimize my poker winnings but am having trouble deciding on the two input variables. My teacher suggested that I can use "hours of sleep" and "time of day played" which I can keep track of and find the best combo where I win the most.

Any suggestions?

djames
02-05-2007, 06:01 PM
How about thinking in terms of NL Sit-n-gos and choose:
1. Number of entrants per tourney, and
2. Number of tourneys to play at once

eso
02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
1. Number of players: HU/6max/FR
2. Length of session.

chabibi
02-05-2007, 07:10 PM
the limit you play and the number of tables

IdealFugacity
02-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Eh, drop a few limits and do something with VPIP and PFR. You already know what the answers should be, and I think it'll converge relatively quickly when compared to number of tables, length of session, etc etc.. If you drop low enough to play something like a 40% VPIP game (maybe blindly following an ultra loose chart to keep you on track for this type of VPIP, when your mind is screaming to click fold), I think you'll find results after several thousand hands. PFR might be harder, maybe you could also use BB/hand with position as the independent variable.

I actually kind of like those ideas (I should, they're mine /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

BB/Hand by:

- VPIP, probably having to blindly follow charts to reach your target VPIPS and play a consistent pre-flop game (don't forget to drop levels! .05/.10 or lower on stars)

- Position

After a few thousand hands (not sure how long you have till it's due) you oughta find something close to the 'standard' 2p2 VPIPs and finding that late position = $$$