PDA

View Full Version : QQ on semi-drawy board: Protect my hand or pot control?

Gustav
02-05-2007, 04:46 PM
No reads as usual, because my database sucks and low limit players never stay for longer than 5 minutes.

I think this particular type of turn decision is affecting my winrate more than anything else at the moment, so I thought I'd throw a pretty standard hand out there for a checkup. Mostly wondering about the turn play, but comments on any street welcome. I felt like a giant pussy throughout. I have QQ dammit! In retrospect I also realize my flop bet could use a few extra dollars.

The check feels pretty prudent, but on the other hand I feel like I'm both losing value and completely failing to protect my hand. Planning to value bet most river cards, but that ace kinda sucks ass since he can't put me on AK anymore. Not sure how I feel about /images/graemlins/heart.gif or 6/7 either.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($30.25)
Button ($63.20)
SB ($122.30)
Hero ($124.80)
UTG ($135.20)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, SB calls $5.

Flop: ($14) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, SB calls $9.

Turn: ($32) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($32) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $32

Civi
02-05-2007, 06:18 PM
I think you might want to think about what is he putting you on? Looking at this it looks like the villain has got themselves a free look at the river. Perhaps with AhKh?

By not betting the turn and giving the wrong odds for a flush or an A or K that could beat you, you have no idea where you are in the hand.

Civi

Gustav
02-05-2007, 06:25 PM
This is true, but do I really need to know where I am in the hand? After I've checked we're on the river. I'm never raising his river bet and I'm never calling a check-raise, so we're looking at calling 1 reasonable bet or a 1/2-2/3 pot value bet. I can do that without defining my hand any further.

That said the free river card does bother me a lot and for many reasons, but I don't think information is the main issue here.

Civi
02-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Just have it in my head that if you gave the villain the wrong odds on the turn you might take it down right then?

orange
02-05-2007, 08:27 PM
bet the turn for value/protection.