PDA

View Full Version : How did God pick a winner for the Super Bowl?

bocablkr
02-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Both coaches of this year's Super bowl are professed 'Christian' Coaches. Both give God all the credit after their teams victories. They both have team prayer sessions before a game. How did God decide which team would win this time?

I image most years it is pretty easy for him because there is usually one team that is more religious than the other but this must have been a tough one for him /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BluffTHIS!
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
passive permissive will vs active (interfering) will

FortunaMaximus
02-05-2007, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
passive permissive will vs active (interfering) will

[/ QUOTE ]

So he shot some dice then?

revots33
02-05-2007, 12:29 PM
God was in the tub (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=god+is+in+the+tub)

kurto
02-05-2007, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both coaches of this year's Super bowl are professed 'Christian' Coaches. Both give God all the credit after their teams victories. They both have team prayer sessions before a game. How did God decide which team would win this time?

I image most years it is pretty easy for him because there is usually one team that is more religious than the other but this must have been a tough one for him /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of stuff always amazes me. I wonder if they just say it as a matter of course. I mean... do they HONESTLY think God is involved in something as pointless as football games?

bocablkr
02-05-2007, 12:32 PM
This time I really think they believe it.

valenzuela
02-05-2007, 12:45 PM
he picked the side that didnt have Rex Grossman on its roster

vhawk01
02-05-2007, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So much for God's 'pro-meek' platform.

arahant
02-05-2007, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit. That was hilarious, and I wish I'd said it...:(

Philo
02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I think this year since both teams were led by good Cristian men god just let them fight it out on the playing field. That means Indy really did win I guess.

vhawk01
02-05-2007, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this year since both teams were led by good Cristian men god just let them fight it out on the playing field. That means Indy really did win I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our first 'true' SB champ?

twoblacknines
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
I hate when people think God will favor their team. A supreme being would not give a [censored] about a football game.

The sad thing is that more football fans probably prayed for their team to win than for some social problem.

thylacine
02-05-2007, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God picked all the Super Bowl winners 6000 years ago at the beginning of time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

spoonitnow
02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
The lighter-skinned of the two obviously

Just kidding, it was a JOKE

valenzuela
02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that was uncalled for, Ive already notified youre post to the moderator

Ralph Wiggum
02-06-2007, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you make it funny next time?

The <Racist comment> <naw, it's a joke> formula is pretty lame in general.

PairTheBoard
02-07-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't think they were thanking "God" for helping them to win the game but for helping them to be the best they could be. Sort of like someone who wins an award and thanks their parents. Of course such a common sense interpretation doesn't lend itself to the cheap shots.

PairTheBoard

vhawk01
02-07-2007, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think they were thanking "God" for helping them to win the game but for helping them to be the best they could be. Sort of like someone who wins an award and thanks their parents. Of course such a common sense interpretation doesn't lend itself to the cheap shots.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you missed when Dungy said that God put his team down 18 points against NE so they could overcome it?

PairTheBoard
02-07-2007, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you missed when Dungy said that God put his team down 18 points against NE so they could overcome it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did miss that. Did he say anything about how God handled the Point Spread?

PairTheBoard

00Jopke00
02-07-2007, 10:50 AM
He had to take into account prayers from:
-Coaches
-Owners
-Players
-Player's family members
-Bookies
-Bettors
-Bettor's family members who wanted them to win VS those who prayed for a cure to the bettor's gambling problem
-Fans

After analyzing his data:
-Number of times times each individual said a prayer
-Number of times they attended church during the season minus the number of times they fell asleep while there
-How many good deeds were done during the season minus the number of curse words used (X2 for the times the lord's name was used.)
-How many episode of The Office each person watched during the season (The Office's producers prayed for ratings)

He used Microsoft Divine Calculator which plugged everything into a standard equation, the answer to which was "the Colts"

vhawk01
02-07-2007, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I am dead serious, though. He did say that, and while I won't claim that is a word for word quotation, its extremely close. I remember when I first heard the interview, I thought it was hilarious and so it stuck with me. He said that God directly put them down by 18 so that they could win the Super Bowl. I get the implied moral to the story, overcoming adversity and all that, but it is really a far cry from "God gave me the strength to perform my best."

thylacine
02-07-2007, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you make it funny next time?

The <Racist comment> <naw, it's a joke> formula is pretty lame in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with your analysis is that it was not a racist comment. Instead it was a comment about racism. Do you understand the difference?

arahant
02-07-2007, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I am dead serious, though. He did say that, and while I won't claim that is a word for word quotation, its extremely close. I remember when I first heard the interview, I thought it was hilarious and so it stuck with me. He said that God directly put them down by 18 so that they could win the Super Bowl. I get the implied moral to the story, overcoming adversity and all that, but it is really a far cry from "God gave me the strength to perform my best."

[/ QUOTE ]

It was pretty startling. Still, I was even more impressed by that Bears press conference yesterday where half of the offensive line renounced their faith.

It was the right thing to do, of course, under the circumstances. When God starts [censored] with you by giving you leads and taking them away, it's time to move on!

retleftolc
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
If all things are from God, and all actions are still free will, then God could still "put" you down by 18. FWIW, I believe God causes cancer too. Hense the all things from God. But, if ya want ta argue with me it will be tough, I'm going through a mystique/quantum physics christainity phase. So just about anything you say or I say could be right.

Ret

arahant
02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If all things are from God, and all actions are still free will, then God could still "put" you down by 18. FWIW, I believe God causes cancer too. Hense the all things from God. But, if ya want ta argue with me it will be tough, I'm going through a mystique/quantum physics christainity phase. So just about anything you say or I say could be right.

Ret

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry. We're used to people who can't be argued with!

retleftolc
02-07-2007, 06:28 PM
In retrospect, I could be argued at, but "with" would probably involve me opposing someone. So that would be the difficulty.

Ret

revots33
02-07-2007, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He said that God directly put them down by 18 so that they could win the Super Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he thinks his son's suicide was also a part of god's grand plan to lead him to a superbowl championship.

When something good happens - god did it
When something horrible happens - god is testing you

PairTheBoard
02-07-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure exactly what the coach said about God's involvement in the 18 point comeback. But I think even that kind of stuff can be defended as a kind of religious hyperbole serving to express the intimacy of their faith in their lives. I think it's a kind of a poetic expression for them rather than meant as a cause and effect type statement of fact. So I'm not so bothered by it.

What does bother me about all of it is the thought of those on the team who might not be so gung ho about all the Christian God Lord Almighty stuff. Do they get traded if they don't convert? Are they somehow second class team members? I imagine some of them might get pretty uncomfortable with all of it.

I also don't like the implication that this Super Bowl publicity for Corporate Success via Corporate Religion will encourage similiar religification in other spheres of endeavor. I understand in certain locals a lot of this kind of thing already takes place. If you are not properly "saved" you are to some degree shunned and ostracized by your fellows in the workplace. I wonder when we will start hearing about Religious Discrimination Lawsuits taking place. Maybe this will be the new growth area for attornies not getting enough sex discrimination cases.

PairTheBoard

retleftolc
02-07-2007, 11:40 PM
FWIW- I believe- If it's bad God did it.
If it's good God did it.

Ret

CORed
02-11-2007, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we don't really know yet whether Rex Grossman will inherit the earth. The meek may or may not inherit the earth, but they don't win very many football games.

DonkBluffer
02-11-2007, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate when people think God will favor their team. A supreme being would not give a [censored] about a football game.

The sad thing is that more football fans probably prayed for their team to win than for some social problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what this post says, but the avatar is fantastic.

DerrtySlime
02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
The problem with Christians is that they will never thank themselves for they're achievements/awesome feats/records/awards is because they have been taught too praise god for everything that is good in them and everything is bad for the devil.

madnak
02-11-2007, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with Christians is that they will never thank themselves for they're achievements/awesome feats/records/awards is because they have been taught too praise god for everything that is good in them and everything is bad for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. The problem of evil is a human problem in Christianity - it's not dualism.

retleftolc
02-11-2007, 11:16 PM
As a Christian myself, I have never understood how one can believe God created everything, and believe He is not responsible for evil. Most of my friends that I have asked about this, in the end, stated God must have created evil also.

Ret

vhawk01
02-11-2007, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a Christian myself, I have never understood how one can believe God created everything, and believe He is not responsible for evil. Most of my friends that I have asked about this, in the end, stated God must have created evil also.

Ret

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam and Eve created evil. At least, they chose it. God was forced to create evil else we would be robbed of free will. Not sure why he wasn't forced to create blue unicorns for the same reason, but there it is.

retleftolc
02-11-2007, 11:47 PM
If my choices are A or B, I can’t choose C, because it’s not available.

God created Adam and Eve. They chose evil. Therefore, it must have been available before Adam and Eve.

Ret

vhawk01
02-11-2007, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If my choices are A or B, I can’t choose C, because it’s not available.

God created Adam and Eve. They chose evil. Therefore, it must have been available before Adam and Eve.

Ret

[/ QUOTE ]

Right but if it wasn't a choice we didn't have free will. For some reason.

retleftolc
02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I believe it was a choice and God created it.

Ret

vhawk01
02-11-2007, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe it was a choice and God created it.

Ret

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. I think most theists would agree. The important part is, is it a GOOD thing that he did? Is it in accordance with his benevolence and perfect justice?

madnak
02-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Right. And if God created evil, then why are humans beings held responsible for evil while God is heralded as all-good?

HeroInBlack
02-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Dear Coach Dungy:

Where the [censored] was your god last year when Vanderjagt shanked that field goal against the Steelers?

revots33
02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right. And if God created evil, then why are humans beings held responsible for evil while God is heralded as all-good?

[/ QUOTE ]

And if god created all things why did he create the devil (or serpent) in the first place? It seems that Adam and Eve probably would have obeyed god (and we'd all be hanging out in Eden now) if they weren't talked into disobeying by the serpent.

And why would he go out of his way to tempt them in the first place? They probably wouldn't have even cared about that one particular tree if god didn't make such a fuss about it. It's like telling a kid he can watch any movie except THAT ONE. Once you say that, that's the movie the kid wants to see.

vhawk01
02-12-2007, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And if god created all things why did he create the devil (or serpent) in the first place? It seems that Adam and Eve probably would have obeyed god (and we'd all be hanging out in Eden now) if they weren't talked into disobeying by the serpent.

And why would he go out of his way to tempt them in the first place? They probably wouldn't have even cared about that one particular tree if god didn't make such a fuss about it. It's like telling a kid he can watch any movie except THAT ONE. Once you say that, that's the movie the kid wants to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Removing or minimizing temptation is interfering with free will. Providing or encouraging temptation is not interfering with free will.

Do I win the prize?

GMontag
02-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Mr. Deity's Superbowl Extra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF--G1zmyTw)