PDA

View Full Version : *grunch*ing

Elevens
01-03-2006, 03:57 PM
After seeing a post about this on another forum here, I thought it might be a good idea to repost this on SS. If you don't already know what this means or don't already do this, this will help your game tremendously. If you are already aware of this, a little reminder never hurts.

This was originally posted (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2089249&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1) in the Microlimit forum by The Grunch (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=0&User=16000&Number=2089249&Bo ard=micro&what=showflat&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1), a moderator on the SSNL forum.

Anyway, maybe it will do some good for this forum and our posters, too. Personally, I'm oftentimes guilty of this, and just quote someone else's post without putting much thought into it.

[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/club.gifA Challenge To All Micros Posters (This Means YOU)

How can you improve your game? What's the secret of success? You say you have been running forever with a winrate that is either flat or negative, and you just don't know why?

I know one reason why. It's becasue you haven't taken from these forums everything you could have.

Here's a common scenario. Someone posts a hand. You open the thread, and find a situation you aren't 100% certian you know how to deal with. Your'e smart and ambitious - that's why your'e here in the first place. You want to learn how to deal with this situation.

So you read the replies from the pooh-bahs that you respect. There are many to pick from, and maybe you got lucky and several of your favorite posters posted thier advice. You read thier advice and you think to yourself, "yeah, he's right. That's the right way to play that hand." You then move on to the next hand.

You have just learned exactly nothing. There's no way you can passively read the deluge of posts and recall every situation you've read about in the heat of battle.

So here's my challenge to you.

I challenge you to respond to 5 hand posts per day without reading any responses first. Just read the original post and then post a response. Then, and only then, look at the other replies. Resize the browser window so you can't see the first response, or even who the poster is. Click reply and start typing.

I guarantee - guarantee - that after 1 week of doing 5 threads per day, your game will improve noticably.

Now get out there and contribute. This goes for everyone.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

jason_t
01-03-2006, 04:02 PM
This is great, however I can't stand reading posts that have the heading "grunch." Don't tell us what you're doing, just do it.

Elevens
01-03-2006, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is great, however I can't stand reading posts that have the heading "grunch." Don't tell us what you're doing, just do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but if that is what it takes people to do it, I'll look past it.

shant
01-03-2006, 05:03 PM
After reading a lot in the micros recently, I have to say I think "grunching" is great for the individual poster but bad for the overall discussion. When people "grunch" they often just post and never reply to anyone else's thoughts or discuss the hand further.

Also, like Jason said, I'm not a fan of the word itself.

DahlFan
01-10-2006, 12:14 AM
This is an awesome idea. Also answers the question I always wondered. I think we should all try this. I don't post much, but I need to stop reading replies before drawing my own conclusion.

newhizzle
01-10-2006, 12:16 AM
i always wondered what the [censored] harv was talking about when he did the [grunch/] thing, now i know, cool