PDA

View Full Version : 50NL- 77, Isolate shorty?

Imrahil
02-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Villains are unknown. Do I call or raise, and if I raise, how much?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($29.35)
Hero ($50.25)
CO ($27)
Button ($37.20)
SB ($36.55)
BB ($6.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $6.2</font>, Hero?

.KeviN.
02-04-2007, 02:46 PM
This might be one of the only situations where I might throw in a min raise. Unless button is a total donk or is slowplaying the raise should get you heads up w shorty.

Imrahil
02-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Well I re-raised to $16 and the guy smoothcalled. Flop comes QQ7. I of course check because he probably has AK and want him to hit his hand. A Q comes on the turn (obv.) and I push and he folds.

ez game
02-05-2007, 12:48 AM
preflop I would just call the raise but I can see an argument for raising to shut out the limper. I do think the hand was misplayed post flop though. pushing turn when 3rd q hit is a big leak.

Imrahil
02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
preflop I would just call the raise but I can see an argument for raising to shut out the limper. I do think the hand was misplayed post flop though. pushing turn when 3rd q hit is a big leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain doesn't have too much left. I put him on AK here so I gotta push the turn.

By the way, pushing the turn would never be considered a "leak".

VPIP100
02-05-2007, 10:37 AM
just AK? I would give villain a range of hands.

I also would bet the flop, sometimes.

Imrahil
02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this play with AK a lot. They just call PF "I just want to call to see if I can hit an A or K and if I don't I'm done with the hand". When I re-raise the guy goes "Well I can't fold so I'll call this big raise to see if I can hit an A or K". I know I should put him on a range of hands but AK seems so likely here.

KurtSF
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Pushing the turn is bad.

AA, KK, AQ, KQ, QJ, JJ, TT, 99, and 88 just counterfitted your hand. AK is the only possible hand you are ahead of now. And amazingly that is your "read". Bad push, especially with no money is the sidepot so the bluff gets you nothing. Yuck.

Bet the flop for [censored] sake! I don't know why people have a problem betting when they have a hand (only QQ beats you). What's with checking the nuts??????

Imrahil
02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pushing the turn is bad.

AA, KK, AQ, KQ, QJ, JJ, TT, 99, and 88 just counterfitted your hand. AK is the only possible hand you are ahead of now. And amazingly that is your "read". Bad push, especially with no money is the sidepot so the bluff gets you nothing. Yuck.

Bet the flop for [censored] sake! I don't know why people have a problem betting when they have a hand (only QQ beats you). What's with checking the nuts??????

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot was so large that checking isn't a mistake. I was hoping villain would get aggro and push with AK or a PP. Also, if he hits a pair on the turn, I can get his money. I would bet if it was a normal pot but since it was such a large pot I decided to check.

On the turn I push because I don't want to give him any free cards. If he has a larger pocket pair and calls then good for him. He would have probably pushed a pair on the flop anyways.

I put him on AK because I've seen the way people play AK. People don't do this with TT+. They want to see if they hit their A or K. I'm not going to argue anymore about it. I'd bet on it that he had AK.

Vyse
02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Checking the flop is fine, that board is so dry that if villain's hand is good enough to give action, he'll bet it on that board. Pushing the turn is horrendous, though.

Imrahil
02-05-2007, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Checking the flop is fine, that board is so dry that if villain's hand is good enough to give action, he'll bet it on that board. Pushing the turn is horrendous, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I check fold turn?

TomBrooks
02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I thought too.

BukNaked36
02-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Turn - $38 in the pot. Button has $21 left.

Essiently we have a pair of 7's. The pot is be enough we want to take it down now. I think it's a reasonable push.

LMAO
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this play with AK a lot. They just call PF "I just want to call to see if I can hit an A or K and if I don't I'm done with the hand". When I re-raise the guy goes "Well I can't fold so I'll call this big raise to see if I can hit an A or K". I know I should put him on a range of hands but AK seems so likely here.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm... the other day i "just called" in this same situation with AA... villian in my hand (hero this hand) had JJ and got stacked.

Imrahil
02-05-2007, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm... the other day i "just called" in this same situation with AA... villian in my hand (hero this hand) had JJ and got stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you just called villain's raise PF with AA or you called his isolation raise? Villain is not trapping in my hand with AA. He's not doing it with any high pair. He has AK and that's final. Donks push with pairs and call with unpaired hands. If villain had TT in my hand he would have pushed over my isolation raise.

Vyse
02-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I don't think he ever calls a push with anything that doesn't have you beat but that wouldn' fold to a smaller bet. Yes, his stack is low, and if he pushes over the top, I'm calling anyway, but I still like that play better.

kleath
02-05-2007, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you just called villain's raise PF with AA or you called his isolation raise? Villain is not trapping in my hand with AA. He's not doing it with any high pair. He has AK and that's final. Donks push with pairs and call with unpaired hands. If villain had TT in my hand he would have pushed over my isolation raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making absolute retarded absolute statements here, if you've NEVER seen this with AQ or 88+ then you havent played enough hands. A lot of people would play 88-TT the EXACT same way, period. Saying its squarely AK is an absolutely awful way to approach poker, as is shooting down anyone who disagrees with your "read" of only allowing him to have one hand.

Imrahil
02-05-2007, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making absolute retarded absolute statements here, if you've NEVER seen this with AQ or 88+ then you havent played enough hands. A lot of people would play 88-TT the EXACT same way, period. Saying its squarely AK is an absolutely awful way to approach poker, as is shooting down anyone who disagrees with your "read" of only allowing him to have one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really care. I never cared what he had in the hand and it never mattered. I flopped a boat, turn came the worst possible card. Pot was big, I push my now bad hand. If he has a better pair or a Q, NH. I'm not going to argue anymore, I don't care about your ranges. AK AK AK AK AK.

boycalledroy
02-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't get the "The pot is so big that I check it?" statement. Surely the bigger the pot, the more of a need to take it down to keep people from outdrawing you? Please explain this no bet thingy.

If you been cbetting surely you will get more value as people just routinely call cbets as they suck the big one!

Imrahil
02-05-2007, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the "The pot is so big that I check it?" statement. Surely the bigger the pot, the more of a need to take it down to keep people from outdrawing you? Please explain this no bet thingy.

If you been cbetting surely you will get more value as people just routinely call cbets as they suck the big one!

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean the pot is so big that giving a free card isn't a mistake. If I cbet I push so it's either "Arr In baby" or "zoMG Slowplay".

boycalledroy
02-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Cheers for clearing that up dude!

A0566
02-06-2007, 09:47 PM
I can understand checking the flop, but why not a smaller bet on the turn?