PDA

View Full Version : NL50: Raise river for value?

Baintz
02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Made my first foray into NL50 today, muchos fun. Was just wondering whether I should have raised this river for value.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

MP ($31.15)
Button ($56.05)
SB ($29.45)
BB ($39.30)
Hero ($50.90)

Villain seems a pretty bad player, not much positional awareness. Has built his stack by buying in short and open shoving TT and JJ

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Usually I would fold 76s UTG, but I'd been pretty quiet for a while, and the table was playing quite passive

Flop: ($4.25) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2.5</font>, Hero calls $2.50.

Looks a weak bet to me, a weak J or maybe A9 wanting to know where he is, maybe QT. I don't like raising here with only a gutshot, so float to see what he does on the turn. If checked to I was planning to bet most turn cards.

Turn: ($9.25) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

An even weaker bet. Looks like he doesn't like the K, so I think it more likely he has a weak J now. I pick up the FD to go with the SD. I take the cheap odds and call. Does anyone like a raise here?

River: ($13.25) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $44.4</font>, BB calls $28.80 (All-In).

Again a weak bet. I was pretty sure he had made trips here, with a JT, QJ, AJ. If he flopped a set or made two pair or a straight on the turn he played it horrible. I was prepared to go broke here if he did have the FH, but is the push OK? I think villain calls with trips or a straight

Final Pot: $90.45

wallywojo
02-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Well that flop call was unspectacular. On the turn since you picked up an additional draw you can raise that bet with many holdings and take it down there. If you get called you have many outs.

Unknown Soldier
02-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I raise this river for value, the likelihood that he has a flush is quite small they way the hand went down. Well played

Baintz
02-04-2007, 01:02 PM
The call on the flop is debatable. But I don't mind want people to see me raise pf and then fold to a half PSB on flop. Had he bet more I would fold, but I think there is a decent chance I can take it away on the turn if checked to