PDA

View Full Version : Off to Ben and Jerrrys

Jason Strasser (strassa2)
02-03-2007, 02:37 PM
My friend john claimed he could eat a Vermonster in two hours. http://www.rit.edu/~sac7352/pics/2004/vermonster.jpg
It contains the following:

Twenty scoops of ice cream, frozen yogurt, or sorbet
Four ladles of hot fudge
Four bananas
Ten scoops of chopped walnuts
One Fudge brownie
Three Cookies
Two scoops each of four different toppings
Whipped cream

The world record for eating one of these is 19 minutes. He has not been training. He has no prayer.

However if he somehow does eat it I owe him a grand. I'll try to take some pictures, we leave for B&J in about 15 minutes.

02-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Also, no Sorbet allowed was my only stipulation. And that he had to keep it all down afterwards.

maddog2030
02-03-2007, 02:41 PM
When I first saw that pic it just looked like a normal small ice cream cup blown up to me. And then I read it had 20 scoops in it. Here's a pic that I think shows its dimensions a bit better:

http://www.menk.com/wego/vermonster/vermonster_challenge_008.JPG

rwesty
02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Is that a gallon container? It looks larger. I regularly eat half gallons in one sitting and would be intimidated by this but I think I could do it.

Claunchy
02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
That is totally disgusting. How much is one of those?

Regarding eating prop bets, I could probably make some money taking those, since I'm really skinny and have a Kobayashi-like ability to stuff my face, but I would never do a dessert prop bet. All that sugar and I'd be throwing up before I finished 1/3 of it.

fluffpop62
02-03-2007, 02:49 PM
that is DEFINITELY more then a gallon - closer to two. After graduation, 11 friends of mine and I went to B&J and tried to eat it, and we didn't finish it at all! And if girls, sugar-craving, chocolate-loving hormonal girls, can't do it, then your poor friend doesn't stand a chance. does he owe yu $1000 if he can't do it?

also, I wonder if he'll choose to stick with chocolate oriented ice creams, vanilla oriented, or fruit oriented?

keikiwai
02-03-2007, 02:51 PM
wow... he's gonna lose even if he wins... i can't imagine him feeling very coherent or stable afterward if he does pull this off

does he owe you a grand if he doesn't pull it off?

adsman
02-03-2007, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

also, I wonder if he'll choose to stick with chocolate oriented ice creams, vanilla oriented, or fruit oriented?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important and bears consideration. I think that fruit based ice creams may be easier to keep down.

fluffpop62
02-03-2007, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important and bears consideration. I think that fruit based ice creams may be easier to keep down.

[/ QUOTE ]

see, I think they'd be harder, as they tend to be sweeter. If he picked a medley of dark chocolates, I think they'd be the least nauseating. it's when you start getting caramel and marshmallow swirls that you're screwed. i am really tempted to go try this, frankly.

adsman
02-03-2007, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

see, I think they'd be harder, as they tend to be sweeter. If he picked a medley of dark chocolates, I think they'd be the least nauseating. it's when you start getting caramel and marshmallow swirls that you're screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right. What's probably important is to not mix the three different types, kind of like not mixing your drinks.

[ QUOTE ]
i am really tempted to go try this, frankly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Methinks your avatar may soon be but a faint memory....

fluffpop62
02-03-2007, 03:20 PM
hahahaha i know, that's why i can't do it - the guilt that followed would far outweigh any victorious feelings i achieved. just thinking about it makes me feel icky.

BUT DID YOU KNOW! fat-free frozen yogurt is only 12 calories an ounce?!

ilya
02-03-2007, 03:25 PM
What odds were you laying him?

PartyPooperGuy
02-03-2007, 03:33 PM
The walnuts would do me in. 10 scoops of walnuts? Ugh.

amaranto
02-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Looking around, it appears that it cost around $36 and has 6000 calories.

For whatever reason, 6000 calories sounds doable. I think he'll have a fighting chance if he hasn't eaten much recently.

tuq
02-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't like that guy's chances. Stupid of him anyway - it's like betting you could eat three Chipotle burritos in fifteen minutes.

cbloom
02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
If you can do light frozen yogurt that makes it a lot easier. The big problem with ice cream is just the quantity of fat will make you feel super full and sick. Also I think all vanilla is the way to go for flavors.

[censored]
02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
All,

any thoughts on how melting will affect his chances?

nation
02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh wow. i am going to get some now. that is crazy...i havent had anything sweet since i started my 1200 cal/day diet.

adsman
02-03-2007, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the stuff I saw on Seinfeld?

ahnuld
02-03-2007, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they also have fat free sugar free frozen yogurt and atkins frozen yogurt.

rwesty
02-03-2007, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it would make much difference on the chances of him completing because it should be pretty easy to just chug the melted slop on the bottom. However, if I was going to take this bet I would require that I wouldn't have to eat all the melted stuff. Things like this (another example is a steak eating contest, having to eat all of the fat) don't change how hard it is to complete they just make it really gross for the person at the end.

faded
02-03-2007, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet it tastes like frozen cardboard.

02-03-2007, 05:00 PM
okay, we took some pictures ill get them up soon. we went to ben and jerrys and they made him a really big one. Wiki says they are between 4-9lbs, and this one was 9.02lbs minus the weight of the bucket. He got haflway through it in about 40 mins then threw in the towel. He had nothing to lose except buying the vermonster (35 bucks or so).

02-03-2007, 05:01 PM
it basically turned into a soupy syrupy mess. Im fairly sure no normal human could eat this in 2 hours.

delta k
02-03-2007, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh wow. i am going to get some now. that is crazy...i havent had anything sweet since i started my 1200 cal/day diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

how fat are you? how unhealthy is 1200 calories a day? jesussssssss

nineinchal
02-03-2007, 05:07 PM
I say a grand that I could do it. just no nuts.

Nineinch

fish2plus2
02-03-2007, 05:11 PM
nation,

1200 calorie per day diet is a bad idea, go ask OOT why.

blackize
02-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm reasonably sure I could do this if it wasn't for the bananas.

fish2plus2
02-03-2007, 05:15 PM
how much do you weigh Nine?

02-03-2007, 05:16 PM
he went with some fruit and vanilla and chocolate

delta k
02-03-2007, 05:17 PM
could you die from eating this thing? seems like a LOT of sugar, etc.

nineinchal
02-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I weigh 285, 6'1". Lift weights daily. Eat ice cream four pints haagen dazs vanilla per day. With one bottle u-bet and a large can of reddi-whip. Half a pint maraschino cherries. Plus i eat lunch and dinner out in NYC daily.

I will wager 1:1

fish2plus2
02-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Im pretty sure someone on here in NY will take you up on the offer!

B00T
02-03-2007, 06:10 PM
This sounds like it was a lot of fun to be a part of. Great post.

CrayZee
02-03-2007, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ice cream, right? H2O expands in solid form, therefore it's really just a 12 ounce amount. He wins 1k easily.

Eponymous
02-03-2007, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they made him a really big one. Wiki says they are between 4-9lbs, and this one was 9.02lbs

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you slip them a few bucks to make it on the large side? 4-0 lbs is quite a range. He would have won if they made a small one.

raptor517
02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I'd feel sick after eating the brownie and 3 cookies.. with ONE scoop of ice cream.

Go_Blue88
02-03-2007, 07:05 PM
that looks really really good. how could some eat that in 19 minutes? immune to brain freeze?

nuggetz87
02-03-2007, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I weigh 285, 6'1". Lift weights daily. Eat ice cream four pints haagen dazs vanilla per day. With one bottle u-bet and a large can of reddi-whip. Half a pint maraschino cherries. Plus i eat lunch and dinner out in NYC daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok that's actually disgusting.

rwesty
02-03-2007, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that looks really really good. how could some eat that in 19 minutes? immune to brain freeze?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am pretty much immune to brain freeze and can eat large quantities of ice cream and have won several bets doing just that. i still don't think i could do this bet.

if there was a way to keep the entire thing cold i would probably eat it in a weekend just because i like ice cream a lot.

fluffpop62
02-03-2007, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet it tastes like frozen cardboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

frozen yogurt is, fortunately, the most amazing miracle of food nature i've ever experienced. you know how in willy wonka and the chocolate factory, there's that bubble gum that tastes like a meal? that's how frozen yogurt is.

Apple Pie a la Mode actually tastes like real apple pie with a flaky crust and ice cream on top. It's fantastic and amazing and i can't explain it but i'm obssessed with it. If you live in southern california, you know that there are LOADS of places around, and all normal weight girls are obssessed with it because we feel like we're indulging every time we eat it.

if you're interestd in learning more, i suggest googling "wow cow", "skinny minnie", or "je mari". just MAKE SURE, if you're counting calories, that you check the nutrition facts at the frozen yogurt place you buy it at. if the yogurt isn't nonfat, it can be upwards of 50 calories an ounce, which basically makes it like ice cream.

www.paradiseyogurt.com (http://www.paradiseyogurt.com) is an example of a small local store that serves frozen yogurt.

Los Feliz Slim
02-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm hypoglycemic and have eaten more than a negligible amount of processed sugar maybe a dozen times in the last 8 years or so. Also, I'm lactose intolerant. I think trying to eat this might literally kill me.

PartyPooperGuy
02-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Fluff,

What's your take on pinkberry? Personally, I think it rules. Three pinkberry locations recently opened in NYC. Unfortunately, they make the stuff way too cold, dulling the flavor. So if I want the really good stuff I have to wait for my trips out to LA. Thank god they opened up a place in the Valley.

Back in the day when they had only one location and the waits were 45+ minutes, I once ate two larges (plain with only chocolate chips) and a medium (green tea) before leaving the store.

Edit: Oops, n/m, just noticed you're in San Diego, not LA.

nineinchal
02-03-2007, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok that's actually disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you wanna bet a grand? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EMc
02-03-2007, 07:42 PM
For a grand I would like to think I can do this. Im big, real big, and also greedy and play microstakes, so a grand is a lot. 2 hours seems like enough time IMO to finish it.

Howard Treesong
02-03-2007, 07:43 PM
This would seem to me to be a textbook definition of a self-weighting proposition.

bottomset
02-03-2007, 08:34 PM
step1: get someone to give you good odds on this bet, for large money

step:2 get this guy to impersonate you for the bet
http://www.adpulp.com/archives/kobayashi.jpg

step3: profit

mason55
02-03-2007, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fluff,

What's your take on pinkberry? Personally, I think it rules. Three pinkberry locations recently opened in NYC. Unfortunately, they make the stuff way too cold, dulling the flavor. So if I want the really good stuff I have to wait for my trips out to LA. Thank god they opened up a place in the Valley.

Back in the day when they had only one location and the waits were 45+ minutes, I once ate two larges (plain with only chocolate chips) and a medium (green tea) before leaving the store.

Edit: Oops, n/m, just noticed you're in San Diego, not LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, while I was reading this thread I started getting ready so I could go out to Pinkberry. That place is soooo sick good

skunkworks
02-03-2007, 08:56 PM
PartyPooper,

Where did they open one in the valley? Where do you live in the valley?

PartyPooperGuy
02-03-2007, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PartyPooper,

Where did they open one in the valley? Where do you live in the valley?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's on Ventura, just east of Laurel Cyn. (12044 Ventura Pl, Studio City, CA). See all shops' locations (http://www.pinkberry.com/) (go to "Shops Listing").

I don't live in the Valley, I live in NYC, but when I go out to LA a few times a year I usually stay in Encino.

Los Feliz Slim
02-03-2007, 10:29 PM
My wife is OBSESSED with Pinkberry. They just opened one on Vermont, another one's opening at Rowena and Hyperion. Those people are making money hand over fist.

Entity
02-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Looking at that picture just about put me into a diabetic coma.

nation
02-04-2007, 01:24 AM
1200 calories/day is fine. I eat really healthy all day, have had plenty of energy, and am never hungry. It's all about the foods you eat...its easily possible if you make sure you eat well. I weigh ~250.

-nation

Clayton
02-04-2007, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For a grand I would like to think I can do this. Im big, real big, and also greedy and play microstakes, so a grand is a lot. 2 hours seems like enough time IMO to finish it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is, a lot of the allure in paying someone to do this is that said person has to look physically incapable of actually doing it. however, if taking down the vermonster is really as tough as it looks and it would be that much a challenge for you, i bet if you made it out to vegas something could be arranged with MSNL people.

though lets face it, getting someone like barrin to take down the vermonster is far more hilarious.

fluffpop62
02-04-2007, 03:47 PM
we still don't have a pinkberry, just lots of little locally owned shops. can't WAIT for it to open, though, as all my food blogs rave about it, although i hear they have a very limited amount of flavors?

thatpfunk
02-05-2007, 03:31 PM
fluff,
make soiler take you to Bogart Yogurt. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/NtP3pbFPx0xsUUMZzwS-DQ) its pretty awesome.

hyde
02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

if there was a way to keep the entire thing cold i would probably eat it in a weekend just because i like ice cream a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ben and Jerry's has outdoor picnic benches.
It is currently 8 degrees. Unfortunately the wind chill is 20 below this morning.