PDA

View Full Version : Philosophical question: what if I could prove the existence of god?

darom03
02-03-2007, 11:12 AM
If I, somehow, were able to prove to the world - without any question of doubt what so ever - that a god existed. I just could not say which one.

What would happen?

RJT
02-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I'd say you should be king of the world.

FortunaMaximus
02-03-2007, 01:07 PM
You might want to avoid Home Depots though.

Prodigy54321
02-03-2007, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I, somehow, were able to prove to the world - without any question of doubt what so ever - that a god existed. I just could not say which one.

What would happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

to show that something does exist, you must have a definition...the parameters of that definition will be known to be true if you prove this god to exist.

let's imagine for instance that you prove that there is an intelligent being that created our universe...and that's it..

a lot of things would happen, but for the most part, nothing SHOULD happen..this is because knowing that this god exists does not afford us many inferences.

some theists would laugh saying that they were right and atheists are wrong and now we are going to hell, but that is an inference that cannot be afforded by what you proved.

proving that there is an intelligent being that created our universe does not afford us any inferences as to why this god did anything or what this god wants or if we have a soul or anything like that.

arahant
02-03-2007, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What would happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

to show that something does exist, you must have a definition...the parameters of that definition will be known to be true if you prove this god to exist.

let's imagine for instance that you prove that there is an intelligent being that created our universe...and that's it..

a lot of things would happen, but for the most part, nothing SHOULD happen..this is because knowing that this god exists does not afford us many inferences.

some theists would laugh saying that they were right and atheists are wrong and now we are going to hell, but that is an inference that cannot be afforded by what you proved.

proving that there is an intelligent being that created our universe does not afford us any inferences as to why this god did anything or what this god wants or if we have a soul or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're serious?
Well, I for one would be inclined to start praying and meditating...or something.

Your rational argument, while true in the real world (the one without a god), kind of breaks down once we establish that magic exists /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Prodigy54321
02-03-2007, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What would happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're serious?
Well, I for one would be inclined to start praying and meditating...or something.

Your rational argument, while true in the real world (the one without a god), kind of breaks down once we establish that magic exists /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

who said that magic exists?

you proved the point that I was trying to make by making an inference that is not afforded by what we have proven in our hypothetical

Piers
02-03-2007, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what if I could prove the existence of god?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would stop being a god, and become just another scientific phenomenon. People would then have to invent new gods to replace it.

valenzuela
02-03-2007, 06:32 PM
you need to define "god"

MaxWeiss
02-03-2007, 06:46 PM
I'd believe that God existed but wouldn't know which one. I'd live my life as I do now, less the religious critiques and hope he's one of the forgiving types. An emphasis on trying to avoid eternal damnation would move up on my priorities list though, so I might change some of my actions.

Piers
02-03-2007, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you need to define "god"

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry can't, what is it?

jogsxyz
02-03-2007, 10:20 PM
If God existed, why would an atheist want to worship Him?

Miss Pink
02-03-2007, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If God existed, why would an atheist want to worship Him?

[/ QUOTE ]

If God existed, why wouldn't an atheist want to worship Him?

m_the0ry
02-03-2007, 11:17 PM
As i've said many times...

God is not provable because it is not disprovable. A logical proof is not valid if it has no falsifiability.

DougShrapnel
02-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Prdigy, I know it's a useless post but I agree with you.

Low Key
02-04-2007, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd live my life as I do now, less the religious critiques and hope he's one of the forgiving types. An emphasis on trying to avoid eternal damnation would move up on my priorities list though, so I might change some of my actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, humans are so egotistical.. This huge universe, and you think if god really existed he'd give crap #1 what you spend your life doing.

But to the point the OP made, if you proved that a god existed in this world, well, that wouldn't prove one existed in the afterlife, now would it? Like, I can prove that cheerios exist in THIS world, but not the one after it, eh?

I have this suspicion that, when you die, you finally understand everything pertaining to the afterlife instantly. And either it's a "Wow, that's really, unnecessarilly complex," sorta moment, or a "Oh yeah, of course, it was always right there in my face the whole time. Duh!" sorta thing.

But back to the topic at hand. First, I bet someone tries to copyright it. Then other people lie about it, trying to bend it to their own will so they can make money off of it. And then some government tries to send someone to talk to it to gain it's favor so that it'll smash their enemies. And then it, being really, infinetly huge and big, smashes the whole planet for bickering too much, but mostly just to get us to shut up for a little while.

darom03
02-04-2007, 07:44 AM
But if all humans in the world now knew and understood that an intelligent being had created everything. An entity unknown to us with supreme power and control.

What would be the most likely reaction - could it be a benefit to the world?

MidGe
02-04-2007, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But if all humans in the world now knew and understood that an intelligent being had created everything. An entity unknown to us with supreme power and control.

What would be the most likely reaction - could it be a benefit to the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody with a remnant of humanity, or a modicum of humanity, would have to make a search, and an effort, to undermine such a being, potentiating the ultimate meaning of being a conscious human.

darom03
02-04-2007, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody with a remnant of humanity, or a modicum of humanity, would have to make a search, and an effort, to undermine such a being, potentiating the ultimate meaning of being a conscious human.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being from an english speaking country, this kind of writing is lost on me. Simpler words please, if possible.