PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Thread

guids
02-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Im not super super knowledgeable abotu cigars, but Ive read a few books, and tried and logged a bunch over the last couple of years so here is my contribution, if I miss something add it up.

Storage-

Im not going to get into the more "creative" (tupperware + element etc) ways of storage, as I just dont think its worth it. If you you really want to get into cigars, even before you go purchase any, buy yourself a good humidor, one that holds 50, they are reasonably priced, not too large, and they look nice. I have this one:

http://www.humidorvault.com/Junior-Executive-Mahogany-50ct-Cigar-Humidor-p/hum-12-8117mg.htm

First thing is to throw out the hygrometer that it comes with, and buy a nice digital one, along with an element. You can find all these things at any cigar shop, or the net. I went to homedepot, and got a set of magnets, glued them to the element, hygrometer, and 2 to the lid of the humidor, so you can pull them off easily etc.

Before you store anything in teh humidor, you need to cure it, and this is a little tricky, most come with instructions, but the gist is to get a brand new DRY sponge (some sponges come moist), a plastic bag, and either a jug of distilled water, or cigar solution. Personally I like the solution better, this is what I use:

http://www.cigarsforless.com/images/dbthumbs/dbimages/WHZSOL16.jpg

Wet down your element (follow instructions), and instal your hygrometer, soak the sponge in teh solution, wet down the inside of the humidor with the sponge. Put the plastic bag on the bottom of the humidor, and the sponge on top of the bag, do not let any direct contact between the wood and the sponge. Close the lid for 12 to 24 hours. It should be cured after that. After a day or so, take out the sponge and bag, and let sit for another day w/ nothing in it, check your hygrometer to see if the humidity is holding steady at between 68% and 72%. If you are having trouble, and have a local cigar shop, bring the humidor in to them, usualyl if the owner is cool, he will help you/do it for you.

Stale/dry cigars:

a premium cigar investment is not lost if the cigars become dry due to poor storage. Using a properly cured humidor, you can revive your dry cigars, however, it will take considerably longer to revive them than it took to for them to dry.
Dry cigars should be revived slowly. First, place you cigars inside an open plastic bag on the bottom level or drawer of your fully charged and running humidor for four days. Next, remove the cigars from the plastic bag, keeping them at the bottom of your humidor for another two days. Finally, move the cigars up from the bottom to the top level (or drawer) of you humidor.
It will take approximately three to five weeks to revive your premium cigars to proper smoking conditions.

Onto the good stuff:

Cigars sizes, from some website:

Churchill: Traditionally, the churchill is held to be a larger cigar made popular by Winston Churchill. Normally it is 7 1/2 inches long with a 50 ring gauge.

Cigarillo: A small cigar around the size of a cigarette.

Corona: Traditionally this cigar is 6 inches with a 44 ring gauge.

Culebra: Three cigars of any size braided together form this shape. Yes you pull them apart before smoking!

Double Corona: A larger, but not quite double, corona cigar that is 7 inches long with a 50 or more ring gauge.

Esplendido: Made popular by the Cohiba, this size is about 7 1/2 inches with a 50 ring gauge.

Figurado: Any shaped cigar such as a torpedo or perfecto.

Giant or Gigante: A huge cigar 8 or more inches long with a 52 (or more) ring gauge.

Longsdale: A longer thinner cigar that is 6 inches by 42 ring gauge.

Panatela: A long thin cigar that is 6 1/2 inches by 28 ring gauge.

Perfecto: A classic shape that has a 48 ring in the middle and tapers on both ends.

Presidente: A larger cigar that is 8 1/2 inches long and a 52 ring gauge.

Pyramid: A cigar with a larger ring gauge end that uniformly tapers to a small ring gauge end.

Robusto: A short fat cigar about 5 inches long and with a 50 ring gauge.

Rothschilde: A short version of a robusto, usually 4-4 1/2 inches with a 50 ring gauge.

Torbusto: A new shape that combines the torpedo, toro, and robusto shapes. Made to date only by Altadis.

Toro: A new shape that is 6 inches long with a 50 ring gauge.

Torpedo: The bulk of the barrel is a larger ring (often 50+) that after 3/4 of the cigar tapers to a point.

Obv the larger the cigar, the longer it takes to smoke, a chuchill takes about 45 minutes, a Corona abotu 30 minutes, and Presidente abotu an hour.

Hand wrapped cigars are usually much better tasting than machine wrapped, but hand wrapping is usually less consistent, you can tell a machine wrapped cigar if there is a hole in it (negatting the need to cut it), or check the labeling.

Cutting:

Personally, I like the hole punches, as I can carry it everywhere w/o losing it, and you dont run the risk of drunkenly cutting your cigar too bad:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/5a/04/4a_2.JPG

But some cigars dont work too well with them and a traditional cutter is needed:

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/2800336105258080_0.jpg

Actual cigars:

This really depends on your taste, what I did was buy about 50 individual cigars at the shop, ran me a pretty penny, but I logged each one that I smoked in a little notebook for future reference.

My Fav:

H Upmann Vintage Cameroon, any size. These things are great.

I cant find my logbook right now, but when I do, Ill post some entries.

adsman
02-03-2007, 04:07 AM
Guids,

Great post. I introduced cigars to a small bar I was running many moons ago and they took off. Now of course with all the anti-smoking laws no longer possible.

Just a little point on cutting cigars. If you've never done it before buy a couple of cheap and nasty cigars and practice on them first. The cutting action needs to be quick and deft, you don't won't to tear the tobacco wrapper.

At the moment I'm going through a Cohiba Cigarrito mini stage. Luckily over here in Europe we don't have any problems getting Cubans and in Spain they are very economical.

shaundeeb
02-03-2007, 04:18 AM
I have become addicted to acid cigars, but they are very hard to find in my area only 1 cigar shop sells them. Though it's best to buy cigars at tstone since they are much cheaper but their selection isn't that good but they do have acids.

Tron
02-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Immediately after I turned 18 I became obsessed with cigars. This fling only lasted for about 10 months, but during it I came to learn that I, too, prefer a bullet punch cutter. I actually purchased a Xikar (http://www.xikar.com/cutters_xi007.asp) punch for a friend of mine.

I remember enjoying Montecristo White cigars quite a bit.

yellowsub
02-05-2007, 04:07 PM
i have been enjoying cigars for awhile, but recently got serious about my cigs. i got a 400$ humidor that can hold up to 200 cigars (i keep around 20 in there), a hygrometer from radio shack, and a 75$ humidifer that i have to refill 1x/week with distilled water. as far as cigars go, i really like montecristos and churchills, but it has been too cold as of late to have a smoke outside.

guids
02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have been enjoying cigars for awhile, but recently got serious about my cigs. i got a 400$ humidor that can hold up to 200 cigars (i keep around 20 in there), a hygrometer from radio shack, and a 75$ humidifer that i have to refill 1x/week with distilled water. as far as cigars go, i really like montecristos and churchills, but it has been too cold as of late to have a smoke outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2619

These are awesome. I dont know how well they work with cigs, but cigar smoke I know fades a lot faster out of things, than cigarettes. W/ the candle, and maybe a cracked window, you cant even smell the cigar 30 minutes after smoking. These arent the exact candles my I buy at my cigar shop, but Im sure there isnt much diff.

RichC.
02-05-2007, 07:49 PM
finally, a worthy thread I have some knowledge of, lol. I have been very bad of late about taking care of my cigars. Shame on me. I have a humidor that holds up to 150, and I almost always keep 100 in there.

Some of my personal favs are H. Upmans and Romeo Y Julieta. I have tried many of their different styles of cigars and they are all of very good quality. When I get some more time later, I'll make a better post regarding these and other cigars.

Stagger_Lee
02-05-2007, 09:12 PM
How long can you store a cigar in the aluminium tube they come in?

I've never had a humidor, if I want a cigar I just buy a Romeo Y Julieta and smoke it.

guids
02-05-2007, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How long can you store a cigar in the aluminium tube they come in?

I've never had a humidor, if I want a cigar I just buy a Romeo Y Julieta and smoke it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think the aluminum/cedar wrappings make too much of a difference in keeping humidity in.

limon
02-05-2007, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have become addicted to acid cigars, but they are very hard to find in my area only 1 cigar shop sells them. Though it's best to buy cigars at tstone since they are much cheaper but their selection isn't that good but they do have acids.

[/ QUOTE ]

before acid there was a cigar called the lars tetons. he made a few different ones but one was shaped like a rather large cone. it was like a torpedo that just kept getting bigger the end of it was probably 65 ring guage. these were incredible cigars. if you caqn find one now it will be very expensive (if it is and original around 1998) but it will be worth it.

limon
02-05-2007, 11:41 PM
great primer guids. i saw it while smoking a cigar...eerie. i busted out a 2002 cohiba robusto cause im still celebrating my superbowl win and its the best thing i have in the humidor now. if anyone wants a cheap daily i suggest the oliva serie g belicoso. awesome little smoke 3 buck...while they last. if you want to spend some dough TTT trinidad fundador or padron anniversario if you cant get cubans.

cobrakai111
02-05-2007, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2619

These are awesome. I dont know how well they work with cigs, but cigar smoke I know fades a lot faster out of things, than cigarettes. W/ the candle, and maybe a cracked window, you cant even smell the cigar 30 minutes after smoking. These arent the exact candles my I buy at my cigar shop, but Im sure there isnt much diff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't even know these existed, I also curtailed my smoking because of cold winters. Looking forward to trying this out.

anacrime
02-06-2007, 02:22 AM
oliva grand cameroon torpedos are my fav so far.

r&j's a close second

chisness
02-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Don't have much exp at all but R&J's are easily my fave out of the 5 or so I've tried, seems like a perfect not too mild not too strong taste.

cjmewett
02-06-2007, 03:17 AM
I can't give any sort of authoritative info on "the best cigars," because it's really a matter of taste. That said, I really enjoy the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 (I know, theoretically not as good as the 90s, but more suited to my taste), Romeo y Julieta Aniversario (black and silver band), Arturo Fuente Hemingway and Don Carlos #2, and a nice little $4 cigar by Cusano called the 18, which is certainly the best value and might be the most consistently smooth, easy-smoking cigar I've ever had.

Daddy Warbucks
02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Something big that has been left out of the OP.

Lighting

The best thing to light cigars with is a butane lighter, preferably a dualjet for a wider flame. Butane is preferable to a normal lighter because the gas won't change the flavour of the tobacco. If you don't have access to a butane lighter, try using the cedar paper that comes with most cigars. Just break off a piece, light it, then light your cigar for it.

To light your cigar, hold it about an inch above the flame, then roll the cigar between you thumb and index finger to get an even light. A good cigar only needs to be smoked every minute or so to stay lit, so try to avoid relighting your cigar.

On cutting, a double edged cutter is best. This applies pressure evenly to both sides of the cigar at once, reducing the chances of tearing the cigars wrapping. After that, the hierarchy i believe goes double edged cutter > cigar scissors > single blade cutter.

My personal favourites are cohiba's and monte cristo's, but because i'm a euro and can get genuine cubans, i can't comment on what the quality or taste is like on their US counterparts. If you can get the real thing though, my usual is the monte cristo number 2, which will run you about 20 dollars a cigar. It's very smooth, and has an easy draw. Very enjoyable to smoke.

amplify
02-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Fuente Fuente Opus X is easily the best cigar commercially available. I don't smoke anymore but I have smoked thousands of cigars and nothing else comes close with respect to construction, draw, flavor. Magnificent smoke. I don't know if they are any more available now, they used to be pretty scarce.

Definitely buy your smokes from www.jrcigar.com (http://www.jrcigar.com), they are by far the best, for pipe tobacco as well. Once I started smoking the heavy heavy perique tobaccos like Dunhill I stopped smoking cigars.

RichC.
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Something big that has been left out of the OP.

Lighting

The best thing to light cigars with is a butane lighter, preferably a dualjet for a wider flame. Butane is preferable to a normal lighter because the gas won't change the flavour of the tobacco. If you don't have access to a butane lighter, try using the cedar paper that comes with most cigars. Just break off a piece, light it, then light your cigar for it.

To light your cigar, hold it about an inch above the flame, then roll the cigar between you thumb and index finger to get an even light. A good cigar only needs to be smoked every minute or so to stay lit, so try to avoid relighting your cigar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with using a lighter of any sort for a cigar. Matches are a much better choice. However, if using a lighter, then I think you are correct in your choice. I have a couple butane lighters, mostly for the convenience and ease of use but I rarely use them if matches are available.

Matches > Butane Lighter > Cedar Wrap > Gas Lighter.

Daddy Warbucks
02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I dislike matches, even safety ones, because they burn too quickly and the flame is uneven. If i don't have a lighter, i usually just light the cedar paper with the match, as it burns a lot slower.

guids
02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Dont ever light your cigar with normal matches, only wooden ones.

MTUCache
02-06-2007, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fuente Fuente Opus X is easily the best cigar commercially available. I don't smoke anymore but I have smoked thousands of cigars and nothing else comes close with respect to construction, draw, flavor. Magnificent smoke. I don't know if they are any more available now, they used to be pretty scarce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opus X are certainly great cigars, but very over-hyped. They may be worth the MSRP on them, but you can find many cigars which are very similar for a much more reasonable price.

Opus X are available at pretty much any decent tobaconnist year round. Dealing with Fuente (the manufacturer) isn't usually a treat for smaller shops, but any decent sized shop will have plenty of Fuente product on the shelves.

The Fuente Anejos are even more rare/expensive than the Opus, and arguably a better smoke. They usually only come out near New Years and Father's Day, and usually sell out of any retailer within a matter of hours, regardless of the price.

If you're looking for a great cigar, with flawless construction, and a good reputation, the Opus X is a great place to look for it. But, pretty much anything in the Fuente line is going to have similar quality, and probably a much better price. Personally I prefer the Hemingways to the Opus, simply because there isn't as much of a nicotine-punch in them.

Keep in mind, Fuente is just one of several GREAT cigar manufacturers that larger shops will carry. Punch, Cohiba, Carlos Torano, La Aurora, Romeo Y Julieta, Macanudo, etc, etc are all great larger manufacturers.

Lately though I've been focused on some of the more boutique cigar brands. Brands like Padilla, Tatuaje, Rocky Patel, are much smaller operations, but put out absolutely fantastic products.

The Acid line, mentioned earlier in this thread is a very popular line of infused cigars, made by Drew Estate. They're advertised more as an "entry" type cigar, and definitely marketed towards young people, but some of them are very good smokes as well. Although the older, more traditional, smokers may look down on you for liking them, they do have some very good cigars. My personal favorite infused cigar is the "Java" (made by Drew Estate for Rocky Patel).

Couple things I'd like to touch on from the original poster... throw out the crap sponge that comes with your humidor. It's garbage. Get something from your local shop that is an ACTIVE humidification system. Something that can release and absorb moisture. Products like "the puck", or humidor gel, or humidity beads, are all very cheap and are MUCH more effective at maintaining your humidity level. Additionally, when "curing" your humidor, it's probably best not to wipe down the spanish cedar on the inside with water. Applying that much moisture directly to your humidor could actually warp the wood inside it. If you've got the patience to wait a couple of days, just set a small bowl of distilled water inside of your humidor... the wood will absorb what it needs without ending up with a puddle at the bottom of your humidor or warping.

My current list:
- Hemingways... my favorites. Always on hand.
- CAO Brazilia/Italia... nice change of pace.
- Cusano 18 (double Connecticut)... my go-to for a milder smoke. Perfect for an inexperienced smoker.
- Comacho Corojo
- La Aurora (Preferido or C Ananos)
- Rocky Patel Edge (or Edge Lite)

Also, for those of you lucky enough to be going to Vegas in the near future... make sure to check out the Casa Fuente. I haven't been there yet, but as a Fuente slappy, it sounds like paradise. All the Anejos and Opus X you could want, along with their own private blend you can only get from Fuente's ONLY retail location on the planet. Expect to pay a premium (obviously... it's on the strip), but keep in mind that a portion of Casa Fuente's profits go to help the Cigar Family's charities, so you can feel good about yourself while you're dropping $500+ on something you're going to light on fire.

Whew... can you tell I'm passionate about my cigars yet. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bicycles_Biatch
02-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Carlos Tarrano are the best daily smokers I've found.

If you're in vegas you have to stop by the Pyute smoke shop... BEST prices on the west coast.

amplify
02-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I'll also put in a kind word for the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, an excellent cigar at any price.

cjmewett
02-06-2007, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My current list:
- Hemingways... my favorites. Always on hand.
- CAO Brazilia/Italia... nice change of pace.
- Cusano 18 (double Connecticut)... my go-to for a milder smoke. Perfect for an inexperienced smoker.
- Comacho Corojo
- La Aurora (Preferido or C Ananos)
- Rocky Patel Edge (or Edge Lite)

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
Arturo Fuente Hemingway and Don Carlos #2, and a nice little $4 cigar by Cusano called the 18, which is certainly the best value and might be the most consistently smooth, easy-smoking cigar I've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]
This man knows what he's talking about.

limon
02-06-2007, 09:06 PM
...i dont, sorta. i take a small draw, followed by a very long mouth filling draw while at the same time inhaling, through my nose, the smoke from the tip of the cigar created by the original small draw. sounds complicated but i feel it gives me full sensory enjoyment of each puff. and yes ancardo i am a horrible wretched human being for thinking this through and enjoying it so, so much. dont even ask how i drink wine.

kipin
02-06-2007, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dont even ask how i drink wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with your mouth?

guids
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I agree, I just found my notes, and Ive had them all except teh rockey patel, I gave them all between a 6 and a 9, so good stuff there. Personally, I think opus X, adn the padron aniverseries (26 and 64) are really over-rated, they are kind fo harsh, even thogh they burn good. I just got a call from a friend, and Im going out, but tommorow, Ill post on how to spot fake cubans, I have ordered from 2 internet sites, 1 good, one bad, but I got a guy in jamaica that ships them up to me now, he told me everythign too look for.

Aces McGee
02-07-2007, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll also put in a kind word for the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, an excellent cigar at any price.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've mentioned these in other threads, but the HdM Double Maduro Rothschild is really an excellent cigar for its price ($2-$3). Great flavor for those who like maduro wrappers.

-McGee

cjmewett
02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think opus X, adn the padron aniverseries (26 and 64) are really over-rated, they are kind fo harsh, even thogh they burn good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. I've smoked Fuentes for ten years and had heard all about the Opus X before I finally tried one about a year ago. (I used to live in Dallas, and apparently they weren't available west of the Mississippi for quite a while.) All I can say is... meh. It was fine, but I much prefer the Hemingways. And I was completely underwhelmed by the Padron 26 that I had -- a $20+ cigar and I perhaps smoked half of it. It certainly wasn't a matter of bad construction or anything, it just didn't match my taste.

Wondercall
02-07-2007, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think opus X, adn the padron aniverseries (26 and 64) are really over-rated, they are kind fo harsh, even thogh they burn good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. I've smoked Fuentes for ten years and had heard all about the Opus X before I finally tried one about a year ago. (I used to live in Dallas, and apparently they weren't available west of the Mississippi for quite a while.) All I can say is... meh. It was fine, but I much prefer the Hemingways. And I was completely underwhelmed by the Padron 26 that I had -- a $20+ cigar and I perhaps smoked half of it. It certainly wasn't a matter of bad construction or anything, it just didn't match my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with you guys on the Padrons burning a little harsh. The first quarter is usually very pleasant, followed by a mediocre finish. I haven't tried the Opus X yet but I may not if you are comparing it to the Padron. Tonight I'll probably smoke an Acid I bought because I hadn't smoked one in some time, then I'll go to the store and pick up something else.

MTUCache
02-07-2007, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It certainly wasn't a matter of bad construction or anything, it just didn't match my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. In order to live up to the hype (and price) of a cigar like that, it's got to have that "something extra". In the case of Opus X, that something extra is a very heavy nicotine punch and a VERY long finish... not exactly positive things on many peoples' list of priorities.

Personally, I don't mind the extra nic-buzz. In fact, sometimes I'll specifically look for a cigar like that. But, that extra long finish on it is something that I really don't get any pleasure from.

As far as the construction, draw, burn, and flavor-profile, I'd give it a solid "A" grade in all categories... just doesn't fit well enough into my pallette to be worth the $15-30/stick.

As far as the Hemingways, which ones are you partial to?

Since I'm in CO, and the winter has been extra cold, I've been sticking to the Maduro Short Stories for my "regular" smoke (which is probably only two per week now) since I can get back inside within a half hour or so. During the summer I'll reach for a Cameroon Signature. I just can't get enough of that perfecto shape... especially since it still burns and draws so perfectly.

Also, have you tried the Cusano 18 Paired Maduro yet? I'm loving the Double Connecticut, but haven't tried the PM as of yet. I'm not big on Cusano's Vintage Corojo, but I'd definitely be willing to try some more stuff from them.

cjmewett
02-07-2007, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't mind the extra nic-buzz. In fact, sometimes I'll specifically look for a cigar like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
The best example I can give of a cigar with this sort of "nic-buzz" is the Ashton Heritage Churchill. This is the only cigar that's ever made me vomit -- my head was swimming. Seven or 8 years ago I smoked some sort of special edition Fuente that was something like a 10" x 60 -- lasted about two and a half hours and I felt like I'd drank a six pack of beer when I was done.
[ QUOTE ]
But, that extra long finish on it is something that I really don't get any pleasure from.

[/ QUOTE ]
Totally agree.
[ QUOTE ]
As far as the Hemingways, which ones are you partial to?

Since I'm in CO, and the winter has been extra cold, I've been sticking to the Maduro Short Stories for my "regular" smoke (which is probably only two per week now) since I can get back inside within a half hour or so. During the summer I'll reach for a Cameroon Signature. I just can't get enough of that perfecto shape... especially since it still burns and draws so perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer the signature. I love the unique shape and the draw and burn are as good as on any cigar I've ever smoked. I think there's something to the fact that I broke into cigars smoking Curly Heads and 8-5-8s, so the Don Carlos line was like a luxury buy for me. For about five years I smoked them almost exclusively.
[ QUOTE ]
Also, have you tried the Cusano 18 Paired Maduro yet? I'm loving the Double Connecticut, but haven't tried the PM as of yet. I'm not big on Cusano's Vintage Corojo, but I'd definitely be willing to try some more stuff from them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't smoke a whole ton of maduros and I haven't tried this one. Actually, the 18 is the only Cusano I've ever had. It was a recommendation from a shop owner a couple years ago and I wasn't expecting much at all when I saw the price tag. Needless to say, I was very, very pleasantly surprised. If you told me I could only pick one cigar to smoke every day for the rest of my life, it would probably be this one; I can enjoy it at 9am on a Sunday with coffee, the newspaper, and an empty stomach or at midnight after a big steak dinner (though that's when I'd prefer a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 or a La Flor Dominicana chisel tip). I think there's a lot to be said for a smoke that's this smooth and versatile. There aren't a whole lot of cigars that I'd enjoy at any hour of the day.

Aces McGee
02-07-2007, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best example I can give of a cigar with this sort of "nic-buzz" is the Ashton Heritage Churchill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea if it's useful to list these kinds of cigars, but the La Flor Dominicana Chisel did it to me.

-McGee

cjmewett
02-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I've had the same reaction to that cigar when I've smoked it on anything less than a completely full stomach.

anduril
02-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Anyone ever had an Ashton Virgin Sun Grown (VSG)? It's my favorite legal cigar next to padron 1926.

Aces McGee
02-09-2007, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever had an Ashton Virgin Sun Grown (VSG)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got around to smoking one of these a couple weeks ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it (I think I had the Sorcerer). My only complaint was that the finish was a little long for my taste, if that makes sense.

-McGee

Daddy Warbucks
02-09-2007, 09:55 PM
A question i had that a canadian friend of mine wasn't able to answer:

Are you able to buy genuine cuban cigars in Canada?

guids
02-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Yes, but there are fakes up there too.

Daddy Warbucks
02-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Why is that? I thought Canada wasn't affected by the embargo?

guids
02-09-2007, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is that? I thought Canada wasn't affected by the embargo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Has little to do with the embargo, cuban cigars are very simple to fake, and there is a ton of money to be made selling fugazis to people who dont know the diff from an original.

bd8802
02-10-2007, 12:00 PM
I would be interested in knowing what some good starter cigars would be. The smoke shop around here was only mildly helpful in my quest to become a cigar smoker. It is actually rather intimidating to do into those places without much knowledge, so I thank the OP for making this thread and giving some insight on the terminology.

The cigar shop suggested getting some of the samplers that they had at the time. One was from Macanudo and the other was from Cusano. I smoked these a while ago, so I do not remember all my thoughts on them, but I thought the Cusano's that I had were excellent. I wish I would have remembered exactly what they were.

The real question that I have for all you people that know much more than me, what cigars should I start out with? And after I know some more and appreciate cigars where should I go from there? I think there is a progression in cigars much like scotch. You do not start out with an Islay scotch, but rather a Highland. There has to be something around that in cigars.

I want a good once or twice a week experience without busting the bank. Thanks!

Combusted
02-10-2007, 12:12 PM
This thread has got me curious about cigars. Whats a quality website to order from that doesn't sell fakes (like guids previously mentioned).

Thanks.

Aces McGee
02-10-2007, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread has got me curious about cigars. Whats a quality website to order from that doesn't sell fakes (like guids previously mentioned).

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Combusted, do you smoke cigars already? If not, I don't think it's wise to start off by ordering Cubans. You have to order them by the box, I believe, which means you'd need to get a humidor, etc. It will be not-insignificant investment, and you should find out if you actually enjoy the hobby first.

I know that doesn't ansewr your question (I've never ordered Cuban cigars online), but it's just my two cents.

-McGee

ratholeusoul
02-12-2007, 10:40 AM
I recently bought the Adorini brand Santiago humidor from http://www.humidordiscount.com/Humidors_Adorini/Santiago.html
http://www.humidordiscount.com/oscommerce_images/hum_medium/Santiago_closed.jpg

This is my second humidor, the previous one was from the same shop and relatively smaller model. Both these have been great, for the single exception that the hydrometers aren't very accurate. Other than that, they're perfect, come with a lifetime guarantee and quite affordable.

As for shopping for cigars, I recommend Spanish internet shops. The tobacco tax in Spain is quite nonexistant - meaning you can get very affordable prices on Cubans.

https://www.cigartradingonline.com/default.asp This shop has free worldwide delivery and ridiculously cheap prices. I'd especially recommend trying my alltime favourite, the Trinidad Fundadores (you can get 10x for $130!) which rate as top end Cubans but much cheaper than Cohibas.

I've heard wonderful things said about Onyx Reserve, http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=151 which pack Cigar Afficionado ratings of 90+ but come at a $4/stick, but unfortunately none of the EU shops sell them so I haven't had the chance to try them out. People living in the North America should definitely try them out /images/graemlins/smile.gif And pm me if you could arrange me a shipping of a few boxes /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MTUCache
02-12-2007, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The real question that I have for all you people that know much more than me, what cigars should I start out with? And after I know some more and appreciate cigars where should I go from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I think the best way to get started with cigars is kind of the same way most of the guys around here started learning more about poker... find an online forum resource that you can trust, and lurk around for a while. My personal favorite is clubstogie.com... also, there's a handful of really good cigar podcasts out there that you can download.

One trap that you see cigar-newbs fall into constantly is the hype or reputation. As with most things, "value" has very little to do with "price", and everyone enjoys different things. I've smoked FANTASTIC cigars that were $2/stick, and I've smoked some complete dogrockets that cost me upwards of $15.

If you're JUST starting out, I'd suggest trying out a handful of the larger manufacturers, so you know you're at least getting a decent-quality product, and just buy single sticks. All different wrappers, all different sizes. You'll learn really quickly that you prefer a Connecticut or a Maduro wrapper, or if you like a Robusto or a Churchill. Once you learn the lingo and what you like, it's pretty easy to branch out from there to some other types of cigars that you're not familiar with.

Don't be intimidated by a B&M tobacconist... they should be there to educate you and to steer you in the right direction. You should be able to tell your tobacconist what you've liked or disliked in the past, and he should be able to point you towards some other pruduct that you might like. Preferably without just pointing you right at the $20/stick garbage.

Also, don't always associate a dark wrapper on a cigar with a very powerful cigar. Don't be afraid to grab that CAO MX2 just because it looks like a deathstick. It's surprisingly gentle. Likewise, don't always assume that a lighter wrapper means it's not going to knock your socks off. Some of the mildest looking cigars will have you swimming before you're done.

Keep trying, experimenting, learning. You'll find some favorites pretty quickly, but don't ever just limit yourself to one brand, one wrapper, one size, etc.

If you're anything like me, you'll jump right into it quickly. You'll start out thinking that you should only smoke mild cigars. Then you'll love a couple of really bold cigars. Then you'll start to appreciate the complexity of some expensive cigars. Then you'll realize that your wallet is empty and you need to find some good budget cigars. By that point your tastes and pallet will have developed to the point where you'll want certain cigar profiles for different times.

MTUCache
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A question i had that a canadian friend of mine wasn't able to answer:

Are you able to buy genuine cuban cigars in Canada?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... but not cheaply.

It's surprising, but the not having the embargo in Canada has actually hurt the real afficianados north of the border. It seems that their local shops will ONLY carry Cubans, because that's what 90% of the people in their shop want. They're just casual cigar smokers, and assume that cubans are the best, so that's all the shop will carry.

If you ask me, cubans aren't any better or worse than stuff that comes out of the Dominican, Nicaraugua, Ecuador, even some Costa Rican stuff... they're certainly different, but not really better. They've got a very unique taste profile that I can understand certain people enjoy, but why limit yourself to just one type of cigar when there's so many other great ones out there?

Add to that all the taxes, fakes, etc... I'm actually kinda happy that in the US we've been "forced" to enjoy so many other types of cigars.

Most of the cubans I've smoked I'd rank between 6/10 and 8/10... certainly above-average. But I've had some AWESOME smokes from other places (in fact, most of those are blends from two or three different countries).

Again, most of the mystique around cubans is that forbidden fruit thing... A casual smoker who smokes just one or two cigars per year is just caught up in the hype of them. Their reputation FAR out-reaches the actual level of their cigars.

cjmewett
02-12-2007, 12:30 PM
These last two posts are both great and right-on. Agree about diversity being a good thing -- it frustrates me not to be able to find Dominicans in Europe.

bd8802
02-12-2007, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're JUST starting out, I'd suggest trying out a handful of the larger manufacturers, so you know you're at least getting a decent-quality product, and just buy single sticks. All different wrappers, all different sizes. You'll learn really quickly that you prefer a Connecticut or a Maduro wrapper, or if you like a Robusto or a Churchill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the great response!

I have always been curious what the difference is between the different sizes. Obviously, the longer cigars will smoke longer, but is there a taste difference or anything else?

cjmewett
02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
It's generally understood that the larger sizes have more complex flavors, though this isn't always true. Often you'll find that the draw and burn are significantly different from one size to the next, as well.

cjmewett
02-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Question for those others of you who live in cold places with smoking bans: where do you smoke in the winter?

I haven't had a cigar since well before Christmas, as DC passed a smoking ban on January 2. (It was already hard enough to find a place that didn't mind you smoking a cigar.) It's 43 right now -- warmest it's been in three weeks, probably -- and I'm considering just sucking it up and sitting on the porch. I rent and can't smoke indoors.

Suggestions?

MTUCache
02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoke. Definitely.

Living here in Colorado, smoking outside through the winter has turned into a pretty nice routine.

Start coffee pot.
Pour small glass of scotch.
Light cigar.
Go freeze outside.
Smoke/drink.
After 1"-1.5" of cigar, set cigar down, finish scotch and go back inside.
Warm up while pouring large cup of coffee.
Go smoke second third of cigar with coffee.
Warm up/pour another cup.
Finish cigar/coffee.
Go warmup.

It sucks, but it's way better than not having any cigar. I've survived out on the porch in temperatures below 0, depending on the windchill of course.

MTUCache
02-12-2007, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have always been curious what the difference is between the different sizes. Obviously, the longer cigars will smoke longer, but is there a taste difference or anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are taste differences, but honestly I don't think my pallet is complex or experienced enough to be able to tell the difference in a blind taste-test.

First, like you said, would be the length of time it takes to smoke. That, to me, is the most important part about why I choose one size over another. If I've got the time to enjoy a nice Churchill, I'm going to consider it. But, if it's freaking freezing outside and I'm not going to survive longer than a half hour, maybe I'll just get through two-thirds of a Robusto. I'm definitely not going to be lighting up anything longer than a corona if I'm just going to end up bored halfway through or frozen to death.

Second, would be the ring-guage. I prefer a ring-guage in the 50s. It just feels better in the fingers, and has a draw that I prefer. People will tell you that a fatter cigar will have a much different flavor than a thinner one because of the different ratio of wrapper to filler, but I haven't really noticed all that much of a difference.

Third would be the length. This obviously has a lot to do with the time it takes to smoke, but can also make a big difference in the complexity of the cigar. The longer a cigar is, the more different unique leaves are going to be in the filler (assuming it's a long-filler premium cigar). So, the more combinations of burning leaves it's going to have throughout the cigar. A really complex, well-blended cigar is going to change flavor every half-inch or so because of this. If that's something you really enjoy, maybe a longer cigar will be better for you. For me, I don't mind a consistant flavor in my cigar. I enjoy complex ones, but only when I've really got the time and energy to sit down and focus ONLY on the cigar. If I'm drinking, playing cards, playing golf, etc... I don't care too much if it's going to be changing flavors every five minutes.

So... that's my take on it.
First priority is time on-hand. (Length)
Second is feel in-hand. (Ring-guage)
Third is levels of complexity. (a combination).

In my experience, a robusto is the right size for me in just about every situation. It's long/wide enough to get some complex flavors going. It's got a nice wide easy draw on it. It's a short enough smoke that I'm not going to spend all evening on one cigar. If I've got extra time I'll have two or three robustos instead of having one huge cigar.

Bicycles_Biatch
02-12-2007, 05:37 PM
this weekend I smoked a "La Flora" Ligaro... it was Awesome...

super dark-oily wrapper. Great flavor. Nutty taste. WOW

The thing was WAY strong though... basically put me on my ass.

bd8802
02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Another great reply MTU. I thank you so much for your information. I have been looking over clubstogie.com this afternoon and between the posts here and there I have a fighting chance the next time I go to the B&M smoke shop. I got a nice short list of things to look for. The spring can not get here soon enough.

Short list to look for (please critique and advise):
Cusano 18 - I am pretty sure I have smoked a couple of these before and I enjoyed them.
Onyx Reserve
Punch Elite
Montecristo Afrique
Macaduno Maduro - I think I actualy have one of thse in the humidor right now. Supposed to be nice in a couple days. Looking forward to burning it.
A. Fuente Curly Head

MTUCache
02-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Seems like a pretty solid list. At least a nice cross-section of what's out there in the industry.

I can tell you right now that there's cigars there that I loved, cigars I didn't, and two that I haven't had (but should).

You'll spend around $30 on that stash, and within two weeks you'll be back in there re-stocking up on all sorts of new ones.

One thing that I wish I would have done when I started smoking cigars (which really wasn't that long ago, just a few months really), was to keep a journal of what I liked and didn't like. Since I just get singles mostly, and go through a handful per week, I honestly don't remember what I thought about a lot of sticks I had a couple months ago... so now I see them in the B&M and I'm not sure if it's worth giving them another shot.

Oh... and do yourself a favor and google "Dog Watch Social Club". Best podcast on the net. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Predator314
02-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm just getting started with the cigar "hobby". I'm learning as I go and it's fun.

I bought this humidor "combo" kit from cheaphumidors.com:
http://bankrollhelper.com/images/humidor.jpg

The lighter is decent. Haven't used the cutter because I have a set of Xicar double guillotine cutters. The hygrometer has been decent so far, althouth I did have to calibrate it (I guess this is standard). The humidor is pretty well made. I seasoned it without any problems by taking a shot glass of distilled water and putting in the bottom. I also put charged my humidifier with a 50/50 solution that was included in the kit. I'm happy with the purchase.

This will probably be my last humidor purchase for a while since I would rather spend my money on the cigars themselves. So my next humidor will be a "Coolidor". You can find plans on Clugstogie.com for converting a standard cooler into a humidor.

I've ordered a set of 70% RH beads from Heartfelt Industries. I'm going to take my humidifier apart and replace the green foam stuff with these beads. Hopefully this will work better with the dry winter air.

As far as the actual cigars go, I've been trying out everything I can. I've bought a couple samplers online. I also have a B&M shop about 5 miles from my house that has a decent selection in a walk in humidor.

So far my list of cigars that I've tried include:
-La Finca Valentinos
-5 Vegas Gold Churchill
-Connecticut by Rocky Patel Toro
-Fonseca 5-50
-Gurkha Connecticut Robusto
-Playboy by Don Diego (different sizes)
-Assorted Romeo y Julietas

Probably some more, but those are off the top of my head. I have a few Montecristos and H Upmann's in my humidor, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I also have a 5 pack of Vintage 1992 Rocky Patels that should be here today and a 5 pack of Partagas Black Classicos that should be here in Tuesday. I won these on CigarBid.

Out of all the cigars I have tried so far, the Playboy's were my favorite. They are a pretty decent early morning to afternoon cigar.

Wondercall
03-05-2007, 04:38 AM
OK, this thread needs a bump. I have been smoking daily for the past couple of weeks. A couple cigars I REALLY enjoyed:

CAO Cameroon
Oliva Series O

I couple cigars I didn't enjoy at all:

Rocky Patel 1992 Vintage
Padron 1964 Anniversary

Now I know the ones I didn't enjoy are supposed to be higher end, but I just couldn't get into them. This is the third Padron I have smoked that I didn't enjoy. Is this just because my palette hasn't really developed enough or are there some cigars that you just don't like?

Also, I will be in Mexico and Las Vegas next week, and I am looking for something unique to smoke in both places. Ideas? The Opus X is not available anywhere in Arizona from what I hear, will I be able to get something in Las Vegas? Someone mentioned Fuente has a shop there, where is it located?

Edit: Forgot to ask. What are some good places to smoke on the strip? Does the wine bar in the Rio let you smoke there?

cjmewett
03-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I've said before on this thread that the Rocky Patel 92 is my favorite cigar right now, but I agree with you about the Padron. I don't find them to be similar in any way. That said, I'm certainly no authority on flavor profiles and I just know what tastes good to me. So if you don't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it.

Unfortunately I can't answer your Vegas or Mexico questions, though considering your expressed preferences I'd say that you're probably not going to particularly enjoy an Opus X even if you can find one (certainly not to the tune of $30ish a stick).

MTUCache
03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone mentioned Fuente has a shop there, where is it located?

[/ QUOTE ]

Still haven't been there myself, but from what I understand it's in the shops in Ceasers... not that this narrows it down all that much, but it should give you a decent starting place. They will have all the Opus, Forbidden Opus, Casa Fuente, Anejo, Flora Fina, and Hemingways you could ever possibly want. Bring extra money. And as above-poster mentioned, if you're not a big Padron/Rocky fan, you may not enjoy the Opus either... that thing is a nicotine bomb with a LONG finish on it.

Also... new stick to pimp that I had for the first time last night. La Vieja Habana, by Drew Estate. I haven't been all that big of a fan of the DE stuff, because I hate the Acid line, but this one blew me away. The LVH not only was a very good mixed-filler cigar, but the price point on this badboy is PERFECT. Boxes of 20 under $50 online, unheard of for just about anything else we've talked about in this topic.

The Corojo LVH doesn't suit my personal tastes as well as some others, but I'm pretty damn excited to try the Connecticut, Cameroon, and the Maduro wrappers. At $2.50/stick, I'll be buying these by the box even if they're just average. Perfect for weddings, or non-smoking buddies. Great presentation, great box, great band, etc... they look like much more expensive cigars, and the taste/smoke/construction is enough to fool most people.

Rick Nebiolo
03-05-2007, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely buy your smokes from www.jrcigar.com (http://www.jrcigar.com), they are by far the best, for pipe tobacco as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've ordered from them for ten years and never had a problem.

~ Rick

ratholeusoul
03-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Guys check this out... seems too good to be true. Unfortunately they don't ship to EU, so I can't try it myself /images/graemlins/frown.gif The prices seem fantastic, and the webpage is serious enough not to seem sketchy.

http://www.puroexpress.com/

MTUCache
03-08-2007, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Guys check this out... seems too good to be true. Unfortunately they don't ship to EU, so I can't try it myself /images/graemlins/frown.gif The prices seem fantastic, and the webpage is serious enough not to seem sketchy.

http://www.puroexpress.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly about that seems too good to be true?

They've got Sancho Panzas on there selling for upwards of $8-17/stick, even if you buy them by the box. I think I can get most of those around here for 1/3 to 1/2 that price.

I'm not too up on the pricing for most cubans, and I definitely don't know crap about Euro prices for them, but every price on this site seems to be ridiculously high.

On a second look, the prices on the Punch and Cohiba don't look all that bad... but still, not much of a "deal" to get excited about. You can find better prices at most of the online dealers.

C-Dog
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Try http://www.coh-hk.com for Cubans.

I think the prices are good.

I have never ordered from them, but I have heard they are very reliable from people I know irl.

C-Dog

ratholeusoul
03-08-2007, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have never ordered from them, but I have heard they are very reliable from people I know irl.

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh sir, I'm gonna try them out. Also, if anybody knows a cigar shop where I could get Onyx Reserve shipped to Europe, plz holla.

MTUCache
03-09-2007, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if anybody knows a cigar shop where I could get Onyx Reserve shipped to Europe, plz holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cigar.com (http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=151)

Have to call their 800 number to verify they ship to your specific country, but they don't say anything about not shipping to Europe.

rsk111
03-09-2007, 01:10 AM
I need to buy a box of cigars as a gift for someone who likes cigars, but only smokes them occasionally (i.e., he is not the connaisseur that some of you are). It's last minute, so I can't buy online. I'm looking for something that's $50-$75 a box and would be available at most B&M stores. Any suggestions? Is this price range too low to get anything good?

MTUCache
03-09-2007, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I need to buy a box of cigars as a gift for someone who likes cigars, but only smokes them occasionally (i.e., he is not the connaisseur that some of you are). It's last minute, so I can't buy online. I'm looking for something that's $50-$75 a box and would be available at most B&M stores. Any suggestions? Is this price range too low to get anything good?

[/ QUOTE ]

La Vieja Habana... about $35-40/box online, probably around $50-60 in a B&M.

Any of the wrappers are good (or so I've heard), although the Corojo are the easiest to find.

The Chateau Coronas look extra fancy, with the cedar wraps on them. Definitely don't look (or smoke) like $2/stick cigars.

C-Dog
03-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Anyone have experiences with the Flavored Cigars?

ACID
CAO Flavors
or others I can't think of.

I have only really tried the CAO Moontrance, but I really liked it, and I think I am going to buy a box of each flavor they have, 6 in total. I may just buy the 6 flavor sampler and a box of Moontrance's first though.

C-Dog

rsk111
03-10-2007, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

La Vieja Habana... about $35-40/box online, probably around $50-60 in a B&M.

Any of the wrappers are good (or so I've heard), although the Corojo are the easiest to find.

The Chateau Coronas look extra fancy, with the cedar wraps on them. Definitely don't look (or smoke) like $2/stick cigars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the rec. I called two nearby cigar shops and neither had these. Any other ideas?

neuroman
03-10-2007, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Total cigar noob here. I don't understand why what you use to light a cigar matters so much. Wouldn't whatever flavor is imparted by the propane lighter/matches dissipate in a few puffs?

guids
03-10-2007, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Total cigar noob here. I don't understand why what you use to light a cigar matters so much. Wouldn't whatever flavor is imparted by the propane lighter/matches dissipate in a few puffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are using butane, or cedar to light your cigar it is fine becuase those two things dont give off much odor. When you light a cigar with a book of paper matches, the sulphur smell sucks up into all the tobbaco of the cigar and [censored] the taste up a little.

limon
03-11-2007, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you want to waste those puffs? you wanna have gas or sulfur on your first bite of steak?

ratholeusoul
03-21-2007, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered a small box of 15 Montecristos, and they got stuck in the customs, meaning I had to pay around the same amount as their value on in the shop to get em. So if you live in EU, you can certainly get a better bargain.

That aside, the product seems genuine and the service was great with the tracking codes and so forth.

tmfs
03-21-2007, 09:10 PM
I haven't tried too many different cigars so far (probably 15 or so), but I smoked a gurkha grand reserved and really enjoyed it.

Wondercall
03-22-2007, 03:41 AM
I just picked up an Opus X at Casa Fuente on Monday, I'm excited. I'll report back when I smoke it.

astarck
03-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Anyone have any experience with CigarsInternational.com?

C-Dog
03-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I do a majority of my purchasing from CigarBid.com which is basically a subsidiary of Cigars International. I have done some ordering from them straight as well. I like them in general. Here are some links for the stores I use:

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/index.cfm
http://www.cigarmony.com/store/index.php
http://www.cheapercigars.com/
http://www.seriouscigars.com/
http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/index.cfm
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/index.asp

I usually compare prices between those sites. In addition, here are some Cigar Deal sites:

http://todayscigar.com/
http://www.beerliquors.com/cigar/friday_sale.htm
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/spec_oneday.asp
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ab-cigars&redirCnt=1

C-Dog

astarck
03-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks! I'm a total cigar noob but this thread has made me want to become more adventurous with my cigar smoking.

Oh, and post 1000!!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Im_Your_ATM
03-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Spending about $150 on a friend's wedding gift and cigar/cigar products are what I'd like to do. He has a barebones humidor, an expensive lighter but that's it. He is not an expert but he probably has preferences I'm unaware of. I'm not going to ask him what he likes as it would ruin the surprise. Spend my $150 for me.

Unrelated Question #1: If an inexperienced smoker gets sick after smoking, how likely is it that it's related? If anything at all, what are they doing wrong?

Unrelated Question #2: I hate how the smell gets underneath my fingernails/hard to wash out of my hands. Prevention? Remedying the problem once it has already occurred?

Unrelated Question #3: When for whatever reason you get an uneven light how should you fix this? Just smoke through it or relight it?

MTUCache
03-26-2007, 11:58 AM
$150: On one person? You've got an almost infinite amount of choices here, assuming you're just going to get a box of something. Otherwise, I'd get a top end cigar ($20-30) for him and a cheaper box. Either way, there's too many choices here to list.

If I was forced to, I'd probably get something like:
- Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Robustos (box of 20) - $120
- Diamond Crown Maximus Double Corona #1 (single) - $30

Prices and availability will vary widely depending on where you're getting them, taxes, and such, so like I said... there's a ton of choices here. Alternate scenario I'd end up getting any box of Fuentes for around $150, as I'm a huge Fuente fan and I've never had a problem with any of their cigars.

UQ#1: Getting "sick" after smoking is usually a function of the nicotine level in the cigar and/or it's full-bodied flavors. This can happen to almost anybody if they haven't eaten in a while, or if they pick up a very potent stick, but more experienced cigar smokers will build up a tolerance for higher nicotine levels. The best cure for this is to get something sugary, like a pop or something. You're definitely not doing anything "wrong", except maybe smoking a cigar that you're not quite ready for. Maybe next time reach for something a bit milder, maybe with a Connecticut or Cameroon wrapper instead of a spicy Criollo or Corojo.

UQ#2: Umm... no idea. Haven't really noticed this before, or rather the smell is just all over instead of in a couple of concentrated areas. They sell products such as "Fresh Air" for getting rid of smells, but usually I'll just change clothes and brush my teeth and it'll be 90% gone (enough for my wife to hang around me again). One thing I have used for getting rid of the very long finish on some cigars is to eat peanutbutter, as it will mask the taste pretty well. I have no idea about what to do about the smell though... deal with it?

UQ#3: Definitely correct this, by using your lighter to burn the "slower" parts of the wrapper, and get it back to an even, straight burn. You'll notice that this type of burn problem happens very rarely in good cigars, but can be very annoying when you're smoking cheap or mid-level cigars. This can get even more frustrating when you're constantly correcting your cigar, or it's tunnelling on you or insists on running up one side. Some cigars just aren't constructed very well, even some expensive ones... you'll find a couple leaves in every batch it seems.

C-Dog
03-26-2007, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Spending about $150 on a friend's wedding gift and cigar/cigar products are what I'd like to do. He has a barebones humidor, an expensive lighter but that's it. He is not an expert but he probably has preferences I'm unaware of. I'm not going to ask him what he likes as it would ruin the surprise. Spend my $150 for me.

Unrelated Question #1: If an inexperienced smoker gets sick after smoking, how likely is it that it's related? If anything at all, what are they doing wrong?

Unrelated Question #2: I hate how the smell gets underneath my fingernails/hard to wash out of my hands. Prevention? Remedying the problem once it has already occurred?

Unrelated Question #3: When for whatever reason you get an uneven light how should you fix this? Just smoke through it or relight it?

[/ QUOTE ]

For 150, I would recommend getting him a Nice Cutter/Punch and a box fo Cigars. You say he has a nice lighter already, so a nice Cutter is a great thing to get. Personally I have a Xikar Xi2 and I really like it. You can get it at most cigar stores, I posted a list above, just price check them and get the best price.

For the Cigar Box, I love the Patel Vintages, so I can't argue with that recommendation.

As for the other questions, I still get a little woozy after some of the stronger cigars, but I hope that goes away. Never the Vintages though /images/graemlins/smile.gif . Not sure what to tell you about the smell, I just smoke like one a day and I have a terrible sense of smell anyway.

C-Dog

Toro
03-26-2007, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered a small box of 15 Montecristos, and they got stuck in the customs, meaning I had to pay around the same amount as their value on in the shop to get em. So if you live in EU, you can certainly get a better bargain.

That aside, the product seems genuine and the service was great with the tracking codes and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought from this site and had no problems whatsoever. I did however have to go to the post office to pick up the package which gave me a little angst, but they didn't know what was in it and there were no problems.

Which makes me wonder, exactly how much trouble would I have been in if the Post office knew they were Cubans?

C-Dog
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I dunno about that. I believe there is a fine just for having them in your possession though. Good to know they made it through to ya.

C-Dog

ratholeusoul
04-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Good and informative cigar review page, mostly Cubans:

http://www.cigars-review.org/

Acein8ter
04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm not a avid smoker, but when I do light one up I like a good smoke. Anyone try 'La Aroma de Cuba'? I have the Corona Minor's and I'll say it's a quality smoke for the price.

Taso
06-17-2007, 10:56 AM
little bump I guess,

I always wondered why some cigars made me dizzy as hell, some of them have taken me out of commission for a while. I'll smoke it, and then 10 minutes later I go to bed.

But, the vintage Rocky Patel (my favorite) didn't have that affect on me either. The Montecristo I tried did, I think the Romeo Y julieta did as well.

Aces McGee
06-18-2007, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
little bump I guess,

I always wondered why some cigars made me dizzy as hell, some of them have taken me out of commission for a while. I'll smoke it, and then 10 minutes later I go to bed.

But, the vintage Rocky Patel (my favorite) didn't have that affect on me either. The Montecristo I tried did, I think the Romeo Y julieta did as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that what you're describing is technically called "nicotine poisoning." Different cigars have different amounts of nicotine, and it can have a nauseating effect on you if you're not used to it.

That said, I thought Montecristo's had a reputation as being relatively mild (in both flavor and "strength"). I think it's more likely that you get that nauseous feeling when you smoke a cigar without having eaten much beforehand.

-McGee

Aces McGee
06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Taso, I just realized that there is some good discussion of this earlier in the thread.

-McGee

Taso
06-18-2007, 10:46 AM
lol yeah, I read that stuff and was just refering to that. The eating before hand is interesting - I've been...broke, as of late, so the whole food thing is a little tricky. Of course, you have to wonder why I'm paying $10 for a cigar when I'm eating the 2:30am give away donuts from Dunkin Donuts... I may need to get my priorities straight.

Anywho, a friend of mine has a good Cuban Cigar hook up through his dad, and I'm going to have my first cuban cigar tonight - I expect to be dissapointed, I don't think I'm intelligent enough (cigar wise) to appreciate a cuban cigar as much as others do. Either way, I'll make sure to eat a lot before hand :P

Hellmouth
06-19-2007, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The sick feeling that you get is because nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. It makes all the blood vessles in your body, including your stomach, where a lot of smoke and nicotine end up, constrict. They are trying to limit how much nicotine goes in. As the other poster mentioned. Eat some sugar which is a vasodialator. It will counter the effect.

I remember a great cigar that I smoked in AC at Caesars. La Flor Double Ligero. Its like a Maduro with a double fermented wrapper. As another poster mentioned, La Flor have a wicked nicotine kick and after about half I felt sick as a dog. Good think that at Caesars they have those free little cups of chocolates. One cup later, plus 1 free coke and I was as good as new.

Greg

GTL
06-19-2007, 02:14 PM
this is a little off topic, but it relates to the people posting about getting sick to their stomach or dizzy after smoking a strong cigar. the first time i smoked a hookah i was amazed out how smooth the smoke was compared to cigarettes or marijuana. you can inhale huge amounts of hookah smoke without it irritating your lungs or making you cough. i think this has to do with the hookah tobacco being burned at a lower temperature because the coals never touch the tobacco.

i was at a hookah bar with a bunch of friends, so we all start trying to impress one another by taking enormous puffs on the hookas. i became so light headed that i got tunnel vision and was sick to my stomach for hours. nicotine is one strong drug.

Hellmouth
06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a little off topic, but it relates to the people posting about getting sick to their stomach or dizzy after smoking a strong cigar. the first time i smoked a hookah i was amazed out how smooth the smoke was compared to cigarettes or marijuana. you can inhale huge amounts of hookah smoke without it irritating your lungs or making you cough. i think this has to do with the hookah tobacco being burned at a lower temperature because the coals never touch the tobacco.

i was at a hookah bar with a bunch of friends, so we all start trying to impress one another by taking enormous puffs on the hookas. i became so light headed that i got tunnel vision and was sick to my stomach for hours. nicotine is one strong drug.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only smoked a hooka a few times and enjoyed it a lot. I think that the reason that the smoke is so smooth is that it is flavored combined with the water filtration. Pipe smoke is similar in flavor but harsher due to no filtration. I am pretty sure you have to have a coal in touch with the tobacco to burn the hooka tobacco though. They always used to take an actual coal where we smoked and stick it on top so that you could smoke it at a very leisurely pace without going out.

Try the sugar next time. It works very well.

Mr. Ratface
07-02-2007, 03:46 AM
I know that this is a fairly old thread, and I originally read it a few weeks back, but upon a recent visit to Cuba, my interest in cigars has really increased. I went to Cuba for about a week, and in that time, smoked aboud a cigar a day. I didn't really know anything about cigars but I must honeslt say that I really enjoyed the cigars in Cuba. I had a few Romeo and Juliet, Cohibas and some Monte Cristos but I can't remember the other names. I'm really interested in learning more about cigars but for now I'll just ask this. Does it make a difference whether you inhale the cigar or not? I always assumed that a cigar was never inhaled but I noticed that some people actually inahle the cigar, so my queation is what is the differwnce between inhaling or not inhaling when smoking a cigar?

+EV
07-02-2007, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know that this is a fairly old thread, and I originally read it a few weeks back, but upon a recent visit to Cuba, my interest in cigars has really increased. I went to Cuba for about a week, and in that time, smoked aboud a cigar a day. I didn't really know anything about cigars but I must honeslt say that I really enjoyed the cigars in Cuba. I had a few Romeo and Juliet, Cohibas and some Monte Cristos but I can't remember the other names. I'm really interested in learning more about cigars but for now I'll just ask this. Does it make a difference whether you inhale the cigar or not? I always assumed that a cigar was never inhaled but I noticed that some people actually inahle the cigar, so my queation is what is the differwnce between inhaling or not inhaling when smoking a cigar?

[/ QUOTE ]

People do inhale cigar smoke. However, I would not recommend it. You will inhale quite a bit of second hand smoke without intending to anyways, but you have a very good chance to make yourself puke if you inhale. It like smoking a few pack of cigarettes at once.

My recommendation is to pick up one of the cigars known for their high nicotine content (some mentioned above like la flor etc) and just don't inhale on them. You get plenty of nicotine that way and you will get a nice long and mellow buzz rather than a mind altering puking session.

+EV

anduril
07-02-2007, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought from this site and had no problems whatsoever. I did however have to go to the post office to pick up the package which gave me a little angst, but they didn't know what was in it and there were no problems.

Which makes me wonder, exactly how much trouble would I have been in if the Post office knew they were Cubans?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried one yet? If so, how do you know 100% that it's cuban? I have a local that I get mine from, but he charges $20 each or $400/box of 25. I can deinitely tell from the lithium high how good they are though. So how can you be so sure a website is giving you the real deal? I want to know because I may have to try them myself.

C-Dog
07-02-2007, 12:13 PM
It's a large advertiser on the web for sale of Cubans. It has ads on many Cigar Sites and Boards. While this does not mean they are legit, it adds to the possibility as people who have them advertising on their site are likely to have tried them. And if they run a Cigar site, they should have a good idea what they are smoking. In all reality you can never be 100% on anything you don't get at the factory. Unless you are standing there in Cuba at the factory watching your smoke being rolled can you truly be 100%? The few I have received from there were quite good though. The last batch did have one box that was a bit young, but nothing a little time in the Humidor won't shore up.

C-Dog

Duke
07-02-2007, 01:09 PM
If anyone knows much about pipes, that might be a good spin-off thread.

testaaja
07-02-2007, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone knows much about pipes, that might be a good spin-off thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's already one pipe thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=10259809&page=0&fpart=1& vc=1)

shyturtle27
07-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Wow just found this. Nice guide. The H. Upmann Vinatage Cameroon Churchill/Belicoso is my favorite too beside the CAO extreme and the usually "out of my means" Davidoff aviversary (the one with no label and perfecto shape). I've been smoking since I was 16 and I love it. Anyone got any tips on keeping the burn even while smoking like after a poor light? Ever relight?

guids
07-25-2007, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow just found this. Nice guide. The H. Upmann Vinatage Cameroon Churchill/Belicoso is my favorite too beside the CAO extreme and the usually "out of my means" Davidoff aviversary (the one with no label and perfecto shape). I've been smoking since I was 16 and I love it. Anyone got any tips on keeping the burn even while smoking like after a poor light? Ever relight?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to relight, chop the lit part off so you have fresh cigar, dont relight anything that has been burned.

shyturtle27
07-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the tip...kinda scared of burning my self cutting it though. What about if one side of the cigar is burning a bit faster than the rest? Is there any positioning of the cigar like twisting it around that could cure this?

RunDownHouse
07-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Saw this link today on slickdeals. Looks like its a box of 20 cigars of different varieties, plus a few random other stuff, for $69. They claim the cigars alone retail individually for a total of $110.

Slickdeals thread (http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?threadid=568502)

Direct link to JR Cigars (http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=weekly_specials)

pokah5
07-26-2007, 03:18 AM
Some things I wanted to add. I'm pretty sure these were left out, but just skimming through I may have missed these. This is what I've heard so if any of it is wrong, let me know.

1. Once you get your cigars you want to take them out of the plastic wrap and place them in your humidor and let them sit for a couple months before smoking.

2. Never put a partially smoked cigar back into your humidor.

3. If you intend on finishing a cigar at a later time don't put out your cigar, let it naturally put itself out.

Aces McGee
07-26-2007, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip...kinda scared of burning my self cutting it though. What about if one side of the cigar is burning a bit faster than the rest? Is there any positioning of the cigar like twisting it around that could cure this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoke the cigar so that the part that isn't burning as quickly is at the bottom.

-McGee

Aces McGee
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Once you get your cigars you want to take them out of the plastic wrap and place them in your humidor and let them sit for a couple months before smoking.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with leaving the cigar in the cellophane. New smokers should be aware that unwrapped cigars sitting next to each other without the cellophane wrapper will undergo a "marriage" of flavors, which may or may not be desirable. Just know that a cigar stored in this way will likely taste different than one of the same brand that was stored with its wrapper on.

-McGee

guids
07-26-2007, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some things I wanted to add. I'm pretty sure these were left out, but just skimming through I may have missed these. This is what I've heard so if any of it is wrong, let me know.

2. Never put a partially smoked cigar back into your humidor.

3. If you intend on finishing a cigar at a later time don't put out your cigar, let it naturally put itself out.

[/ QUOTE ]

a couple of months? I dont see how that could be right if you are buying from a store with a good walkin humidor.

shyturtle27
07-26-2007, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoke the cigar so that the part that isn't burning as quickly is at the bottom.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I figured this would work, but didn't know which way to hold the cigar.

RunDownHouse
07-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Do you experts have any idea whether cheap humidors are "acceptable," or is that a "get what you pay for" type of item? Specifically, I was wondering about this 8 cigar + humidor package:

Cigars Int'l (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-CA06)

EDIT: God, that humidor is ugly. Still, the question stands: are humidors "get what you pay for," or can you get perfectly fine ones for $20 or less?

shyturtle27
07-27-2007, 12:54 AM
You can't really tell from the internet. I would really want to see the humidor in person so I could give it the swish test which gives you a good idea if it's sealed off well. You just open the lid then drop it shut. If it slams shut it's probably no good...you want a swish.

Anyway, at the local cigar store here in Knoxville there's a small humidor for forty dollars that my friend has and it passes the swish test with me and keeps almost perfect humidity. Take that FWIW.

Aces McGee
07-27-2007, 10:27 AM
The JR weekly special (http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=weekly_specials&rjr=wset&rjr=wse&pr omo=b.i.wse&rjr=wse&promo=b.i.wse%7CLEB,LEC,LEM) is a 40-cigar humidor with 15 H. Upmann cigars in it for like $50.

The humidor looks a lot like one I got from them in another weekly special, although of a different cigar brand. It's of fine quality, but mine was damaged upon arrival. I probably could have returned it, but I jerry-rigged it so it works fine. This one might be a bit bettere value than the one from Cigars International -- hard to say from the pictures.

-McGee

chisness
07-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Anyone know about the new Romeo y Julieta Viejo line?

shyturtle27
07-27-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm heading to the cigar store later. I'll pick one up if they have one and post a review.

shyturtle27
07-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Well they didn't have one so sorry I can't review. I did go with an H. Upmann cameroon churchill was becoming a rare find around here in that particular size. It was great as usual. One cigar I'll suggest to everybody is the Montecristo Serie C which has a cameroon wrapper. It's amazing. It's slightly mild, but rich and complex enough for any serious smoker to enjoy. Highly recommend it.

BG1124
07-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Ok I have gotten into a fairly heated recurring argument as to the "correct" method of smoking a cigar and wanted to see what most people do. I have always assumed that you should puff a cigar and draw the smoke into your mouth to get the flavor without inhaling. My friend has been telling me that this is a sort of widely spread myth and that cigars should be inhaled, and this is the correct way of smoking them. Is there a correct method to smoking a cigar? What do most people do?

Taso
07-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Don't inhale - your friend must be insane.

guids
07-29-2007, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't inhale - your friend must be insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im thinking he didnt mean "inhaled" in teh traditional sense, I think he meant, drawing the smoke, and than "breathing" it so you can actually smell it etc. If you meant inhaled like a cigarette, your friend is [censored] nuts. Otherwise, if he means drawing some of the smoke, and breathing it to "taste" it, than ya, he is kind of right. Its not a "myth", as drawing it into your mouth still gets you flavor, but "breathing" it to get a good sense of the smoke is mandatory to figure out the whole spectrum of taste. This is totally my opinion, and how I smoke, but I smoke a lot of cigars, and this is the most enjoyable way imo.

pokah5
07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
cant wait to get home today... bought a handful of hemingway short stories and best sellers. i cant decide which i like more.

any suggestions on a drink to pair with one?

shyturtle27
08-06-2007, 07:20 PM
I need a little help finding a cigar to add to my lineup. Right now I stick to medium-full bodied smokes. Standard five are the Padron 4000, h. upmann cameroon, cao brazilia, montecristo platinum (when i can find it), and the fuente hemmingways. I've having a CAO cameroon later tonight (no doubt my favorite wrapper), but I want to try other brands. What are your favorite smokes from romeo y julietta, AVO, punch (besides rare corojo), etc.? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

pokah5
08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I like the Romeo y Julieta Aniversario No. 2 Belicoso and the Romeo y Julieta Viejo E.

Hey_Porter
08-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Another newb question. I just recently took up the hobby again after not smoking for a few years. When I smoked before I was seriously uneducated. Anyway, I'm on a strict budget, so started off with a mix of AF Curly Heads and Curly Head Deluxes. While I have read bad reviews of the Deluxe, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit taste wise, however, every fifth cigar or so there would be an annoying occurrence about half-way through. Essentially, I'd be drawing smoke but with ZERO flavor. Not bad flavor, just no flavor, almost like tasting air. Is this common among cheaper cigars? What causes it?

JTrout
08-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm a fan of Carlos Torano 1916 (http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/search/stats.cfm/inum/19443)

pokah5
08-07-2007, 06:23 PM
anyone know of a really good and reliable website to buy cigars from?
i'm not really looking for really rare cigars, just looking for reliability and good pricing.

thanks.

Rearden
08-07-2007, 07:26 PM
With respect to suggestions:

Roomate next year wants some moderately priced mild(er) cigars. Im a maduro man myself and dislike the softer angles....ideas?

pokah5
08-07-2007, 09:47 PM
for you? or for your roommate? what do you usually smoke?

shyturtle27
08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
CAO Gold are mild and pretty economical.

Rearden
08-08-2007, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CAO Gold are mild and pretty economical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you kindly... I got him hooked last year but with mild cigars I have no idea what to suggest for him

Rick Nebiolo
08-08-2007, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone know of a really good and reliable website to buy cigars from?
i'm not really looking for really rare cigars, just looking for reliability and good pricing.

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out JR Cigar mentioned and linked elsewhere in this thread. They haven't screwed up an order in over ten years for me. Huge selection and probably the best prices. Their super off brand or no name discounts can be hit or miss though.

They also have good values on whole bean coffee.

~ Rick

JSchnett
08-08-2007, 01:59 AM
This thread makes me want to smoke cigars after previously having no desire to smoke.

pokah5
08-08-2007, 12:15 PM
A lot of websites only sell boxes. I was wondering how many of you normally buy boxes, pack of 5 or singles.
Quick poll.

pokah5
08-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Shoot, another quick question.

C-Dog
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I am going to recommend Cigarbid.com for ordering Cigars. I actually don't order from JR, I don't think there prices are all that good and I do better on Cigarbid for most cigars. If you want higher end stuff though, cigarbid doesn't have most of that so you want to go with JR, Cigar.com, or even cheapercigars.com

C-Dog

shyturtle27
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
So I had a Carlos Torano Virtuoso earlier today and I liked it a lot for a brand I've not heard much about, but have seen at the cigar store. There was something distinct about it that reminded me of both the CAO brazillia and the Padron 4000, both of which are better cigars at close to the same price. It was a great smoke, but I'd rather buy CAO or padron if i get an itch for that flavor again. I wanted to get the cameroon, but didn't see it.

JacKnight21
08-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Here's the best Cigar tip I have:

When is Vegas go to
Las Vegas Paiute Tribal Smoke Shop
1225 N Main St
just north of downtown in a little sketchy area

some of the best prices in the nation selection is fairly impresive

sean c
08-10-2007, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I had a Carlos Torano Virtuoso earlier today and I liked it a lot for a brand I've not heard much about, but have seen at the cigar store. There was something distinct about it that reminded me of both the CAO brazillia and the Padron 4000, both of which are better cigars at close to the same price. It was a great smoke, but I'd rather buy CAO or padron if i get an itch for that flavor again. I wanted to get the cameroon, but didn't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Torano cigars and the virtuoso is my favorite Torano. Super smoke for the $.

Toyboy
08-13-2007, 04:10 AM
A question on humidification:
Being a lazy person the automatic humdification systems appeal to me a lot. Plus it seems kinda cool to have an electric system to monitor your cigars (though a bit excessive for an amateur like myself).

But are they any good? I'm mainly thinking about the "Cigar Oasis XL Plus", it uses distilled water only (so I won't need to replace cartridges or anything, just refill water once every 6 months or so).
I'm planning to buy a new humidor, but not bigger than 100-150 capacity. Will the Oasis XL Plus work well in such a small humidor (says it is designed for cabinets etc)?

I'm also receptive to other ideas for humidification, but something that needs refilling every two weeks would probably not be the thing for me...

Rick Nebiolo
08-14-2007, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of websites only sell boxes. I was wondering how many of you normally buy boxes, pack of 5 or singles.
Quick poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually buy boxes but when I want to try something new JR Cigar has many cigars in five packs with the same discount you would get for a full box.

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo
08-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Over the last five or six years I've gotten five pack samplers of various Don Diego cigars several times from JR Cigar and was always satisfied. As an added bonus this mild cigar seems to be a favorite my gf/poker hero. She quit smoking cigarettes a few years back but enjoys a once a week cigar on my porch with her specially made "Rick style" martini or a quality glass of boxed wine.

Anyway this time I broke down and got two ten pack boxes of the Don Diego Privada No.1 (http://tinyurl.com/3btwbw) in a natural wrapper. As you can see from the link JR has a five cigar bonus right now so its a good deal ($70 for 25 cigars).

I'd say this cigar is similar in taste, mildness and quality to Macanudo but at about 60% of the price.

~ Rick

PS Also check out the deal of the week at JR. This week it's three each of eight decent quality 6" by 50 ring gauge cigars for $68. Link (http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=weekly_specials)

Taso
08-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Possible for a Cuban cigar to come wrapped in plastic, as well as pre-cut? A friend brought some over the other night, said he got them in a foreign country and that they were cuban. I didn't think it was possible, but didn't say anything (still won't). But generally, The only cigars I've had that were pre-cut were $1 or less.

For clarification, it's called "Vasco De Gama" and it has "Corona" written on the bottom.

Edit: http://www.wesleys.co.za/VascodaGama.htm

It's the 3rd one down (picture wise) Corona and I believe it is the Claro Sumatra wrapper?

ratholeusoul
08-27-2007, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Possible for a Cuban cigar to come wrapped in plastic, as well as pre-cut? A friend brought some over the other night, said he got them in a foreign country and that they were cuban. I didn't think it was possible, but didn't say anything (still won't). But generally, The only cigars I've had that were pre-cut were $1 or less.

For clarification, it's called "Vasco De Gama" and it has "Corona" written on the bottom.

Edit: http://www.wesleys.co.za/VascodaGama.htm

It's the 3rd one down (picture wise) Corona and I believe it is the Claro Sumatra wrapper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Machine made crap, tried them $2/cigar when I was starting out years ago.. nothing cuban about these ones.

TxRedMan
09-14-2007, 03:58 PM
just saw this thread in the search.

i've been smoking cigars since i was five years old. obviously i only smoked cigars when my grand dad would give them to me as a kid, but i went from swisher sweets to macanudos to punch punch and everything inbetween over the years.

i dont reccomend you buy a humidor at a shop. buy one online off ebay, and save a bundle. never ever season your humidor with your element, i.e., the element will clog the cedar, dont let the element touch the cedar.

i much prefer a hole punch over a cut on my cigars, it gets less danky.

my favorite all around smoke is without a doubt the rocky patel vintage 1992 robusto, as well as the 60 and the torpedo. a box runs me about $120, so at $6/stick it's an affordable and excellent smoke.

i dont reccomend davidoffs b/c they're over priced imo. the anniversario and the special R are nice cigars, and in general all larger guage davidoffs have excellent draw, but they're too expensive for what you get and you can get a better cigar for cheaper. if you're going to spend $15-$20 on a cigar, try a cohiba or if you can ever find one, an arturo fuente ESG.

when they're avaialable the punch rare corojo is a good smoke, and a robusto will run you around $5.

i bought a box of pre embargo cubans that i really enjoy, but if you want to fork up the cash for real cubans go to www.cigarone.com (http://www.cigarone.com) , they're out of spain and they've got a great selection of cubans. i'd reccomend starting out with the romeo and juliets, montecristos, and if you want something that will really hit you, try a punch punch.

i'd also reccomend rocky patel edge series. they're cheaper b/c he doesnt put a lot of effort into the appearance of some of them, so it saves money, but it's still a great cigar.

dont buy cigars in vegas! they're usually 30-60% more expensive than anywhere else. (the exception being the davidoff shop in cesars)

the best thing to do is go to a shop and buy a dozen different cigars and sample them. hopefully you'll find something you like that's affordable. beware, it's an expensive habit!

TxRedMan
09-14-2007, 05:02 PM
edit: i meant ashton esg, not arturo fuente.

Aces McGee
09-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Post deleted by Aces McGee

Aces McGee
09-17-2007, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
edit: i meant ashton esg, not arturo fuente.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean VSG, not ESG, right?

These are excellent cigars.

The Edge is another favorite of mine, and the price is great for the quality.

I've smoked a couple of Avo Blacks in recent weeks and have been delightfully surprised at how spicy they are. Left my tongue a bit numb by the end.

-McGee

Toro
09-28-2007, 02:29 PM
JR Cigars offers JR Alternatives which are supposed to be brand named cigars but without the brand at low low prices.

This is how they describe them:

"JR ALTERNATIVE CIGARS
Handmade DR/NIC/HON
Wrapper: VARIED Binder: VARIED Filler: VARIED
Medium Bodied

Why would anyone in the world buy some crappy seconds when, for a lot less money, they could buy J•R Alternatives instead? All of these cigars are long-filler, handmade firsts rolled at the best factories - sans the fancy boxes and bands. We have them made in humungous quantities and pass along the savings to smokers. For over a quarter of a century, these have been the very best value in the whole cigar world! "

Has anyone tried these?

Rick Nebiolo
09-28-2007, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JR Cigars offers JR Alternatives which are supposed to be brand named cigars but without the brand at low low prices.

This is how they describe them:

"JR ALTERNATIVE CIGARS
Handmade DR/NIC/HON
Wrapper: VARIED Binder: VARIED Filler: VARIED
Medium Bodied

Why would anyone in the world buy some crappy seconds when, for a lot less money, they could buy J•R Alternatives instead? All of these cigars are long-filler, handmade firsts rolled at the best factories - sans the fancy boxes and bands. We have them made in humungous quantities and pass along the savings to smokers. For over a quarter of a century, these have been the very best value in the whole cigar world! "

Has anyone tried these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried a few and thought they were decent for the price. I never did a completely blind test which IMO is the only way to get rid of selection bias (although in my case my prejudice would tend to be FOR the less expensive alternative /images/graemlins/grin.gif). Did compare some JR Alternatives versus the real thing from a JR 5-pack (the 5-packs are a great way to try out cigars without breaking the bank); at the time I thought the real thing was a bit better.

In a blind test against the cigar they are supposed to imitate I'd guess people would favor the real thing by about a 2-1 margin. A cigar smoke out would be fun to try but I don't think anyone would want to host it.

~ Rick

PS Continue to have good luck with Don Diego cigars ordered from JR. In a previous post I mentioned they compare favorably with the Macanudo brand yet are quite a bit cheaper.

Next order may repeat my Don Diego order along with a 5-pack of a similar Macanudo and a similar JR Alternative (just noticed there are JR Alternatives for Don Diego and Macanudo; what to do, what to do /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

~ Rick

Toro
09-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks, I just ordered 20 "cohibas" at a cost of $28 + shipping. of course I'm such a noob I won't be able to give a good trip report on how they compare. But I'll at least report on if I enjoyed them.

Hey_Porter
10-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Does anyone smoke mini cigars? I was recently given a tin of Cohiba Pequenos (little bit bigger than the minis), and really enjoyed them. Seemed pretty comparable to a full-size, honestly, in terms of taste. At 4 x 34, they last about 20-30 minutes, which I really liked because, unless I'm golfing, I don't have the time to sit and smoke for much longer than that.

Anyway, are there any other small cigars that people enjoy?

Rick Nebiolo
10-16-2007, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone smoke mini cigars? I was recently given a tin of Cohiba Pequenos (little bit bigger than the minis), and really enjoyed them. Seemed pretty comparable to a full-size, honestly, in terms of taste. At 4 x 34, they last about 20-30 minutes, which I really liked because, unless I'm golfing, I don't have the time to sit and smoke for much longer than that.

Anyway, are there any other small cigars that people enjoy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Don Diego Elite No. 5 (http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cig_view&itemcode=DDE). It's slightly bigger at 4.5" by 38 ring but Don Diego is a smooth smoke at a decent price.

You can also search the JR site by length and ring gauge. The Macanudo ten pack tins are the only super minis I've tried though.

~ Rick

O Fen�meno
10-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Ok here is my situation:
I am in college so money is tight so i dont wanna spend a load of money on cigars. As of right now I dont have a humidor and I dont really smoke that much. I have probably smoked 5 cigars since school started.
Basically I am looking for some cigar recommendations that would be relatively cheap (around $1-3 per stick). Also if anyone has any recommendations for cheap humidors. I have a cigar shop near my but I havent yet gone there
Thanks for any advice

Hey_Porter
10-16-2007, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok here is my situation:
I am in college so money is tight so i dont wanna spend a load of money on cigars. As of right now I dont have a humidor and I dont really smoke that much. I have probably smoked 5 cigars since school started.
Basically I am looking for some cigar recommendations that would be relatively cheap (around $1-3 per stick). Also if anyone has any recommendations for cheap humidors. I have a cigar shop near my but I havent yet gone there
Thanks for any advice

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first off I wouldn't buy from the shop, you'd just be throwing money away. In terms of cigar, I recommend the Arturo Fuente curly head, or curly head deluxe. I like both. Both are under $2 a stick if you buy a box from jrcigars.com. You're not going to find equal quality for less than that.

Rick Nebiolo
10-16-2007, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok here is my situation:
Thanks for any advice

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty happy with the mid-sized humidor I bought at cheaphimidors.com (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/). Also if you Google "cheap humidors" you will get some decent links to other sites and information.

For decent discounted cigars try JR Cigar's online store. Good cigars in that range include Don Diego, H Upmann and many others. Look for the specials too.

~ Rick

O Fen�meno
10-16-2007, 08:28 PM
thanks for the advice, jrcigars looks pretty good. How necessary is a humidor, since I am a novice smoker will i really notice the difference between leaving them in the box on top of my desk and keeping them in a humidor?
edited to include humidor deal (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FDAY&Categor y_Code=KITS&Product_Count=8)
Does this seem like a good deal?

BretWeir
10-16-2007, 08:41 PM
My go-to cheap cigar is La Finca (http://jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cig_locate) , which is a decent, medium strength, long-filler Nicaraguan. Their coronas go for $39.95 for a box of 25 on jrcigars.com.

I've tried the AF Curly Heads and they're good value for your money (pretty much anything AF makes is good). They're made with scraps from the regular Fuente production so you're getting good tobacco. But it's not a true long-filler cigar and the construction can be a bit iffy sometimes -- they tend to fall apart and get "mushy" quicker than regular long-filler smokes. My experience is they also burn a little hotter.

If the smokes sit out for more than a week, you'll definitely notice the difference if you don't use a humidor -- they'll taste dried out and harsher. But you don't need anything fancy. You can get a decent 25 to 30-cigar capacity box for less than $50 -- just google "cheap humidors." Even a big ziploc bag or tupperware container with a $20 Credo humidification disk will do the trick.

BretWeir
10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks pretty solid. I'm not a huge fan of Gurkhas, but they're definitely smokeable. Add in all the extra stuff -- butane lighter, cutter -- and it's a good deal for $50. Only caution is that the humidor is pretty small -- it'll only hold about half a box at a time. But overall, this looks like a nice starter kit.

Rick Nebiolo
10-16-2007, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the advice, jrcigars looks pretty good. How necessary is a humidor, since I am a novice smoker will i really notice the difference between leaving them in the box on top of my desk and keeping them in a humidor?
edited to include humidor deal (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FDAY&Categor y_Code=KITS&Product_Count=8)

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind this is a real small humidor; something you wouldn't be able to store even a single box of regular cigars. OK for a desktop if you are taking them to the office from a regular sized one though.

In this size range JR would often have small humidor deals with I think better cigars. Also a while back there was a humidor thread (or perhaps it's somewhere in this one).

I'd say a humidor is very necessary. For years I used a JR style (BTW, Lou Rothman, owner of JR Cigar writes funny ad copy) "iglooadoor"' essentially a plastic tub with the humidity devices but since I got the humidor as a gift a few years back I'm getting much better results.

~ Rick

PS Please forgive grammar, this was written during a commercial break of the Red Sox game /images/graemlins/smile.gif

O Fen�meno
10-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Ok i have been doing some more research and found what i think are pretty good deals on Thompson cigar. Which of these two deals do you guys think is better?
deal 1 (http://www.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx?page=product&sender=humidor%20combo&u id=1249)
or
2 (http://www.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx?page=product&sender=csearch&uid=1481)

O Fen�meno
10-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I ended up going with the second deal, including shipping it was only $35 for a 25 count humidor and 25 cigars.

Rick Nebiolo
10-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Sounds good.

If you live in a low humidity area you might want to add something like this (http://tinyurl.com/2jahmb) to your humidor (put the beads in an empty pill bottle). I live in relatively dry area of California and found the single humidifying device that comes with the humidor not quite up to the task. It also helps keep things right on 70% humidity (I bought the more expensive digital checker). The cheap gages given with these deals will usually be way off and drive you crazy.

Also regarding cheap cigars you may want to try GENUINE PRE-EMBARGO COUNTERFEIT CUBAN EPICURE CIGARS (http://tinyurl.com/3bsd3n) from JR Cigar. Sports betting buddy and I just had one in the Jacuzzi after we gave up on the Sox game. Good for the price.

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo
10-16-2007, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even a big ziploc bag or tupperware container with a $20 Credo humidification disk will do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tupperware version is what JR calls the "igloadoor" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

O Fen�meno
10-17-2007, 12:19 AM
I recently moved to providence for college so not sure about the humidity levels here. Those look pretty nice. Rick thanks for all the help, my usual cigar is a white owl from 7/11 with my friends but I wanna move up in the world of cigars

Indiana
10-17-2007, 12:36 AM
i recently moved from Indy to Cali and cannot get good cubans out here....does any know where i can get a box of Partagas #4 serie D? I only smoke stuff from Habana and im about to go crazy here.

Indy

Rick Nebiolo
10-17-2007, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently moved to providence for college so not sure about the humidity levels here. Those look pretty nice. Rick thanks for all the help, my usual cigar is a white owl from 7/11 with my friends but I wanna move up in the world of cigars

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Newport/Middletown Rhode Island although I never smoked a cigar there. My experience is that the relative humidity is close to the level you need so your humidor probably won't be stressed too hard.

People who live in places like New Orleans or Florida need their humidor to keep humidity out while a place such as Las Vegas would stress the humidity device. The various cigar sites have good info on the techniques to get it right. I'd link but I'm multi-tabling donkaments /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

While in Providence hope you get a chance to check out Havens Brothers diner late at night along with the various NY System Hot Weiner joints. Lots of good music clubs in Providence too. Nice little city; enjoy it!

~ Rick

O Fen�meno
10-17-2007, 01:06 AM
I am originally from outside of Boston and have found Providence to be a very manageable and a good first city to live in. At alot of the bars around campus you can turn 21 early which is nice and i will definitely check out Havens Brothers diner after a few cold ones./hijack sorry el d
edited to include: I have already eaten there and the food was delicious but a bit overpriced. I was in the area at an 18+ bar that serves everyone, what a nice concept!

deleteduser
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Can someone please tell me the benefits of smoking a cigar? I may be smoking it wrong, however the only thing I get out of smoking is actually tasting tobacco. If I inhale even a little I start to feel like crap. I smoke cigarettes occasionally and at least get a buzz off them. Whats the big enjoyment from cigars?

Toro
10-17-2007, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I just ordered 20 "cohibas" at a cost of $28 + shipping. of course I'm such a noob I won't be able to give a good trip report on how they compare. But I'll at least report on if I enjoyed them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't like these fakes at all, tasted bitter and they didn't draw very good at all.

Toro
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Rick, this question might seem strange to ask but you seem to know a lot about Cigars and maybe you know. When applying for life insurance when they ask if you smoked any tobacco products in the last year how bad does it hurt your rates if you admit to say 5 cigars a week?

Or anyone else who may know.

limon
10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rick, this question might seem strange to ask but you seem to know a lot about Cigars and maybe you know. When applying for life insurance when they ask if you smoked any tobacco products in the last year how bad does it hurt your rates if you admit to say 5 cigars a week?

Or anyone else who may know.

[/ QUOTE ]

same as smoking 5 pax a day. the tobacco nazis make no distinctions.

pokah5
10-18-2007, 03:47 AM
just ordered some of the JR Alternative Hemingway Signature cigars. i'll be sure to give input when i receive them.

really looking to get some authentic cubans though. how do you think the best way to go about this is? aside from websites that sell boxes...

Toro
10-18-2007, 07:44 AM
So what are the ramifications for my friend (not me) of course, if he lied on the form and said he didn't smoke to get the lower rate?

Toro
10-18-2007, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just ordered some of the JR Alternative Hemingway Signature cigars. i'll be sure to give input when i receive them.

really looking to get some authentic cubans though. how do you think the best way to go about this is? aside from websites that sell boxes...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's at least one good website that seems reliable (I got it from a 2+2er and had good results). PM me if you want it. But aside from that, you could sneak some back next time you go on vacation in the Carribean. I did this once and although it was a little nerve wracking it was pretty easy.

Rick Nebiolo
10-18-2007, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The very top Dominican and Hondurans tended to rate just as well or better in evaluations in the Cigar mags (years ago when I read a few copies). Don't know if they are effectively blind tasted though or does advertiser influence creep in. I'd also be concerned that if a cigar maker knew his cigars were being tested he'd only send product make by his best hand rollers and so on.

The real knock against real Cuban cigars (when you can get them) is that they are being made by a country that has lived under Communism for 47 years. That's not good for manufacturing quality products.

~ Rick

TxRedMan
10-28-2007, 12:01 AM
A few things to update this thread:

Casa Fuente in the forum shops- highly reccomend it. Not only can you find a normal stick that's only marked up a little bit (cigars on the strip are often twice your normal price), they also have a great cigar that's a house blend that you can only get there. It's about $20/stick but it blows away any other $20 stick you'll find in vegas imo. They also have some high end stuff, including the opus-x.

I love the way the opus-x tastes. It has a lot of bite and a great draw, spicy and hot. But it will knock you on your ass. I cant even finish the sort of rothschild-torpedo they have.

I bought one of the forbidden sticks last time i was there. At $75/stick it's not 4x better than a $20 stick, but it was exceptional. Very, very smooth, almost like tasting a handful of hot and fresh roasted peanuts/almonds. Great cigar.

My daily smoke has become the punch rare corojo rothschild. I love these cigars b/c i can finish one w/o having a total mind [censored].

I recently ordered some cubans from a very reputable swiss dealer and will post a report when i receive them. included in the order was a cohiba robusto, montecristo #1 (iirc), partagas, punch-punch, and a few other random-ish picks.

Still, for $5/stick, i dont know if i'll find something better than a punch rare corojo /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Tex

edited to add: if you're out on the strip looking for a cigar, buy one from one of the girls at cesars who walk around w/ cigarettes, cigars, roses, etc. You can find a cohiba toro for less than $25 (a good price for the stick) and some ashtons for about $20. Any other place will charge you at least that much for a far inferior stick.

Also, someone needs to go pick up one of the pre-embargo 1932 cubans from the cigar shop at cesars that's right where appian way meets the casino floor. They're $400/stick, covered in plume, and apparently ivey and rene angelil and antoine walker are the only ones to buy one. I know some pre-embargo cubans get sold at sothebys and are likely documented as being stored in good conditions and what not, so i'd think these would be as well. But [censored], $400/stick!!!

guids
10-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Man, you love overpaying for your cigars.

TxRedMan
11-02-2007, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man, you love overpaying for your cigars.

[/ QUOTE ]

on the contrary. i love sampling great cigars. after receiving my shipment of cubans this week i can say w/o doubt that i'll never pay $75 for a dominican cigar ever again. furthermore, cuban cohibas are rather pricey and after sampling a few i only found one that i thought was worth its price.

the cohiba millenium pyraimdes was a good cigar, exceptionally mild for a cohiba, but not worth the $33 price tag. i thought the $20 cohiba corona especial was a better stick.

i particularly like the hoyo de monterrey petit robustos ($8).

and cubans aren't all hype- while there are a few dominican cigars i'd prefer over a lot of cubans, a good cuban is leaps and bounds better than a good dominican, and in my case cheaper. there's a bunch of cubans between $7-$15/stick that are wonderful cigars. i'm especially looking forward to trying one of the Bolivar gold medals.

if anyone's interested in obtaining the same supplier feel free to pm me, i dont want to post it in the thread b/c 2p2 can be kind of weird about lots of things, probably including posting a link to buying cuban cigars too.

-Tex

raze
11-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Guys, this is a great thread, so I apologize for the noob question. My girl brought me a couple cigars from her trip to Niagara Falls. I don't have a humidor, but both cigars are sealed in metal casing. How am I to store these, and how long will they keep?

Also, the cigars are Montecristo Tubos and Macanudo Hampton Court.

TxRedMan
11-03-2007, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Guys, this is a great thread, so I apologize for the noob question. My girl brought me a couple cigars from her trip to Niagara Falls. I don't have a humidor, but both cigars are sealed in metal casing. How am I to store these, and how long will they keep?

Also, the cigars are Montecristo Tubos and Macanudo Hampton Court.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately there's not a great place to keep cigars other than a humidor. they'll be okay for a week or two tops in the metal tubes, but they really need to be in a humidor asap. i'd reccomend going to a cigar shop and getting a fuente travel humidor bag. it doesn't have to be a fuente, and it's essentially a plastic bag with a very strong seal that has a time released self humidifying agent in the bag that sort of looks like a bag of silica. they're about $5 and they're good for six months, and you can open and close the bag and re-use it.

but i wouldn't feel too bad if that macanudo didn't last, iirc the hampton court is the new blend they came out with that bombed. the monte on the other hand is a nice stick.

all,

if you can get your hands on a bolivar gold medal, try it. smoothest cigar i've ever smoked.

-tex

Tony_P
11-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Raze,

All you need is to stick them in a Tupperware container with a damp sponge. They will keep just fine as long as the sponge is damp and NOT touching the cigars. Open the container at least once a week to check the sponge and let a little air flow.

Rick Nebiolo
11-05-2007, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A question on humidification:
Being a lazy person the automatic humdification systems appeal to me a lot. Plus it seems kinda cool to have an electric system to monitor your cigars (though a bit excessive for an amateur like myself).

But are they any good? I'm mainly thinking about the "Cigar Oasis XL Plus", it uses distilled water only (so I won't need to replace cartridges or anything, just refill water once every 6 months or so).
I'm planning to buy a new humidor, but not bigger than 100-150 capacity. Will the Oasis XL Plus work well in such a small humidor (says it is designed for cabinets etc)?

I'm also receptive to other ideas for humidification, but something that needs refilling every two weeks would probably not be the thing for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend lives in relatively dry Los Angeles County and is looking for something more or less self-maintaining like this (except perhaps a smaller model than the Oasis XL Plus) so I'm bumping your post with some links that hopefully will encourage comment.

Cigar Oasis XL (http://www.cigaroasis.com/products/cigar-oasis-xl.html) which is apparently the smaller model despite the XL designation.

Oops, there is an even smaller model (http://www.cigarextras.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=5) called the Cigar Oasis Ultra at the top of the linked page. It's about the size of a standard rectangle humidifier (http://tinyurl.com/3725qu) that I assume most of us have.

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Is this overkill for a table-top 50 cigar size humidor?

~ Rick

PS Lucky bathroom break before final posting allowed me time to read the new JR catalog and find this deal (http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=deals_oas_07no6) with a Cigar Oasis machine thrown in free. I suspect it might be last years model (apparently they added a gauge to the new ones).

TxRedMan
11-05-2007, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raze,

All you need is to stick them in a Tupperware container with a damp sponge. They will keep just fine as long as the sponge is damp and NOT touching the cigars. Open the container at least once a week to check the sponge and let a little air flow.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa whoa, make damn sure if anyone does this they used distilled water, mold/bacteria can/will form on a wet sponge and distilled water greatly (maybe eliminates iirc?) reduces the chance of this happening. mold/bacteria on your sticks is not cool.

also, you can sort of improvise a humidor with a cedar cigar box, some of that green plant sponge stuff that goes in many elements, and a bottle of distilled water. just make sure the element isn't soaked and the box has a decent seal.

anyone know about keeping sticks in a freezer? i was reccomended to do this for 24 hours with my cubans b/c they dont undergo the last process of freezing that apparently other cigars do to kill any potential threats, i.e., bugs in your sticks, but i never did it as i feel the swiss habanos dealer i go through wouldn't keep sticks that were possibly infected with bugs in their humidor that likely is worth seven figures....

-Tex

BretWeir
11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone know about keeping sticks in a freezer? i was reccomended to do this for 24 hours with my cubans b/c they dont undergo the last process of freezing that apparently other cigars do to kill any potential threats, i.e., bugs in your sticks, but i never did it as i feel the swiss habanos dealer i go through wouldn't keep sticks that were possibly infected with bugs in their humidor that likely is worth seven figures....

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of years ago I had a minor beetle infestation in my humidor and froze my sticks for 24 hours (after throwing out the obviously infested ones, which were unsmokable anyway). It seemed to cure the problem; the beetles didn't come back and it didn't do any lasting harm to the majority of the smokes (the wrapper on one cigar came loose and unraveled shortly after I thawed it, so I guess there's some danger).

Never heard that Cubans routinely needed this treatment, though.

Tony_P
11-06-2007, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raze,

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa whoa, make damn sure if anyone does this they used distilled water, mold/bacteria can/will form on a wet sponge and distilled water greatly (maybe eliminates iirc?) reduces the chance of this happening. mold/bacteria on your sticks is not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tex,

The distilled water is used in humidors to prevent mineral buildup & damage on the humidification element and on the cedar (if rubbing down the inside of the humidor). When you're using a sponge, tap water is fine. Long term, you're right mold may form on the sponge, but the tupperware/sponge humidor is only intended for short-term storage (<3 months).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you freeze sticks make sure you let them defrost VERY slowly. Transfer to the fridge first, and leave them there for a few days, before putting them back to the humidor. Frozen sticks need several weeks before they can be smoked. Search threads on freezing at clubstogie.com for better info.

limon
11-06-2007, 03:25 PM
new daily = oliva serie v ...monumental cigar, beautiful color, perfect draw, reminiscent of the old lars tetons pre embargo cubans. a lightly perfumed cigar w/ hints of pipe smoke, nutmeg/clove coffee and dark toast. its a "ligger" so it packs quite a punch, extremely complex powerhouse of a smoke.

pokah5
11-08-2007, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
new daily = oliva serie v ...monumental cigar, beautiful color, perfect draw, reminiscent of the old lars tetons pre embargo cubans. a lightly perfumed cigar w/ hints of pipe smoke, nutmeg/clove coffee and dark toast. its a "ligger" so it packs quite a punch, extremely complex powerhouse of a smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]
my daily is the oliva serie g robusto. at around $4 a smoke, i feel like i cant beat it... i'll try the serie v soon.

pokah5
11-08-2007, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
the alternative hemingway signatures were surprisingly good. obviously not as good as the original, but good to say the least. they burned well and you cant really beat the price. i think they'll be much better after a few weeks in the humi though.

shyturtle27
11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
My cigar store that I am most loyal to just got some Monte series C. They're so amazing. I like bold cigars, but this one is mild/medium with a cameroon wrapper and it is great. I guess my cigar season just got started here in Tennessee since it has turned cold. Had a Padron 4000 maduro the past two days with a caramel machiato from starbucks. This is my favorite drink-cigar mixture of all time. Gotta love fall.

BretWeir
11-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Padrons are awesome. I usually smoke the 3000. I think the regular series are the best bang for your buck in cigars today, and the Aniversarios are beyond belief.

TxRedMan
11-13-2007, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Padrons are awesome. I usually smoke the 3000. I think the regular series are the best bang for your buck in cigars today, and the Aniversarios are beyond belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the padron 30 year anniversario lonsdale. Solid smoke.

I've had a chance to smoke some more habanos, and the cohiba robusto is by far my favorite stick. I've found a source for them at $10/stick so i'm pretty happy with that although I have to buy a box for that price. Smoked a monte petit corona last night and i give it good marks for the price. About to go drop off some mail and will smoke one of the Romeo and Juliet escudos (long robusto) regalas limited edition, looking forward to it. Last night I ordered a box of H. Upmann connasieur no.1 b/c I really liked the stick and got a really good deal at $200/box of 25, plus I had to fill an order for a friend. Along with that box is coming some Cohiba siglo VI's, a Cohiba Genios, and some monte cristo no. 2's i believe, the pyramides vitola, as well as a Cohiba Esplendidos (churchill). I'm really looking forward to the genios- I smoked the secretos and didnt really like it, it was too small and too tight to really enjoy the maduro, wheras the genios is 5.5 inches with a 52 guage. At this point in time though, the partagas petit corona is the best cuban for the dollar, and the cohiba robusto is imo the best robusto, w/ the h. upmann being a close second. Getting into cubans has been fun but expensive lately b/c I decided to buy some limited editions and a couple boxes that I'm putting away for (hopefully) a few years to let them age, which, I keep hearing is the thing to do.

Fwiw though, the punch rare corojo is still by far and away the best cigar for the price. I paid $185 for a box of 50 Rothschilds.

But man, I wish I could get Cohibas for the price they start out at in Cuba! I heard they're about $4 US/stick in Cuba, and that's likely a tourist price. So smooth, nutty, consistent, big draw, mild and mellow, awesome construction.

I think it's time to visit Havanna /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Tex

ooinsight
11-14-2007, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i recently moved from Indy to Cali and cannot get good cubans out here....does any know where i can get a box of Partagas #4 serie D? I only smoke stuff from Habana and im about to go crazy here.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the Internet? Check out some cigar forums and you will see common banners for the more reputable vendors....

ooinsight
11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
IMHO there is a significant difference between the cheaper/knock off cigars and the premium lines, enough to tip the scale for me in terms of what I smoke/buy. Thats not to say there aren't good cheap(er) smokes out there, you just need to hunt for them. For example if I want a thin ring gauge sun grown wrapper without the cost I will go with the Flor de Ybor City no. 85 Sungrown from tampasweethearts.com Tampasweethearts is affiliated with the Fuente family and what you are getting is effectively the very elusive and desired 858 SG but rolled by an apprentice rather than a master roller. The wrapper is from slightly different stock than the Arturo Fuente 858 sungrown but it is still fantastic at two bucks a stick.

For a cheap maduro you can't beat the Padron thousand series which can often be found for ~$3 a stick if you look. You can also find the typically stronger/bolder La Flor Dominica lines for fairly inexpensive.

If you like the allure of island smokes and want something shorter you can get a box of Partagas shorts or Bolivar PC's for ~$5 a stick if you want something smaller.

As a point of reference I don't smoke as often as I used to so I tend to primarily smoke slightly more expensive sticks like the Padron Anniversary line, Opus X/Anejos, and brown label Tatuajes. I try to vary it up because there is so much out there to try but I really wouldn't bother smoking seconds/alts/bundle cigars at this point with the exception of those Flor de Ybors. Oh and I agree with TxRedman on the CoRo, easily my favorite habanos robusto.

TxRedMan
11-14-2007, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the Internet? Check out some cigar forums and you will see common banners for the more reputable vendors....

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want a box of partagas #4 i'll get one for you if you'll contact me and go over a couple of things. i smoked a #4 the other night and was really impressed, although it was a bit too strong for me to finish. i'd prefer to have that blend in either a petit corona or a petit robusto. but wow, the taste was amazing.

be careful buying habanos off the net guys, there's more fake dealers than real ones and it's not even close. i reccomend you know your sticks before you order, i.e., if you've smoked a cohiba genios you'll know right away whether or not your dealer shipped you a cohiba genios.

i smoked a R&J escudos robusto limited edition last night, and while i though the cigar was a little bit young, it was still phenomenal. strong vanilla/cocoa taste, smooth, nice stick, strong, but burned like a cigar that needs to age for at least a couple more months before smoking, which isn't that outrageous since it probably was rolled within the last two months.

i ordered some cohiba siglo's VI, the canonanzo <sp> vitole, which is a 53 guage and 6 inch length stick. after they settle for a week or two i'll burn one and post a review, but at first glance it appears to be an awesome stick.

i've smoked several H. Upmann connasieurs now, and it's a great stick for the price. i prefer upmanns for the fact that they're generally light to medium and therefore i finish a stick w/o any nasty buzz.

i'm about to take the dog for a nice long walk and plan on smoking either a monte cristo #2, the pyramides/torpedo, or the cohiba churchill that arrived today. i know i've said it before but i'll say it again, the punch rare corojo continues to impress me and seems to get better everyday.

if anyones thinking about buying any cubans lately, i'd reccomend not spending the extra money on many of the habanos limited editions that came out recently. with the exception of the R&J escudos which you should buy now to smoke next summer, and maybe the 2003 monte cristo, the others haven't been worth the extra price imo, but then again i think these sticks are meant to age for a while before being smoked, which is what i've done with the remaining 4 from my 5 packs.

i have one cohiba robusto left and it's really hard not to burn it every time i reach into my humidor. same goes for my cohiba lanceros. while i'm on the topic of cohiba, the pyramides is not worth $30/stick!!! dont waste your money! it's a $15 stick! nothing wrong with it, but wtf!

i've been smoking a couple of the hoyo epicures lately and was a little dissapointed b/c i thought they would be like a larger version of the hoyo petit robusto, but the petit robusto is by far a superior blend imo, and a great stick for a 30 minute smoke.

does anyone else have problems keeping the humidity constant at every spot in your humidor? i.e., 65 up top and 59 in the bottom corner? i think the cedar dividers and trays make a huge difference, so i took mine out and have put two small elements in my large humidor that holds about 100 sticks in additon to the large element up top. i plan on rotating the sticks about once a month to combat this problem.

i wish i could get my hands on a davidoff element, but apparently they only come with davidoff humidors, which, are usually about $1K. apparently it's a perfect element that absorbs and releases and stays at a constant 70 percent humidity and requires less maintenance. i heard it's similar to some sort of stone, anyone ever seen one?

-Tex

ooinsight
11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Tex if you are having humidification issues I HIGHLY suggest checking out Heartfelt Industries (http://heartfeltindustries.com/) and getting some humidifcation beads. About a pound will take care of 50 quarts of space, much much less for a desktop humidor. Once you humidify the beads they will keep the RH perfectly stable at whichever RH they are conditioned for (60,65,67.5,70 etc.). I use them in all my humis and only have to do maintenance once a month or so. If you are having problems beyond that with varying humidity in the humidor you may want to grab an oust fan, if you toss it in there it circulates the air and pretty much universally solves this problem.

I would agree with you on the current ELs but I would say the Bolivar Gold Medal (not technically an EL but previously a regional release) is a fantastic new cigar. Also, like you said, there are way more scumbag fake habanos dealers than legit dealers on the Internet. I can think of several off the top of my head. So definitely be careful, but there are also some reliable retailers out there..

TxRedMan
11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tex if you are having humidification issues I HIGHLY suggest checking out Heartfelt Industries (http://heartfeltindustries.com/) and getting some humidifcation beads. About a pound will take care of 50 quarts of space, much much less for a desktop humidor. Once you humidify the beads they will keep the RH perfectly stable at whichever RH they are conditioned for (60,65,67.5,70 etc.). I use them in all my humis and only have to do maintenance once a month or so. If you are having problems beyond that with varying humidity in the humidor you may want to grab an oust fan, if you toss it in there it circulates the air and pretty much universally solves this problem.

I would agree with you on the current ELs but I would say the Bolivar Gold Medal (not technically an EL but previously a regional release) is a fantastic new cigar. Also, like you said, there are way more scumbag fake habanos dealers than legit dealers on the Internet. I can think of several off the top of my head. So definitely be careful, but there are also some reliable retailers out there..

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you mentioned this. i had a humidor i hadn' opened up and seasoned last week that came with an element that has beads in it. it's been the most consistent of my three humidors by far.

i smoked a monte #2 last night, the pyramides. wow. awesome smoke. sometimes its hard to find a stick with such construction that allows an even burn and a big draw, but this was the one. vanilla, slight hints of leather, just an all around favorite-tobacco flavor stick. highly reccomend it even if you have to pay between $15-$20/stick, it's worth it. took me about an hour and 15 minutes to finish, and i was thrilled having only paid less than $15 for mine.

also, yes, to reitterate, the bolivar gold medal is a fantastic stick.

im off to dinner with a cohiba siglo VI. tomorrow i'm going to smoke my genios. envy me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Tex

Donkey85
11-16-2007, 01:13 AM
although rather hard to find and a bit pricey i would recommend maximus much better than opus X, my other favorite is La Aurora Perforido #2. My standard smoke is excalibur maduro #3.

Taso
11-16-2007, 05:51 AM
mmmm....leather. ?????

shyturtle27
11-18-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking of buying a box of cigars or two for Christmas. I've never ordered online before. Anyone know of a site with good deals? I like brands like CAO, padron, upmann, montecristo, etc.

milliondollaz
11-19-2007, 04:48 AM
Question 1:

i got a humidor as a gift a couple months ago and tried to condition it by putting standing tap water in a for a week. the included crappy hygrometer didn't get above 40% so i microwaved the water till it was almost boiling, then put it in. it spiked to about 70% but quickly fell. i did this multiple times. always went back to 40%. i've had 20 cigars in there, or should i say "sticks", for a couple months, with an open bottle of cigar fluid, and it's never got above 40%. you guys think it's really at 70% or so? Or are my cigars dry? How can you tell? Should I do the sponge?

Question 2:

Do you guys spit while smoking? I had a repeater (http://www.neptunecigar.com/The-Repeater-cigars/) tonight on my porch. I don't smoke much, but when I do, I'm spitting constantly. I don't smoke too often, and started in high school, when spitting was just as cool as smoking cigars. Am I doing this out of habit, or do all cigar smokers spit? I noticed this because it made it hard to sip on my whiskey. As for the quality of the cigar I had, I bought a bunch of cigars when I got my humidor, some cheap some expensive. I forgot which were which, so I guess I got the cheap one.

Question 3:

Exactly where should I buy a digital hygrometer. I checked radioshack, where guids said he bought his, and they only had an outdoor, combo thermometer thing. Probably not what i'm looking for.

Question 4:

I tried sucking some smoke in through my nose like limon does, and it burned like a mofo. How many people do this? I normally try to avoid this situation, by breathing oxygen into my lungs only when the cigar isn't near my face. Can you guys actually breathe normally with a cigar hanging out of your mouth? That smoke coming of the end of the cigar, and through your nose doesn't bother you?

Taso
11-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Question 2: There are about 5 of us that regularly smoke together, only one is a spitter.

Rick Nebiolo
11-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Go to cheaphumidors.com (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/) for digital hygrometers and tips on making sure its calibrated. I'd link to the specific tip but tinyurl is down.

If you live in a dry climate I'd add HUMI-CARE Crystal Gel or something similar (in addition to the Humidifier that comes with the humidor).

I never spit.

~ Rick

coyote
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking of buying a box of cigars or two for Christmas. I've never ordered online before. Anyone know of a site with good deals? I like brands like CAO, padron, upmann, montecristo, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

famoussmoke.com
cigarsinternational.com
seriouscigars.com
tampahumidor.com
holts.com
tinderbox.com
jrcigars.com

Searching those sites for the best prices on the cigars you want should be a good start. I haven't found one site that has the best prices on all cigars, you gotta shop around.

traz
11-19-2007, 01:09 PM
I spit alot when I smoke good cigars. It just makes the saliva sit in my mouth

Tony_P
11-19-2007, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question 1:

i got a humidor as a gift a couple months ago and tried to condition it by putting standing tap water in a for a week. the included crappy hygrometer didn't get above 40% so i microwaved the water till it was almost boiling, then put it in. it spiked to about 70% but quickly fell. i did this multiple times. always went back to 40%. i've had 20 cigars in there, or should i say "sticks", for a couple months, with an open bottle of cigar fluid, and it's never got above 40%. you guys think it's really at 70% or so? Or are my cigars dry? How can you tell? Should I do the sponge?

[/ QUOTE ]

a. Sponge it down with distilled water. If you can't find distilled water easily use Smart Water, it's just distilled water.s
b. calibrate your hydrometer. link (http://www.stogieguys.com/2006/07/stogie-tip-salt-calibration-test.html)

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2:

Do you guys spit while smoking? I had a repeater (http://www.neptunecigar.com/The-Repeater-cigars/) tonight on my porch. I don't smoke much, but when I do, I'm spitting constantly. I don't smoke too often, and started in high school, when spitting was just as cool as smoking cigars. Am I doing this out of habit, or do all cigar smokers spit? I noticed this because it made it hard to sip on my whiskey. As for the quality of the cigar I had, I bought a bunch of cigars when I got my humidor, some cheap some expensive. I forgot which were which, so I guess I got the cheap one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some spit all the time. I spit sometimes, depending on the cigar and situation.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 3:

Exactly where should I buy a digital hygrometer. I checked radioshack, where guids said he bought his, and they only had an outdoor, combo thermometer thing. Probably not what i'm looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the one with the thermometer. Temp is important too.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 4:

I tried sucking some smoke in through my nose like limon does, and it burned like a mofo. How many people do this? I normally try to avoid this situation, by breathing oxygen into my lungs only when the cigar isn't near my face. Can you guys actually breathe normally with a cigar hanging out of your mouth? That smoke coming of the end of the cigar, and through your nose doesn't bother you?

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll stop bothering you after a while.

pokah5
11-19-2007, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this and it doesn't burn at all... I think it's great and obviously stimulates more senses and enhances the flavor greatly.

Aces McGee
11-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I've never been able to get much enrichment out of inhaling through my nose. I have found that exhaling through the nose really bolsters the flavor, however.

-McGee

Bicycles_Biatch
11-20-2007, 03:32 AM
Just smoked a Oliva Series V... the Afficiando cigar of the year...

it was excellent. Loved the flavor

ooinsight
11-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Go with beads as your humidification element, you won't regret it

RyanCMU
11-21-2007, 04:50 PM
If I want to enjoy a nice cigar at home after a long day w/o going outside any tips for helping w/ the smell?

I live in a cold weather state, and now that its approaching winter, its just not feasible to smoke outside anymore and be comfortable.

Any tips for us indoor smokers?

toutatis70
11-21-2007, 07:40 PM
I had smoked a hand rolled imported cigar that had an excellent draw and had a creamy taste as well as being light. wrapper was light colored. Does anyone here know of a cigar I'm looking for?

BretWeir
11-22-2007, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I want to enjoy a nice cigar at home after a long day w/o going outside any tips for helping w/ the smell?

I live in a cold weather state, and now that its approaching winter, its just not feasible to smoke outside anymore and be comfortable.

Any tips for us indoor smokers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that the smell from the smoke itself dissipates pretty quickly if you have decent ventilation. It's leaving out the butt that really stinks up the place (even if it's in the trash). So make sure you throw away the butt outside as soon as you're done smoking.

Also, sometimes lighting up one of those girly scented candles afterward helps.

TxRedMan
11-22-2007, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just smoked a Oliva Series V... the Afficiando cigar of the year...

it was excellent. Loved the flavor

[/ QUOTE ]

smoked an oliva robusto this week b/c someone raved about it on here...the first third was okay and the rest was [censored] imo.

highly reccomend the davidoff 6000's if you like robustos, try it with a glass of milk/desert.

the habanos partagas serie d robusto is killer!

also, the trinidad robusto extra (?) is awesome.

smoked a cohiba lanceros last week and liked it, but not as much as the corona especiale.

thought the montecristo edmundo sucked.

-Tex

delaware99
11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
New to this forum, but def love cigars.

Smoked an AVO lounge addition (teal label) you can only get it in Orlando at the AVO lounge/ Corona Cigar shop. It is a def must have if you can get it shipped to you. Also just smoked the AVO LE 7. If you can find it, buy a few, it is getting better with age. Smoke one now and hold the rest for a special occasion.

Taso
11-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I got a nice Rocky Patel 1992 for about $6.50 I think. Price is much lower than it used to be at my local store, I wonder why. I used to get the big size (wow, I need to learn cigar terms?!) which was $10, but I got kind of tired of smoking it for that long, so I decided to go with the smaller one, which seems to be about 6 inches or so. Corona? What are the terms yo?

Aces McGee
11-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Just want to tack on to Delaware's post that Avo is a really nice brand. Might be a little beyond the pale for some (including me, I've only bought them when my local shop has had special prices on them, or for special occasions), but they are highly flavorful, enjoyable smokes.

-McGee

Tony_P
11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got a nice Rocky Patel 1992 for about $6.50 I think. Price is much lower than it used to be at my local store, I wonder why. I used to get the big size (wow, I need to learn cigar terms?!) which was $10, but I got kind of tired of smoking it for that long, so I decided to go with the smaller one, which seems to be about 6 inches or so. Corona? What are the terms yo?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.aficionado-a-havanas.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/size.html

cwsiggy
11-27-2007, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just want to tack on to Delaware's post that Avo is a really nice brand. Might be a little beyond the pale for some (including me, I've only bought them when my local shop has had special prices on them, or for special occasions), but they are highly flavorful, enjoyable smokes.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to ask how are the Avo's these days, then saw your post. May have to try them again. When I used to smoke cigars - I remember that brand being a very, very good smoke.

delaware99
11-27-2007, 10:11 PM
just bought the AVO 7-8-7 (brown label). it used to be a limited addition until they recently brought it back. ill let you know if it is worth the $11

TxRedMan
11-28-2007, 10:58 AM
must try habanos:

montecristo #2
montecristo especiale
partagas serie D #4
trinidad fundadores
hoyo de monterrey epicure #2
hoyo de monterrey petit robusto
por larranga petit coronas
cohiba corona especiale
cohiba robusto
hoyo de monterrey regalos LE
h upmann connasieur
romeo and juliet escudos
cohiba esplendidos (churchill)
punch punch

the best off that list are the monte #2 (not the especiale #2, good cigar, but different), the cohiba corona especiale, and the romeo and juliet escudo.

Habanos smoker for life.

Aces McGee
11-28-2007, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
monte #2 (not the especiale #2, good cigar, but different)

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one of these is a torp?

-McGee

Taso
11-28-2007, 11:07 PM
WAs reading through this thread again, and I came across a post that said you don't technically have to have a humidor. I needed to store a few cigars, no humidor, so I googled it, and found that I could put them in a plastic bag with a damp paper towel, and that would keep them "fresh"

How long can I do this for before they go...I don't know, "stale"? It's only been one night, I was planning on smoking it tonight, not sure if that is going to happen though. How long EDF, how long? Obviously I can re-wet the sponge.

ChoicestHops
11-29-2007, 12:21 AM
I had this last night after I randomly saw it at the liquor store

http://www.makersmarkgiftshop.com/images/MM001.jpg

It was very good and tastes like bourbon. I definitely recommend it.

Tony_P
11-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Taso,

They'll keep for as long as you keep the proper amount of moisture in there.

Obv, this is hard to tell with a makeshift humidor, but you should be ok for a couple of weeks.

Make sure the sponge or towel is not in contact with the sticks.

Taso
11-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks Tony. I ended up smoking them last night, but this is good to know, as I don't really smoke enough to justify having a humidor. Will definitly be used in the future.