PDA

View Full Version : morality VII

siegfriedandroy
02-02-2007, 04:07 AM
why the evil in the world? as i get censured, etc., and as we all disagree over the proper course, why are there real people out there killing each other? one of my closest friends in the world, victor, is an atheist, and he believes that explosives were planted in new york, and that buildings cannot simply collapse as the trade center did on 9/11. i, not being an engineer, cannot properly argue with him. bottom line: victor hates the US, and believes basically that all of the evil in the world today has been caused by the us. i believe that evil exists in the US, and also outside of it. in the end, why dont people simply stop killing each other? i dont and will never, kill anyone. whoever reads this most likely will not either. who are the people that actually kill? why do they? and why do all of the atheists (at least all of you should) believe that there is in reality no such thing as GOOD or EVIL? this belief is obviously wrong to me, even drunk, when my chess rating dips below 1000.

FortunaMaximus
02-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Welcome back. A more rational, gentler approach would require gentle, rational people to [censored] like rabbits and reproduce similar.

And let the nasty ones kill each other off.

As for anti-American sentiment. If you've ever been in a situation where you were bullied, was your first instinct to give him a hug? Probably not. I think it's just that on a larger scale.

What are your thoughts on Colli Albani? I love their Fontana Di Papa. It's a wonderful white wine.

Rearden
02-02-2007, 04:21 AM
Your friend victor is pretty dense to think that the US is the sole cause of evil in the world.

If you need help debunking his 9/11 claims google search 9/11 theories and popular science... they have an article series online that pretty thoroughly debunks a lot of that garbage.

Atheists dont necesarily disavow good and evil. Atheists simply by definition just dont believe in god. You can find good atheists, bad atheists, tall atheists, short atheists, fat atheists, disabled atheists, etc. Just like you can find all variations of Christians or theists in general. If youre looking for arguements as to the nature of what we consider good or evil my advice is to wait until youre sober and then pull out a hefty stack of reading literature that presents answers ranging from "because god said so" to "genetic programing" "social conditioning" etc etc etc.

Also I think even you, or victor, can agree that if tomorrow the US and or religion stopped murder would still happen. People are at once capable of wonderful and terrible things for a huge variety of reasons.

hope you dont end up with a hangover

John21
02-02-2007, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont and will never, kill anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt that's true. You might not murder someone, but kill? Under no circumstances?

MidGe
02-02-2007, 04:56 AM
...why do all of the atheists (at least all of you should) believe that there is in reality no such thing as GOOD or EVIL? this belief is obviously wrong to me, even drunk, when my chess rating dips below 1000.

s&r,

stick to drinking! I am an atheist and I have no problem knowing right from wrong or, as you would name them, GOOD from EVIL.

In fact, that is why I could never believe in a benevolent god, and anything less is definitely not worthy of worship in my books.

CaseS87
02-02-2007, 05:22 AM
People act unreasonably. The further we promote reason, the more evil subsides.

Your friend's beliefs are (almost) as unreasonable as the Islamic terrorists who flew planes into the WTCs.

reb
02-02-2007, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you need help debunking his 9/11 claims google search 9/11 theories and popular science... they have an article series online that pretty thoroughly debunks a lot of that garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

And have you read the thorough de-debunking of that article? If not, you should, for the sake of objectivity.

vhawk01
02-02-2007, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And have you read the thorough de-debunking of that article? If not, you should, for the sake of objectivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have, or at least most of it, although I am similarly NOT an engineer. Do you find it uncompelling?

reb
02-02-2007, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have, or at least most of it, although I am similarly NOT an engineer. Do you find it uncompelling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, should I?