PDA

View Full Version : Quick gas station rant

NLSoldier
02-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure about in other parts of the country but it seems that here in san diego more and more gas stations are switching to debit/atm only at the pump instead of credit cards. Most also charge a fee for this, but that is of far less concern than the inconvenience of not taking a freaking credit card.

Getting gas is a huge inconvenience as it is imo, and having to walk into the station and wait in line makes it like 10x worse.

I pulled up to one tonight, realized they didnt take credit cards at the pump, and got back in my car an drove away. I plan to boycott all of these gas stations from now on unless i am in a huge hurry or really really need gas.

Anyone else feel the same way or am i turning into an stubborn old man?

punkass
02-01-2007, 11:38 PM
I know of no such thing happening in baltimore. I am free to use my debit or credit card with no difference in price than if I were paying in cash.

btw, paid 1.97/gal. the other day. Felt good to not have to pay $40 to fill the tank.

Brain
02-01-2007, 11:38 PM
That sounds pretty stupid to me. Why wouldn't they allow credit cards at the pump? Major inconvenience.

Of course, I'm in Jersey where I just hand my credit card to the guy because I CAN'T PUMP MY OWN FREAKING GAS ANYWAY!!

[censored]
02-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Dude, you allowed to pump you're own gas stop complaining.

the whole debit/credit conflict is a strange one that you only see at gas stations. Yesterday I was inside paying and was asked if Id like to use credit and save money ($0.50 I think) but what I find odd is I've never encountered this conflict at any other type of Merchant.

additionally to expand the discussion some.

Am I the only who is driven crazy by fact that Visa markets itself on not needing ID yet anytime I go to Tacobell,Subway or some other place where I am spending under $10 I am asked for an ID almost every time. Ridiculous.

NLSoldier
02-01-2007, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know of no such thing happening in baltimore. I am free to use my debit or credit card with no difference in price than if I were paying in cash.

btw, paid 1.97/gal. the other day. Felt good to not have to pay $40 to fill the tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thats how it generally is almost everywhere.

but lately there have been places that dont accept credit cards at the pump. THey refer to debit cards as ATM cards and charge you a fee just like an ATM would except smaller.

Some also include things that will allow you to pay at the pump with cash. But I think prepaying with cash is super annoying bc you either dont get all the way filled up or have to go inside anyways for change.

NLSoldier
02-01-2007, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the whole debit/credit conflict is a strange one that you only see at gas stations. Yesterday I was inside paying and was asked if Id like to use credit and save money ($0.50 I think) but what I find odd is I've never encountered this conflict at any other type of Merchant.

Am I the only who is driven crazy by fact that Visa markets itself on not needing ID yet anytime I go to Tacobell,Subway or some other place where I am spending under $10 I am asked for an ID almost every time. Ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive seen the credit/debit thing at a few smaller ma and pop type markets and stuff.

the place across the street from me charges 60 for debit and has a $10 min. for credit.

ahnuld
02-02-2007, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a minority? I've never been asked for ID when using my credit card in my life. Is that standard for most people?

Golden_Rhino
02-02-2007, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a minority? I've never been asked for ID when using my credit card in my life. Is that standard for most people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just gonna post the same thing. I live in Canada, is it an American thing to ID credit cards?

edfurlong
02-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Gas stations in Oregon are [censored] retarded.

4 High
02-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Ive never been asked for Id on any CC Visa or other. I have also never encountered a Gas Station that only took Debit.

tdarko
02-02-2007, 12:51 AM
"Are you a minority? I've never been asked for ID when using my credit card in my life. Is that standard for most people?"

I know this wasn't intended for me but this reminds me of how random "asking for ID" is. About a month ago I made a purchase for about $400 and wasn't asked for identification when paying with my credit card. A few days later at the same place I spent $10 and was asked to show identification when paying with my credit card. This seemed backwards to me but whatever.

I never understood this either because most of the time a merchant has asked for ID they half-assedly look at my license and shove my card through the machine (or let me run it, whatever the device)...point being it could be a picture of a woman and it wouldn't really matter is the impression I am getting, these are people that don't want to be there anyway.

Oh, and I am not a minority.

And I have also never encountered a gas station that only took debit/ATM, this is crazy talk!

Claunchy
02-02-2007, 12:57 AM
I've never been to a gas station that didn't accept credit at the pump either, but most do require that you enter your billing zip code around my area. Is that standard everywhere? Seems like it would at least prevent fraudulent charges from retarded criminals.

Big Poppa Smurf
02-02-2007, 01:06 AM
- Cashiers are supposed to ask you for ID if you haven't signed the back of the credit card. However very, very few cashiers ever check for this.

-Minimum purchases to use your credit card are technically illegal.

-If I had to guess, they switched to credit card inside to force you to use your debit card. That way they can charge an "atm fee" that will cover the percentage of the transaction that the credit card companies take out for processing, and most people will be too lazy to walk inside to use their credit card.

NLSoldier
02-02-2007, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
- Cashiers are supposed to ask you for ID if you haven't signed the back of the credit card. However very, very few cashiers ever check for this.

-Minimum purchases to use your credit card are technically illegal.

-If I had to guess, they switched to credit card inside to force you to use your debit card. That way they can charge an "atm fee" that will cover the percentage of the transaction that the credit card companies take out for processing, and most people will be too lazy to walk inside to use their credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that is def. the reason they are doing it and its gay as hell!

tdarko
02-02-2007, 01:12 AM
"- Cashiers are supposed to ask you for ID if you haven't signed the back of the credit card. However very, very few cashiers ever check for this."

What if you did sign the back of your credit card? What if they never look at the back and just ask for ID, what does this mean? I am asking you b/c you seem to know this stuff.

ThaSaltCracka
02-02-2007, 01:18 AM
I usually just use my debit card and not care about the extra fee. Not worth stressing over, since gas is already so pricey. Plus, not having to pump your own gas ONLY sucks when you have to wait. Otherwise, its quite nice. Never thought I would get use to it.

ThaSaltCracka
02-02-2007, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"- Cashiers are supposed to ask you for ID if you haven't signed the back of the credit card. However very, very few cashiers ever check for this."

What if you did sign the back of your credit card? What if they never look at the back and just ask for ID, what does this mean? I am asking you b/c you seem to know this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

On every card I have, I have my sig and a note asking for ID. Actually pisses me off when people don't ask. Mindless drones.

Big Poppa Smurf
02-02-2007, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea, the only times I've been asked to show ID are after they've checked the back of the card!

Big Poppa Smurf
02-02-2007, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On every card I have, I have my sig and a note asking for ID. Actually pisses me off when people don't ask. Mindless drones.

[/ QUOTE ]

TSC,

I cashiered for about a year total experience in two different places; no one ever told me I was supposed to check the backs of the cards. However they also told us to try and make the customer swipe the card so we would have nothing to do with credit card theft problems.

ThaSaltCracka
02-02-2007, 01:51 AM
BPS,

I hadn't thought about it, but now that you mention that. Anyone else notice how many places have that swiper in front now? It probably is there to reduce their liability with CC theft.

At every retail job I had, if a CC was being used, you had to check the back, but this was before most people started using debit cards. It was either cash or a credit card.

mikeyworm
02-02-2007, 01:53 AM
In L.A. all of the ARCO stations only accept debit/cash. They charge a small (maybe .50 fee for using your debit card) They are usually about 10c cheaper per gallon then the other places. They also have this weird kiosk thing that you have to walk to and make sure you type in the correct pump number before you pay. It sucks. Then again, I have never been someone to quibble over an exta 14c per gallon. I have a small car so that's like a 1.50 difference. Really doesn't matter. I consistently fill up at a station that is 45 seconds closer to my apartment even though it costs about 10c more per gallon.

ThaSaltCracka
02-02-2007, 01:56 AM
ARCO gas is not good for your car.

mikeyworm
02-02-2007, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that makes me feel even better about never going there. I hate using my debit card. At least I get miles for my CC.

mikeyworm
02-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Also, why?

ThaSaltCracka
02-02-2007, 02:04 AM
I have been told by someone who use to work on cars. Can't remember the exact reasons, but I would avoid them.

VORP
02-02-2007, 02:20 AM
I'm pretty sure every Arco in CA and NV has the debit only setup. That's the first I've heard about their gas being bad. It is pretty consistently cheaper.

milliondollaz
02-02-2007, 02:24 AM
get your gas here....

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada

top tier (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html) retailers. it only means that they have an approved amount of detergents, but at least you know the gas has been tested and it's not complete crap.

Shillx
02-02-2007, 02:30 AM
I don't know if this is still the case but it probably had/had to do with fraud. People would steal CCs and test them at gas pumps. Makes perfect sense from a criminals perspective.

Also you can look up the MSDS for various gasolines. They are all basically the same.

Alobar
02-02-2007, 02:43 AM
Thats [censored], as a merchant there is no difference between a credit card or a debit card, both have the exact same fees. I guess it could be a fraud thing like shill mentioned, but I doubt thats the case. Stolen hard credit cards arent a big enough issue that a place of business would stop taking all cards because of it.

anyway, thankfully I havent seen a pump in Phoenix that doesnt take credit. What is effing annoying tho is the pumps that only let you put $50 in, I cant fill my tank for less than 50, so to fill up I gotta run my [censored] card twice.

CORed
02-02-2007, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt this. Any tank truck driver will tell you it all comes out of the same tank. Gasoline is about the most commoditized product around. In all but the biggest cities, there are no more than three or four refineries or pipeline terminals that supply all of the gasoline in the town.

Big Poppa Smurf
02-02-2007, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt this. Any tank truck driver will tell you it all comes out of the same tank. Gasoline is about the most commoditized product around. In all but the biggest cities, there are no more than three or four refineries or pipeline terminals that supply all of the gasoline in the town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. The non-name brand gas companies just get the stuff at the bottom of the tank I believe.

firstyearclay
02-02-2007, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about in other parts of the country but it seems that here in san diego more and more gas stations are switching to debit/atm only at the pump instead of credit cards. Most also charge a fee for this, but that is of far less concern than the inconvenience of not taking a freaking credit card.

Getting gas is a huge inconvenience as it is imo, and having to walk into the station and wait in line makes it like 10x worse.

I pulled up to one tonight, realized they didnt take credit cards at the pump, and got back in my car an drove away. I plan to boycott all of these gas stations from now on unless i am in a huge hurry or really really need gas.

Anyone else feel the same way or am i turning into an stubborn old man?

[/ QUOTE ]

NL,

I am in Bay Park and I had to get gas the other day on Morena. Same [censored] dude. I had to use cash. bah!

Its like this in Vegas alot more then here. I hope this doesnt get worse.

FYC

punkass
02-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Also, there hasn't been a time where I was able to use my debit card as a credit card (exception: hotels and car rentals). When I swipe my debit card at the pump, it asks me "Credit or Debit", and I pick credit. No ATM fees, money taken out of checking account in a day. Same thing for the grocery store, online shopping, etc.

RR
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyway, thankfully I havent seen a pump in Phoenix that doesnt take credit. What is effing annoying tho is the pumps that only let you put $50 in, I cant fill my tank for less than 50, so to fill up I gotta run my [censored] card twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to work at a place that had pumps like this many years ago. I didn't know these pumps still existed, but back then what happened was if you ran your card it did a $50 hold like a hotel does so if you had less than $50 available the card would be declined at the pump. I think these days they are able to get authorization if there is $1 available.

4_2_it
02-02-2007, 10:26 AM
All clear in Philly. We pump our own gas and pay with credit cards.

RR
02-02-2007, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this wasn't intended for me but this reminds me of how random "asking for ID" is. About a month ago I made a purchase for about $400 and wasn't asked for identification when paying with my credit card. A few days later at the same place I spent $10 and was asked to show identification when paying with my credit card. This seemed backwards to me but whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a violation of their agreement with MC and Visa to ask for ID (I think this only applies if the card is signed), but a lot of places do anyway. I don't know if some merchants have their own agreement that does allow them to ask for ID (the Post Office always asks for ID).

chopstick
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I have not yet seen a gas station that does not allow credit card usage at the pump. I'm in the D.C. area.

I'm not surprised that the stations want to have their customers use something other than credit cards, as credit card usage means the gas station takes a 2-4% hit on the transaction. That can really add up fast.

Someone mentioned that the fees to the gas station are the same for debit/credit - I was under the impression that the credit fee was higher, can anyone else please chime in on this?

Not to hijack, but another thing about gas stations that I'd like to add to the rant is the attempt to sell you stuff at the pump prior to your transaction being completed - like when you swipe your card, pump your gas, then hang up the nozzle and before you get the receipt? y/n prompt, it asks if you want a car wash. You have to answer that before you can get your receipt. For those of us who use those receipts for tax purposes, this is really annoying.

Also annoying is the "Debit?" question that pops up right after you sweep your card - the way this is done makes me think that the fees to the station are less for debit than for credit. I dislike this as well, but wonder if enough people use their credit cards as debit cards for it to be a reasonable question. The car wash is most certainly not, and I actively avoid places that do that.

Dids
02-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Don't know of any place where I can't use a credit card.

[censored] is right, Oregon is the worst place ever for gas. I almost killed a guy because I pulled up, realized I didn't have cash or something, and then drove off, and I was unaware that he'd already pulled off the gas cap and was sitting there holding it when I returned.

Borodog
02-02-2007, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be really sketchy looking. I'm a dirty hippie looking dude and they never ask me for ID.

Maybe they're askeered.

Josey_Wales
02-02-2007, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand this. If I sign the back of my card, potential thieves would know how I sign my name and could then forge it. I consider myself a pretty good forger of signatures and if i were a thief, I could do it. ANy purchase made without my authenic looking signature would be fraud. IMO, signing the back and not asking for ID on any card is stupid.

punkass
02-02-2007, 12:16 PM
http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

No one really checks the signature to match the one on your card. It's a false sense of security.

tdarko
02-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Josey Wales,

See, your explanation was the reason I thought they asked to see your license, so that they could match signatures. This still doesn't make any sense to me at all because the electric signing pad box at the DMV is tiny and awkward, half my hand is off the box where I can't rest to write and I end up writing in an unnatural position and the resulting signature is nothing like what I write like. When I sign a credit card I sign normally, obviously. So the two signatures aren't even close.

So two things happen when I purchase an item. 1) They improperly don't ask for ID after seeing my signature 2) They look at my license and either don't notice that the signatures are nowhere close to each other (though I signed them both) or they really don't give a [censored].

I am thinking it doesn't matter, most of these clerks are waiting for their 15 minute break so they can smoke some herb just to get through their miserable day at Best Buy.

Aloysius
02-02-2007, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my understanding (also seems like common sense to me)... I am an ARCO devotee (because it's the cheapest gas in my hood) so if anyone has any reason why ARCO is bad love to hear it.

ID w/Credit Card purchase - feel like this has become the standard - outside of restaurants, happens all the time (maybe it's just in LA). I am a minority (but I'm Asian and clean-cut looking).

-Al

Borodog
02-02-2007, 04:19 PM
My understanding is that the problem with some of the second/third tier gasoline stations is that they do not have as rigorous a corporate inspection policy regarding the holding tanks. If some ancient mom & pop gas station has water seeping into the holding tank into their gas, that is not good for your engine.

However, most of the large chains don't have this kind of problem, which I believe includes ARCO.