PDA

View Full Version : Good to know I am not being taught by a moran..nevermind.

Prodigy54321
02-01-2007, 10:48 PM
we're focussing on argumentative writing in my English Composition II class at my local community college. (I guess I should expect this)

we are discussing an essay arguing for single-sex education.my professor decided to go into detail about the "bad" parts of the essay..one was that the author neglected to mention that he was a retired president of the single-sex instituation in question...

then my prefessor decided to go into detail about how the author was misleading in his statistics...there was plenty to point out, but for some reason, he decided to go with this one..

"women's colleges produce only 4.5 percent of all female college graduates but have produced one-fourth of all women board members of Fortune 500 companies and one-half of the women in Congress."

my professor then went on to say (in so many words).."you see, he says 'one-fourth' because it seems impressive, but if you really think about it..if one fourth of women board members come from single-sex institutions, that means that 75% come from coed institutions, so it really doesn't support his argument."

he said a similar thing about the other statistic...

I pointed out that he is a moran, but he insisted that he was correct...he seemed to be giving in and finally gave me this gem...."well, yeah, that is impressive that out of those 4.5% that graduated from the women only institutions, 25% became board members of Fortune 500 companies and 50% became congresswomen."

--I wouldn't mind so much if it were just a regular writing course, but seriously, how can you teach argumentative writing and be this dumb.

/endrant

madnak
02-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Holy frickin' hell.

cambraceres
02-02-2007, 04:48 AM
That's awesome man, you should have some authority with this prof from this. He probably made a mistake and felt he could play off your uncertainty to get you to digress. But, it's pretty hard to be uncertain about the retardation of that statement.

Cam

txag007
02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Educated beyond his intelligence.

HeavilyArmed
02-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Agenda + ignorance = lousy education

The education 'profession' attracts the academic bottom of the barrel if test scores have any meaning. It is also ovelwhelmingly liberal, more than 5-1 by some counts.

And the worst part, from my back and forth with the young posters here, is that they have no idea how poorly they've been educated. It's entirely natural to trust everything you learn but if you're only hearing half the story you can't make reasonable real world decisions.

vhawk01
02-02-2007, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The education 'profession' attracts the academic bottom of the barrel if test scores have any meaning. It is also ovelwhelmingly liberal, more than 5-1 by some counts.

And the worst part, from my back and forth with the young posters here, is that they have no idea how poorly they've been educated. It's entirely natural to trust everything you learn but if you're only hearing half the story you can't make reasonable real world decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, who would have thought this thread would encourage a sermon from you? Shocking.

kurto
02-02-2007, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, who would have thought this thread would encourage a sermon from you? Shocking.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif
In another thread someone asked if anyone knew if heavily armed was operating at a different (presumeably sarcastic) level. I thought Armed's post here was the irony reaching a state of perfection.

I still can't stop laughing at his choice of Avatar. He just got banned the other day for another one of his racists posts.

Hercules
02-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Lol OP, i love these percentage monkeys.

Like these people who think a company is running best ever because their rate of expansion increased by 100%...

[i guess I have to mention that this would be true for a company, which expanded 1% last year and 2% this year]

Lol, i guess your prof will be astonished......

MaxWeiss
02-03-2007, 06:06 AM
This is bad enough that you really ought to go to the chair of the English department and ask them for a refund of the money you paid for that course, while still getting the necessary course credit for graduation.

A mistake like that is common, and MAYBE even excusable in a school. But it is inexcusable IN A CLASS DEALING WITH LOGICAL ARGUMENT. This is the TEACHER of the class for crying out. If his mind is not able to comprehend basic math, he is unfit for his job and you should be refunded.