PDA

View Full Version : prize pool distribution formula

metsfan88
02-01-2007, 08:50 PM
hey,

I am making a small poker game and I have been trying to figure out a good formula for setting up the prize pool distribution but I haven't been able to. Anyone know one?

Thanks,
-mets

arahant
02-01-2007, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey,

I am making a small poker game and I have been trying to figure out a good formula for setting up the prize pool distribution but I haven't been able to. Anyone know one?

Thanks,
-mets

[/ QUOTE ]

don't follow...like for a tournament? with an arbitrary number of players?
Does it have to be a single formula? What's the motivation?

metsfan88
02-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I am making a poker game involving tournaments so I wanted to try and figure out a general formula for finding out the prize pool distribution.

arahant
02-01-2007, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am making a poker game involving tournaments so I wanted to try and figure out a general formula for finding out the prize pool distribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....never thought about it. If you want realism, usually the top 10% pay-out, with brackets for every 10 players. This makes it a little hard to have a closed formula. You could just use a table...here is one from everest : Tournament payouts (http://www.everestpoker.com/popups/mtt_payouts_standard.html)

jstnrgrs
02-02-2007, 01:00 AM
I don't know why, but I think a good formula would be

prize=A*e^(b*n)

where n is the place that a player finishes. b is adjusted so that the player who finishes in the n^(1/2) place gets his buyin back. A is adjusted so that the entire prize pool is paid out.