PDA

View Full Version : Couple naive questions about neteller arrests

jschaud
02-01-2007, 01:27 AM
The US arrested two non-citizens and are presumably holding them for committing a crime. Since the US law goes against the WTO ruling, could whatever country those guys are from (Isle of man?) throw a hissy fit and demand they be released?

I understand that the US really doesn't seem to care what other countries say or do, but what if these guys are from Germany or the UK? Could this possibly be another way to get the EU riled up enough to pursue trade sanctions against us for not complying?

BluffTHIS!
02-01-2007, 01:38 AM
They are released on bail but can't go out of narrowly defined geographical areas in the US. And unlike the EU countries, the US hasn't surrendered part of its sovereignty to a multi-national court like the EU nations have. Also any impact from WTO issues is more long term, and thus won't help them, especially since the indictments relate primarily to assisting US citizens in money laundering and not with gambling.

jschaud
02-01-2007, 01:42 AM
thanks

JPFisher55
02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
The WTO decision has already been plead as a defense in the Carruthers case. I am sure that it will be part of the defense by the Neteller founders.

Todpullen
02-01-2007, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The US arrested two non-citizens and are presumably holding them for committing a crime. Since the US law goes against the WTO ruling, could whatever country those guys are from (Isle of man?) throw a hissy fit and demand they be released?

I understand that the US really doesn't seem to care what other countries say or do, but what if these guys are from Germany or the UK? Could this possibly be another way to get the EU riled up enough to pursue trade sanctions against us for not complying?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Yahoo news they are Canadian:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070116/wr_nm/crime_neteller_dc