PDA

View Full Version : The Consequences of Sklansky's African babies thread?

fish2plus2
01-31-2007, 02:43 AM
Can someone please explain to me the consequences of the fact that I dont care if babies are dying in Africa? Does it mean I should convert to nihilism? Can I still consider myself a good person even though I dont care that babies are dying in Africa?

vhawk01
01-31-2007, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me the consequences of the fact that I dont care if babies are dying in Africa? Does it mean I should convert to nihilism? Can I still consider myself a good person even though I dont care that babies are dying in Africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply that you are a selfish bastard whose daily actions can be influenced by dramatic, anecdotal emotional pleas more so than rational, reasonable thought from time to time.

Just like the rest of us.

RJT
01-31-2007, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me the consequences of the fact that I dont care if babies are dying in Africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by consequences? No one is going to kill you because of it, if that is what you mean. In fact I doubt very much if anyone would even be surprised by that. Those who don’t know you whom you tell that to can form a pretty good opinion of you. That would save folk a lot of time in getting to know you. Actually, that is probably a good idea. When you meet people you should make it a point to bring that up the first opportunity you have. That way they can decide how much time that want spend getting to know you better or not spend any more time.

[ QUOTE ]
Can I still consider myself a good person even though I dont care that babies are dying in Africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure nothing you ever do will change your opinion of yourself. I am sure you will always think of yourself as a wonderful person.

Since you didn’t ask what others might think of you, I won’t say.

arahant
01-31-2007, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by 'don't care'? Like, "I'd rather eat a big mac than save every baby in africa" don't care, or more like "i don't think about it, i've got a life to live" don't care...?

BluffTHIS!
02-01-2007, 06:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I still consider myself a good person even though I dont care that babies are dying in Africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

"When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'

Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?' And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.'

Then he will say to those at his left hand, `Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.'

Then they also will answer, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' Then he will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

-Matt. 25:30-46 RSV-CE

MidGe
02-01-2007, 07:05 AM
BluffThis,

I accept and respect your good intentions, but when you say [ QUOTE ]
When the Son of man comes in his glory...

[/ QUOTE ] we will be waiting forever.

Mickey Brausch
02-01-2007, 03:36 PM
LOL @ IMAGINATIONSFIGMENTS

chezlaw
02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'

Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?' And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.'

Then he will say to those at his left hand, `Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.'

Then they also will answer, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' Then he will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Lord, did we not cure thee of hunger, of thirst, of nakedness, of sickness, of imprisonment by dropping a whacking great thermonuclear device on thee.

ojc02
02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the lord all powerful? Why did he make those people hungry, naked, and sick? Couldn't he just have made them all well and happy? Why does he need his little humans to strive to provide for babies in Africa?

madnak
02-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Do you want to care that babies are dying in Africa? If there were a little switch and you could set it to "care about Africa" and "don't care about Africa," where would you put the switch?

madnak
02-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah, goats all go to hell. It's those damn creepy eyes.

valenzuela
02-01-2007, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me the consequences of the fact that I dont care if babies are dying in Africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a selfish person

[ QUOTE ]
Does it mean I should convert to nihilism?

[/ QUOTE ]

ehhh..no. Because you actually care about yourself

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahah, of course not.

BluffTHIS!
02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the lord all powerful? Why did he make those people hungry, naked, and sick? Couldn't he just have made them all well and happy? Why does he need his little humans to strive to provide for babies in Africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about Adam & Eve and the apple.

SNOWBALL
02-01-2007, 08:20 PM
BluffThis!,

What do you suppose Jesus is going to say to Bush for bombing the [censored] out of him so many times in Iraq?

cbh
02-01-2007, 09:37 PM
The only consequence for your position on a situation that has no direct bearing on you is perhaps a degree of social ostracism or scolding if it ever comes up in conversation with someone that has a conflicting viewpoint. And yes, you can still be considered a good person in spite of your stance on this particular issue.

holl@b4x
02-01-2007, 09:52 PM
oh wtf when did people start putting bible quotes on here,

get out of here bible thumpers

valenzuela
02-01-2007, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh wtf when did people start putting bible quotes on here,

get out of here bible thumpers

[/ QUOTE ]

You have never ever posted anything on this forum and yet you feel like you have a right to tell ppl what they can or cannot post.
This forum discusses the bible a lot, get used to it or simply leave

Mickey Brausch
02-01-2007, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Isn't is a bit unjust from the part of our Lord that two people would decide the fate of all mankind for millenia to come?

If Adam and Eve had behaved differently, we would not be all born with guilt stamped all over our genes and the Messiah would not have to come down to Earth to be crucified and save us.

Such an ungodly mess.

Mickey Brausch

vhawk01
02-02-2007, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Isn't is a bit unjust from the part of our Lord that two people would decide the fate of all mankind for millenia to come?

If Adam and Eve had behaved differently, we would not be all born with guilt stamped all over our genes and the Messiah would not have to come down to Earth to be crucified and save us.

Such an ungodly mess.

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no doubt. When I get to heaven I am giving that Eve chick a swift kick to the ovaries.

ALawPoker
02-02-2007, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine if Adam was gay. That would've been an abrupt end to God's pipe dream.