PDA

View Full Version : Drawing hand - advice appreciated

El_Oso
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
This hand was at the end of the day and I had played a lot (for me) and was getting ready to quit, so I'm afraid I decided to try to win a big hand to cap my day. I had only been at this table for about 25 hands. Both villians had been playing a lot of hands, and playing somewhat aggressively - Villian 1 was 44/22/1.67 (including pre-flop) and Villian 2 was 59/18/2.29. (this is only 25 hands so it's not significant) I had seen both of them fold to good sized re-raises but had not been in a pot with either of them yet. On to the hand:

Full Tilt Poker Game - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em -
Button: ($7.05)
SB: ($38.15)
BB: Villian 1 ($13.20)
UTG: ($8.65)
Mp1: Villian 2 ($21.65)
MP2: hero ($24.25)
CO: ($5)
SB posts the small blind of $0.10
Villian 1 posts the big blind of $0.25
CO posts $0.25

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to hero [Qc Jh]
UTG calls $0.25
Villian 2 raises to $1.25
hero calls $1.25
3 folds
Villian 1 calls $1
UTG calls $1

Should I have just folded here? Is this a case of me just wanting to get lucky and win one last big pot before I quit?

Total pot $4.75
*** FLOP *** [Th 3s 9d]
Villian 1 bets $1.25
UTG folds
Villian 2 raises to $3.05
hero raises to $15.75
villian 1 calls $10.70, and is all in
villian 2 raises to $20.40, and is all in
hero calls $4.65

So I have a great draw, there is no flush draw, and if my draw hits it is almost sure to win. I was trying to take down the pot with that re-raise, but was it a poor play since there was a bet and then a raise in front of me? I hate just calling, especially when someone is left to act behind me. Obviously I have to call that last little bit all in. Looking back, with all 3 of us in the pot I was basically a tad under 3-1 to hit my draw and if I would have hit the total pot would have given me just under 2.5-1 on my money (starting stack), so I didn't necessarily get the odds I needed to make it +EV. But when you consider the fold equity I had (I think I had FE, in the hands I had been at the table I had won 5 pots, 4 of them were folded to me after I bet and 1 I won at the showdown), does the FE make it a +EV play? Or was I just pressing to try to win one more big pot before I quit? Any feedback is appreciated.

vulturesrow
01-03-2006, 02:48 PM
My quick take: I like a preflop isolation raise against the raiser, especially if you know he has been raising light. Your flop play pretty much depends on what you think your FE is. On the flop, if you are going raise, you might as well raise all in. Calling probably isnt good with someone to act behind you. Your overcard outs probably arent worth much either so you are mostly betting on a draw. Probably better places to get your money in I think.

Freerollin`
01-03-2006, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably better places to get your money in I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Though I'm certainly one (unfortunately) who likes to hit that final big hand at the end of a session. This, of course, is a leak.

That being said, you're up against 3 people who have, relatively speaking, put in the same amount of money. With two cards to come and an up and down straight draw, you're close to getting the right odds here. Of course, this analysis would be better suited to your calling an all-in with position, and ignores any redraws the villians might have.

I wouldn't do it, but I can see an argument for doing it.

matrix
01-03-2006, 02:55 PM
QJo - fold preflop.

OESD hits ~1 time in 5

Villain 2 has announced he has a good made hand already. If you're going for the squeeze play I think you ought to push all in - why leave $4.65 behind - when it's all going in if you get called??

as played I'd call the $3.05 and see the turn - then bail if I didn't make my hand. I'd happily push the flop against 1 villain I think that might be +EV - but not 2.

[all IMHO - I'm still a noob.]

vulturesrow
01-03-2006, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
QJo - fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my post above. Against more straighforward players, sure. But in this situation, I think QJo is playable, though I prefer a raise to a call.

matrix
01-03-2006, 03:22 PM
MP - 5 players left to act behind you - and a 60% VPiP villain raising 5xBB.

tempting but I still fold QJo here everytime - unless I am confident that a raise will isolate villain and get me to the flop HU with position on Villain - then I'm going to raise to about 20BB and push any non A/K flop (assuming flop is HU)

vulturesrow
01-03-2006, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MP - 5 players left to act behind you - and a 60% VPiP villain raising 5xBB.

tempting but I still fold QJo here everytime - unless I am confident that a raise will isolate villain and get me to the flop HU with position on Villain - then I'm going to raise to about 20BB and push any non A/K flop (assuming flop is HU)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill admit its a bit risky with that many people behind. My point was that hand is playable but really only if you raise. You have a pretty good chance to isolate here, as most SSNL types arent going to stick around in this situation. If you get raised, then you can be pretty certain you are beaten. Against these types of players, you have to open up your raising range . I believe it was whitelime that made a really good post on isolating being something that SSNL players dont do enough of.

djoyce003
01-03-2006, 03:59 PM
you have zero fold equity when the flop has been bet and then raised....zero. I don't mind calling the flop just because the lead was weak and he'll likely call the flop raise. This makes it a somewhat loose call but I think someone is on a set or two pair and will pay you off if it hits, so the implied odds are there. I call the flop and if I hit the turn then I get the money in, otherwise i'm folding.