PDA

View Full Version : Looking for motivation

Brice
02-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Before I jump right into my problem, let me give you a little background information.

-I am in college and will graduate in May. I am planning on going to graduate school next year. I use poker to pay the rent, the bills etc. However, I am an extreme tight-ass by nature. I do not buy anything unless I have to. I think that contributes to my motivation.

-I have been able to get through college easily. I never really crack open a book. I read a chapter once and write a few things down. I do not why I write stuff down, I never had to go back over it or anything. I have a good GPA, but not great. I have a really good memory.

-As mentioned, I really do not have a great desire for money. I would like to have it, but it is not necessary. I was thinking of setting goals and challenges for myself, but I just do not see the point of buying new things when I really do not need them.

-I love to win. I like to win so much that it really has affected my play. I will not sit at a table unless I have an edge. That has become an obsession. It takes me much longer to clear a bonus since I will only play if I know I will have a large edge. I do not mind taking weak players money.

-The actual game of poker fascinates me. I love reading poker books. I enjoy learning and getting better. Most of my spare time these days is spent reading about poker and writing down concepts that I have learned. I guess you could say I am researcher at heart.

-I love statistics when it comes to other sports. In fact, you could call me a stat head. But in poker, I really do not pay much attention to my own stats but I do to others. I data-mine all the time. I think this contributes to just ensuring I have the edge.

So, I am faced with this dilemma. I know I can play and live comfortably without having to get a real job or at least to get through graduate school. But poker is boring from time to time, especially when I do not have the desire to move to tougher games, etc. Beating up on fish allows me to win, but it gets repetitive. I get bored and usually just waste away my poker time surfing the Internet.

What can I do to motivate me to play?

perfectpokar
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
getting free money from donks isn't motivation?