PDA

View Full Version : Forcing yourself to play?

SmileyEH
02-08-2006, 01:21 PM
I've been playing poker for a living for a little over a year and am on the worst run of my life (about 100 hours or a little under a month of full time play and down a little). Any tips on forcing myself to play? I feel sick to my stomach every time I load up a poker client...but I need to y'know pay rent, taxes, probably 20k in tuition in the fall.

-SmileyEH

Colonel Kataffy
02-08-2006, 01:25 PM
You might try playing really short sessions for a while.

_TKO_
02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Drop to the microlimits and raise every single street for an entire round. Then leave. Go play a low-limit SnG and aim to bust in the bubble. Then take CK's advice ^^^.

SmileyEH
02-08-2006, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drop to the microlimits and raise every single street for an entire round. Then leave. Go play a low-limit SnG and aim to bust in the bubble. Then take CK's advice ^^^.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done all of those things including taking breaks about 5 times so far.

-SmileyEH

SmileyEH
02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Bleh this was a pretyt pointless post. Played for 3 hours, lost more money as usual in a game where my expectation is 100% positive.

-SmileyEH

_TKO_
02-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Sorry man.

How are you playing?

bernie
02-08-2006, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any tips on forcing myself to play? I feel sick to my stomach every time I load up a poker client

[/ QUOTE ]

If I felt this way, I wouldn't be forcing myself to play. I would be taking a break. I'd really take a break if the above and below quotes are directly related.

[ QUOTE ]
but I need to y'know pay rent, taxes,

[/ QUOTE ]

No living expense roll? This is one reason we have them. It's not just for bad runs.

It's real fun when you feel this way and you're on a good run.

b

fnord_too
02-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Switch games for a spell.

Whenever I feel like you do, I just don't play (but I have a job, so not playing is no biggie). If I do play, it is usually short sessions, especially if I make a quick decent score. I am so competitive though, I usually want to get right back on the horse, even if I probably should take some time off. (But in fairness, I hit spells like the one you describe a lot more when I was playing more than a couple hours a day).

SmileyEH
02-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I've basically done all that stuff. I was playing 1/2 and 2/4nl 30k hands ago, broke even for 25k hands, now I'm playing 2/4 and breaking even again for another 5k. Bleh, well I'm flying home to see my girlfriend this weekend and I'm not bringing my laptop. Once I do come back I really will have to make some cash though.

-SmileyEH

SmileyEH
02-08-2006, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No living expense roll? This is one reason we have them. It's not just for bad runs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in no danger of going broke, but the need to put away a couple thousand every month is pretty much a neccessity for me.

-SmileyEH

raze
02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Bro, go learn the basics of O8, and jump into some 1/2. It'll refresh you a bit, and I found that learning a new game even helps put perspective on my Hold'em game.

Burdzthewurd
02-20-2006, 03:04 AM
And you told me to just play one game /images/graemlins/smile.gif Dabble in other games, but SNGs sound ok too