PDA

View Full Version : MY UNDERSTANDING OF TILT

kr8tos86
02-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I read a post discussed in this forum that discusses that tilt is unavoidable. I would firstly like to say that i do not tilt. A fairly brash statment, but i believe if you have an understanding over a action/emotion you learn to overcome it.

Experiance allows you to understand it. I suffered many what player would call "bad beats", in fact hundreds of them. Sooner or later you have to ignore these and understand that they are a fundemental part of the game, and entirely natural.
You have to understand that there is a risk involved in poker as there are so many variables. These as everyone knows can result in a completly random environment, all you can do is accept this, move on and continue to achieve you goals that you sat down with.

One method that helped me was turning up my "noise filter" and analyzing your thought processes. simply this means to think about what you are thinking about and identify what does't seem positive. If you have negative thought processes whilst you are playing you will not play 100% and will lose money it's as simple as that.

When you begin to understand this and you know you are responsible for you actions and outcomes. The fact the every action you make in poker is a direct reaction to your thought process can be seen clearly. You will also find that doing this in everyday life can help also, and you become more understanding.

Thank You For Reading. Any comments would be app.

/images/graemlins/spade.gifKr8tos /images/graemlins/spade.gif

_TKO_
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would firstly like to say that i do not tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you play?

soko
02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
I highly doubt this.

I have a feeling you are confusing "I haven't tilted in a long time" with "I will never tilt agian".

onegymrat
02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi kr8tos86,

What you wrote seems to be very well thought out and it looks like a nice game plan for all poker players. Was there a reason why you chose to start this thread? John Feeney has terrific essays on this subject in ITPM.

But as you first mentioned, your statement sure seems to be very brash, but then most successful poker players are! What I want you to keep in mind is that points of view will always vary. What tilt is to one person may be optimal play for another. Don't be so hasty in deciding that you are impervious to emotional influence, or the fact that your play is always optimal. So in a nutshell, as your play steadily improves (as we all aspire), what optimal to you now may be tilt in 3 years. Good luck.

bernie
02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Interesting post. Definitely points in the right direction.

You also understand the tilt isn't just brought on by bad beats? It's anytime your game is altered because of emotion to where you're deviating away from playing correctly in given situations. So you can tilt even when you are on a huge run of cards. Just another checkpoint for one's tilt factor to keep in mind.

b

kr8tos86
02-09-2006, 06:19 AM
firstly to reply to tko (whom im learnt much from your posts, thank you), I play everyday. Mostly high stakes mtts, usually about 4-8 tables, and i do believe that there is a small difference between the type of tilt experienced between cash and torns, but i have applied this to my small stakes tables ($1/$2)
Secondly to answer soko, i think the reason you believe im confused is that i did'nt explain myself correctly and (or) go into enough detail about my own game.

I think the reason i decided to deal with the issue of tilt early in my poker career is partially down to the fact that when playing MTT's (although ill be hitting the Cash tables full time soon, and yes i know many people consider this to be the wrong way around) you lose a higher percentage of the time. This was obviously frustrating to me until i discovered a method of correctional ignorance, similar to the theory about not allowing emotions overcome wins/losses/bad beats/luckystreaks so you have an even emotion process all of the time.

All you can do is analyze you thoughts at that particular time and deal when them appropriatly. Usually comparing these thoughts to you "A" game will help you understand how to deal with it. E.G... pair AA gets taken down with 72 off suit. What is going to be going though your head at that time, that guys an idiot, well maybe so but it was better than your hand so get over it? What should you be thinking about? ill tell you, you should continue to play YOUR game and ignore it, if you believe you made the correct decision based on what you have learnt and the other guy got (what some would call)lucky, you should already have the understanding and knowledge of the game to know that this [censored] happens and the guidlines and probability's we're given are no going to give accurate results all of the time.

Thank you for your comments ne on this one would be app.
Kr8tos86

kr8tos86
02-09-2006, 06:24 AM
thank you for your comments onegymrat, you have a very good point. My game isn't as stong as most players on this site (playing for six months, mainly HS Mtt's) but i am developing my skills and posts like this help more than you can imagine.

Kr8tos

_TKO_
02-09-2006, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
firstly to reply to tko (whom im learnt much from your posts, thank you)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. And you're welcome. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i decided to deal with the issue of tilt early in my poker career

[/ QUOTE ]

I followed the same route, and it has helped me immensely with my ability to remain objective about my play.

[ QUOTE ]
I play everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I asked was because I don't play every day, so I can't really imagine the prospect of playing a 6-hour day in the middle of a massive downswing. I would just take a break and return two days later.

As bernie noted, it seems your focus is centered around handling bad beats and other streaks; this is the easiest part of tilt-avoidance. I pride myself on being very objective about my play and emotionally resilient at the table. I'm not perfect, but from what I can tell, I'm better at controlling my emotions than most players I know. There's still one thing that threatens that control: my own mistakes.

I know you're just beginning your small stakes ring game experience. You won't be able to avoid mistakes when you just start out. Eventually you'll make one. Sometimes they'll compound. This can be a lot to bear, because it's your fault. It's not luck; it's not a better player; it's you.

There are a lot of factors that influence tilt; you'd be wise to consider them all.