PDA

View Full Version : Online Gambling now illegal in NY?

lumpy19
01-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Where the heck did this come from? I haven't heard anything about it

News Story (http://www.wten.com/Global/story.asp?S=5984182)

[ QUOTE ]
The game is now over for New Yorkers who like to gamble online.

While it has been illegal to do so in the state for some time, many people found ways around in the past, by placing bets with sites through off-shore companies.

But as NEWS10's Dori Marlin reports, a new law in effect this week essentially takes the sites off-line in New York.

The new law went into effect this past Monday at 9pm, making New York one of just 13 states no longer allowing companies to process bets that are placed online. What that means now:

* While before, it was illegal to gamble online, but people still found a way to place bets...
* Now, in the state, the sites literally will not let you log in and gamble

"I'd play free rolls every day just to kill time," says online gambler, Steve Douglas.

Many, like 24-year-old Steve Douglas of Albany, are upset with the change.

"Not everybody has the opportunity to go to Turning Stone, or even start a home game whenever they feel like it," Douglas says.

But experts say that is part of why the state wants to stop the sites in the first place - they are simply too accessible.

"We certainly know that people are engaged in various forms of online gambling," says UAlbany Associate Professor, Dr. Matthew Martens.

Dr. Martens specializes in counseling psychology, and explains why it is a problem.

"It's gonna' lower the prevalence of people getting involved in this type of gambling, simply because it's gonna' be harder for people to access the sites," Dr. Martens says.

However, many of the sites are trying to find a way around the law once again, to get regulars like Steve back in their stable.

[/ QUOTE ]

PropPlayer
01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
This is the 9th time I've seen this post (not just 2+2)
Total BS news story. Either some reporter is making stuff up or he is misinformed regarding Pinnacle and Party in the USA and takes that as all betting.
This story is a complete joke, if not a hoax.

ericicecream
01-25-2007, 12:29 PM
It makes me laugh how they go about these laws. Have some balls and tackle the issue heads up.

So there is no penalty to the players for playing, but the sites, who are not under new york state or even u.s. jurisdiction, supposedly can't allow it?

Just backwards, man. Just backwards.

At least Washington state tackled it heads-up, giving us players an opportunity to fight back and show how rediculous it is.

PropPlayer
01-25-2007, 12:30 PM
The pic on that site shows 888.
If poker went offline in an entire state us forum folks wouldn't need to read a new article to find out about it.

atomicsoda
01-25-2007, 12:32 PM
This story is wrong. No such law was passed. placing a bet is legal in NY state. In fact the state just allowed NYOTB to take horse bets online and on mobile devices like pda's this week.

xadrez
01-25-2007, 12:35 PM
FWIW, I'm in NY and I have been playing all week.

chigger
01-25-2007, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jan
01-25-2007, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

otctrader
01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where the heck did this come from? I haven't heard anything about it

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread is over here:

http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-ha...e-gambling.html (http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/143011-new-york-state-game-over-state-delivers-blow-online-gambling.html)

Judging by the reporter's response, this is just B-list journalism at its finest.

Carlson411
01-25-2007, 02:01 PM
I was on Pokerstars last night. Cleared my bonus too,lol. Where was this law made in a senators bedroom? Didn't hear about it and I'll be gambling like no tomorrow next session. Take care until July 2007.

metsandfinsfan
01-25-2007, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I'm in NY and I have not been playing all week cause i am a law abiding citizen wink wink.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ekdikeo
01-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Unless the laws have changed, gambling is so illegal in New York, you can't even get a free game on a pinball machine, unless the machine is on freeplay, because technically you're winning a quarter if you win a free game.

JuntMonkey
01-25-2007, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless the laws have changed, gambling is so illegal in New York, you can't even get a free game on a pinball machine, unless the machine is on freeplay, because technically you're winning a quarter if you win a free game.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1994 I placed top 3 on the Addam's Family pinball machine at a resort upstate NY, and got a free game.

PropPlayer
01-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Can I buy a bottle of coke that has a twist off cap that might win me a free screen saver while in NY?

bkynmike
01-25-2007, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chillum
01-25-2007, 06:00 PM
hah i go to ualbany

Jan
01-25-2007, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hah i go to ualbany

[/ QUOTE ]

hah so does my son

JuntMonkey
01-25-2007, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hah i go to ualbany

[/ QUOTE ]

hah so does my son

[/ QUOTE ]

hah so does my gf and so did i

i miss taking the secret tunnels from State to the mailroom.

checkmate36
01-25-2007, 08:35 PM
My cards are so cold they should start enforcing this law.

-6 here in upstate NY and my cards are even colder.

Chillum
01-25-2007, 08:43 PM
state=worst quad

ollie5050
01-25-2007, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I buy a bottle of coke that has a twist off cap that might win me a free screen saver while in NY?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you hold a spork in your hand whilst you redeem it, however if reside in the state you must be able re also recite the alphabet backwards; stand on one hand; juggle a bowling ball, small child, flaming poker table and your aunt sue all at once; and you need to have a valid licence for readeeming winning caps.

ekdikeo
01-25-2007, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In 1994 I placed top 3 on the Addam's Family pinball machine at a resort upstate NY, and got a free game.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least until 1996, when I was no longer paying attention to the pinball world like I do now with the poker world, that would've been illegal. I'm thinking it might be an NYC prohibition, rather than the whole state. This is why the Neteller arrest made such a big deal about the guy setting up the account in Miami, then going to New York to gamble with it.

edit:
from a pinball faq...

>>5.13 - Are replays still illegal in New York City?

Well, replays were a major reason why pinball was banned in the first place,
as far as I know. They are still illegal in NYC, apparently. However, it
turns out most places blissfully ignore this law and let their games give out
replays anyway.

Tuco
01-26-2007, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the spirit, thing!

Tuco.

JuntMonkey
01-26-2007, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the spirit, thing!

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

GREEEEEEEEEDD

Now you've done it...

Move your car! (different game)