View Full Version : Theory Inquiry/Post: preflop

jumbojacks
01-25-2007, 03:27 AM
I've been thinking a lot about optimal preflop play and how I should be playing a lot of situations I've been running across. These days I've been getting 3bet a ton in position and OOP. Even so, I started questioned what I was doing and why I was doing what I've been thinking I should be doing with a variety of hand ranges. Below are some points I was wondering if I could get advice on:

A loose 30/20 type LAGgy type raises in MP. You're on the button, what sort of hands do you 3bet? call? How does your decision change with other LAGs behind you that could squeeze if you weren't on the button or if they were in the blinds? How does this all change if the initial raiser was tight? TAG?

I've taken the approach these days of generally playing tighter against tight openers and playing much looser against looser players in position. Much of this is dependent on postflop play and how well I can take away pots from these players + consideration of implied odds.

Another interesting situation is say you're a loose 30/20 type opening a wide range of hands. Another 30/20 type in position against you is starting to 3bet you light with a wide range of hands like J8s and 86s. I'm really lost as to whether I should be 4bet/fold or calling OOP. These types also tend to cbet quite frequently which probably makes CRing/check-calling a likely line against them. (Do you ever lead into them in these types of situations? If so, against who and why?) Here's a recommendation from BLd:

[ QUOTE ]
If they are reraising you with j8s and 86s in position a good amount of the time then you should be reraising them a fair amount with trash or hands you would fold if he went all in over the top of you for a 5 bet.
But depending on the effective stack sizes, this play can have more or less strength.

Ex. You raise with JTs to $7 and you get reraised to $24 and you both have effective stacks of $200. You don't want to make your raise to big to pot commit yourself all in but not to small because you want him to fold.
So you probably want to make a reraise to a total of $60 here. If you make it $80 if he goes all in for $200 you would probably have to nearly call against his all in range. Making it $60 you can get it away from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A TAG HSNLer told me to call with KQ/AQ/suited broadway/4bet AK and some other top hands/sometimes 4bet JJ-QQ.

Now I'm assuming that they come to these conclusions since I can either take the pot down right there with a 4bet or start playing pots against them even OOP since my hand has some value against their likely 3betting range.

In general, why do we do what we do preflop and what are things I should be considering? Implied odds? Value of hand against villain(s)' likely range? Postflop edge?

Also, if anyone would like to talk about poker outside of 2p2 on AIM, post or send PM? I'd be interested in connecting with other 2p2ers to talk about theory, experimenting with lines, and share hands.