PDA

View Full Version : Depression Meds (cost and insurance coverage and advice?)

brokeandstuck
02-08-2006, 02:53 AM
Im sick of being sad all the time; really am, Im not gonna post some big long pussy rant thing, Im 95% sure that I suffer from depression, normal people dont feel like this. I base my happiness on things I cannot control. I often dont feel like getting up in the morning; I dont feel sociable or like I fit in almost ever; theyre all so happy to be alive, I dont get it. Im bitter alot, I dont work hard in the classroom anymore, I dont work hard on anything to be honest.

Im 21 and still under my parents insurance. I don't feel like getting them involved, and if that is necessary I probably will instead do nothing.

So basically the question is: How do I get these medications without it showing up on my parents insurance, and without paying big dollars for it? I have a feeling the answer is: you dont, but its worth a shot.

PS - If it matters, I can go to mexico and get prescription drugs if that is an option.

The Young Gun
02-08-2006, 03:33 AM
Call a hotline before going on meds. The less crutches the better.

brokeandstuck
02-08-2006, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Call a hotline before going on meds. The less crutches the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to a shrink about 12 times, forgot to mention that. It didnt really help much.

chesspain
02-08-2006, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So basically the question is: How do I get these medications without it showing up on my parents insurance, and without paying big dollars for it? I have a feeling the answer is: you dont, but its worth a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have HMO insurance, you just go to the pharmacy, pick up your presciption, and pay your copayment. There usually is no EOB ("Explanation of Benefits") sent to the subscriber. However, EOBs are more likely to be sent out for visits to a doctor--and you said that you have already seen a therapist/"shrink" twelve times? Then I would assume that your parents already know...or was this treatment in the past?

Regardless, wanting to keep your depression from your parents is a silly reason to avoid getting help, since I doubt it will be a huge surprise to them. In addition, you don't need to get them "involved." If they learn that you are receiving help and they begin asking questions, just acknowledge that you are going for help but add that you would prefer to keep your symptoms/problems/treatment private for the time being.

FCBLComish
02-08-2006, 09:42 AM
See a medical doctor and get on some meds. I have found a combination of Prozac and Buspar has worked well for me.

toots
02-08-2006, 02:18 PM
I take Prozac. I don't want it on my insurance.

So, I pay for the psychiatrist out of pocket (about $75 every four months, after a rather steep initial visit), and I pay for my meds out of pocket (about $15/month for generic, 30 mg/day at Costco). I have simply never given either the psychiatrist nor the pharmacy my insurance information or used an insurance card.

The people involved (psychiatrist, pharmacy) cannot release information to your insurance company without a signed release from you. Unfortunately, just about any release you sign for either qualifies, which is why I simply tell them "I have no insurance." Since I am submitting no claims to my insurance, and since I've signed no releases with the providers, the insurance doesn't get the information.

I might also add that this is your special way of helping the whole medical problem in the US. Since it comes out of your pocket, suddenly you're more interested in comparison shopping.

I personally have found a factor of 10 (yes, ten times) between the price for generics at the local name brand pharmacy and the same meds at Costco, with the local supermarket occupying the space roughly halfway between what Costco charges and what the name brand pharmacy charges.

brokeandstuck
02-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks, this has been helpful. I did a little searching online and found the generic fluoxetine for about 50 cents a pill for 20 mg.

Is ordering these online without a prescription legal? safe? legit? I dont have the extra income to see a psychiatrist if the parents arent paying for it.

I was thinking about buying a couple months worth, popping 1/day and seeing if I could notice a difference.

Basically, I would have done this already if I werent nervous about buying a) a placebo, b) rat poison, or c) getting ripped off and arrested

toots
02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Personally, I don't trust ordering online, although my psychiatrist gives me that option.

As for prozac in specific: It has an incredibly long ramp-up time and a fairly long halflife.

If you start taking it, I'd give it a minimum of a MONTH before making any judgment as to whether it's working.

I s'pose as with any online vendor, if you do your research, and ask around, you might find some vendors that are generally regarded to be trustworthy, but I don't have any advice for you there.

Nickelcity
02-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Please don't order these without a prescription. You mentioned you have been seeing a shrink, ask him/her about prescribing you an anti-depressant.

fnord_too
02-08-2006, 05:55 PM
I would talk to a psychiatrist and follow their advice. (Psychiatrists are MD's, psychologists are not. Psychiatrists are much more aware of brain chemistry and drugs, etc.) I would want a proffessional oppinion before I went on or off meds.

Here is a very comon story from people who take anti-depresants: They start to feel better because the drugs are working, then think they don't need them any more and stop taking them. It is not as silly as it sounds, since when you are not depressed things will seem to be going better and one may start to think that now that things are going better I won't be depressed if I am not on medication.

I really would not worry about getting your parents involved or not. Depression is often due to chemical imbalances, and it is conceptually no different that being diabetic or having allergies. It's just a physical reality that we now know how to address.

RyanC
02-08-2006, 07:17 PM
HIPPA states that no one other than you and your healthcare provider(s) will have access to your medical records. Your parents will have no knowledge of what you take. Do not order drugs online from foreign countries, there are a lot of counterfeit drugs out there.

zerosum
02-08-2006, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Depression is often due to chemical imbalances, and it is conceptually no different that being diabetic or having allergies. It's just a physical reality that we now know how to address.

[/ QUOTE ]

This quote deserves to be a sticky in this forum. I'm quite serious.

zerosum
02-08-2006, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont work hard in the classroom anymore,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are a college student. Find out if your school offers any health care services to the student population. Many schools deduct student service fees that help cover the cost of running the facilities, and students can receive help for little or no cost.

brokeandstuck
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Hah, seems like theres always problems... My provider is Tricare through the military, Im listed under my parents. This means any and all correspondance will go to their permanent address.

If this wasnt enough, my father is a doctor and can get access to my medical record any time he wants.

I really am not going to tell them about this, I cant explain it, but its not something I wanna do. So basically Im pretty much screwed.

Oh yea, you can buy student health coverage, but its at the beginning of the semester, and it doesnt include prescription drug benefits

Unabridged
02-08-2006, 09:13 PM
just get some weed

bkholdem
02-08-2006, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just get some weed

[/ QUOTE ]

Anti depressants are A LOT cheaper.

zerosum
02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really am not going to tell them about this, I cant explain it, but its not something I wanna do. So basically Im pretty much screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the link and number below to try to find a low cost clinic in your area. They do exist. There are physicians who actually donate their time to such clinics. My wife is one of them.

Don't let the name of the organization below put you off. It could be a good resource for you.

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

1-800-273-TALK

bolgenmod
02-09-2006, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, this has been helpful. I did a little searching online and found the generic fluoxetine for about 50 cents a pill for 20 mg.

Is ordering these online without a prescription legal? safe? legit? I dont have the extra income to see a psychiatrist if the parents arent paying for it.

I was thinking about buying a couple months worth, popping 1/day and seeing if I could notice a difference.

Basically, I would have done this already if I werent nervous about buying a) a placebo, b) rat poison, or c) getting ripped off and arrested

[/ QUOTE ]

DON'T just start self-medicating. The first thing you need is a full medical check-up: depression is a physical illness, yes, but there are other physical problems that could be involved and/or producing symptoms similar to depression. If you are a male college student (even a doctor's son), I would guess that you haven't had a full physical in a long time. (I know men in their thirties and forties who have NEVER had a full physical since they were children.) (And full physical means blood tests and often other tests as well.)

The suggestion to find a low-cost clinic that you can afford is a good one.

Psychiatric drugs like Prozac alter the brain chemistry -- that's why you have to have a prescription. This is serious stuff, not to be fooled with.

I don't want to sound like I'm scolding you, but I really think you need to talk to a doctor, get a physical, and a prescription. For your own sake. Please.

popniklas
02-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Talk to a MD, preferably a psychiatrist. DO NOT USE ANTI-DEPRESSANTS WITHOUT CONSULTING A DOCTOR.

DistantHaze
02-10-2006, 11:47 AM
My good man, although not a therapist of any kind, I have three points of suggestion for you:

1) Realize that things beyond your control are a consequence of Life, and should not be the basis for your happiness. Everyone goes through rough times. Understand that tomorrow is a new day.

2) Consider telling your parents how you feel. Sneaking around behind their backs sounds like more turmoil than you need. Perhaps as a group you can come up with a solution.

3) Antidepressants are a very dangerous lot. I suffered with depression for many years, and have taken nearly every variety made. The side effects are staggering, yet the pills themselves cure nothing. Sunlight, fresh air, little or no television, and a geniune effort to improve myself worked wonders for me, and may be beneficial to you as well. If you are considering meds for a temporary aid, however, you should look into Omega 3s, a natural supplement; or a product called FeelSerenityNow, an herbal compound with no known side effects, and which can be pruchased online without a prescription.

Good luck to you!