PDA

View Full Version : prepaid visas work on stars?

EaglesPwn
01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
anyone use these?

Sorry didnt know where else to post this.

Slow Play Ray
01-23-2007, 04:58 PM
there's a thread in the zoo that says they work like a charm.

EaglesPwn
01-23-2007, 04:59 PM
you have a link...I dont post a lot so Im clueless. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oberonn
01-24-2007, 01:39 AM
From what I have read here, and on other sites, it appears some work and some do not. I suggest buying a small denomination card to test it and if it works then buy more very fast before they stop working.

Oberonn
01-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Just went to Walgreens. They had like fifty of each denomination $100, $50, $25. I bought three of the $100 Gift2Go cards and just finished using them to deposit to Stars. Worked perfectly.

They say on the package in bottom left corner IDT and on the back the fine print says Marshall Bank N.A.

The trick is to get a brand that is accepted outside of the US. It says on the back of the package "Card can be used wherever Visa debit cards are accepted at millions of locations worldwide, including online".

Good luck!

bkynmike
01-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Has anyone tried these for full tilt ?

A_Junglen
01-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Ahhh prepaid visas.

Nostalgia ensues

Exitonly
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ahhh prepaid visas.

Nostalgia ensues

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. i didnt recognize 'notstalgia ensues' as english; so i just kept trying to pronounce it in my head in spanish. fwiw, it sounds way cooler in spanish.

loosemmjan
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just went to Walgreens. They had like fifty of each denomination $100, $50, $25. I bought three of the $100 Gift2Go cards and just finished using them to deposit to Stars. Worked perfectly.

They say on the package in bottom left corner IDT and on the back the fine print says Marshall Bank N.A.

The trick is to get a brand that is accepted outside of the US. It says on the back of the package "Card can be used wherever Visa debit cards are accepted at millions of locations worldwide, including online".

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, This works just as described.

Thanks for the info.

~loose

Vyse
01-27-2007, 02:10 PM
How are you depositing? I bought a $100 Gift2Go Visa gift card, and I type in the card number from the receipt and it doesn't work. Open Stars > go to cashier > try to deposit as Visa credit card > type in credit card number and expiration date w/ no CVN = nothing. Any help?

chitwood
01-27-2007, 04:33 PM
It's not teh number from the receipt, it's the actual card itself. Also, it has a CVN number. The card is inside the piece of cardboard you bought.

LovinPoke
01-27-2007, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not teh number from the receipt, it's the actual card itself. Also, it has a CVN number. The card is inside the piece of cardboard you bought.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

chitwood
01-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Poke, was I wrong? that was my only guess as to what he was doing wrong.

XXXNoahXXX
01-27-2007, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poke, was I wrong? that was my only guess as to what he was doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be right because there was a 3-digit CVN # on mine.

Oberonn
01-27-2007, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How are you depositing? I bought a $100 Gift2Go Visa gift card, and I type in the card number from the receipt and it doesn't work. Open Stars > go to cashier > try to deposit as Visa credit card > type in credit card number and expiration date w/ no CVN = nothing. Any help?

[/ QUOTE ]
The CVN is the three digit number on the back of the card on the right end of the signature line. It is required.

scottc25
01-28-2007, 04:22 PM
I made a Walgreens run last night and it worked good n Stars for me.

When you look at your receipt is shows what looks like a credit card # (16 digits, xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx) but is not even close to what the actual number is. Maybe that's what he was doing.

MFpoker
01-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Favorite Topic! (toggle)

-edit-

I wonder if you can endorse a poker check to walgreens to pay for pre-paid visa cards. tehe

TripleNet
01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
They work like a charm on Full Tilt as well. Don't like paying the 6% vig though. Word must be getting around because I had to go to 4 differant Walgreens to find the 100 dollar denomination cards

MFpoker
01-28-2007, 09:31 PM
can you recharge the cards?

01-28-2007, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't like paying the 6% vig though.

[/ QUOTE ]

AYFS? 6% vig kinda stings.

I assume the transacation is all instant though, right? (i.e., if I swung by a Walgreens, I could have money in my Stars/FTP account as soon as I got home?).

SimonBarSinister
01-28-2007, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't like paying the 6% vig though.

[/ QUOTE ]

AYFS? 6% vig kinda stings.

I assume the transacation is all instant though, right? (i.e., if I swung by a Walgreens, I could have money in my Stars/FTP account as soon as I got home?).

[/ QUOTE ]

correct

Hotrod0823
01-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Found a cheap online visa gift card that works nicely without the trip.

Took some time and "activation" but was only 2 bucks for 100.

A_Junglen
01-28-2007, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Def post that in the internet gambling forum

SimonBarSinister
01-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Also not sure what store in your locations are, but in Philly area the "All Acess Visa" are sold in the Acme Supermarkets, they have $250 dollar denominations and seem to be more readily available, as word about Walgreens seemed to get out and I could not find any gift2go cards around. Still have to pay the 5.95 fee but wudda gonna do.

01-28-2007, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More info please? Please post a link if you can.

Thanks!

Hotrod0823
01-28-2007, 11:01 PM
giftcards.com

I sent myself a gift. It was a 100.00 virtual gift card Visa for 102.00.

Sent it to my own email and had to "Redeem it".

Set up an account and activated the card.

Took awhile for my card to be activated but not sure if it is because it was the first time I did it of if it is common place.

I read in the FAQ that there are "fees" for international transactions but haven't seen that yet.

I left some cash on the card to see how the "fees" play out.

But they cap the purchase at 500.00 and its still 2.00 to buy.

On the stars end it was instant.

rabbitlover
01-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Do the $100 Walgreens cards have a $6 fee?

That is a VERY steep price to be funding a poker account.

gettym
01-28-2007, 11:39 PM
what to you do if you want to deposit >1k, what do you guys think is the best method for US players?

01-29-2007, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
giftcards.com

I sent myself a gift. It was a 100.00 virtual gift card Visa for 102.00.

Sent it to my own email and had to "Redeem it".

Set up an account and activated the card.

Took awhile for my card to be activated but not sure if it is because it was the first time I did it of if it is common place.

I read in the FAQ that there are "fees" for international transactions but haven't seen that yet.

I left some cash on the card to see how the "fees" play out.

But they cap the purchase at 500.00 and its still 2.00 to buy.

On the stars end it was instant.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little confused. So you didn't have to wait until you physically received the card in the mail in order to use it for your Stars deposit?? Sounds like you were able to just activate it via e-mail and type in all the information.

And just to be clear, there is a flat $2 fee on all amounts up to $500? And $500 is the max card you can get at once or at all?

Thanks again.

edit: Also, how long was "long" when you say it took long to activate.

2nd edit: Went to gifts.com and it seems like there is only a $7 shipping charge for the $500 gift card. I didn't see any mention of the $2 vig. Am I missing something?

Hotrod0823
01-29-2007, 12:37 AM
The VirtualGift Card is 2 bucks "shipping" for any amount 25-500 and yes it is all via email.

It took few hours to activate.

01-29-2007, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The VirtualGift Card is 2 bucks "shipping" for any amount 25-500 and yes it is all via email.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhhhhh. Didn't click on the right card.

vtile
01-29-2007, 10:12 AM
VirtualGift Card worked for me. Thanks hotrod.

Mi_T_Sharp
01-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the info, hotrod. I am going to try this out. Time to unbusto myself on Stars. Then, hopefully robusto. Either that, or become a VIP member of this giftcard website...we'll see.

Edit: Apparently, I am not very bright, and I can't find a link on that site for a VISA. I only see gift cards for specific stores. I clicked on e-gift cards, and then I don't see VISA. Am I that dumb, or am I doing something wrong?

Edit2: OK, I am just stupid. I went to giftcard.com instead of giftcards.com

swityak11
01-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Virtual gift card worked great. Thanks for the info.

01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Any word on how many of these one can buy/pump into Stars?

TripleNet
01-29-2007, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From the PStars end the max is:

$600/24 hours
$1,500/7 days
$2,000/30 days

You might be able to get those limits raised if you email support and ask.

01-29-2007, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From the PStars end the max is:

$600/24 hours
$1,500/7 days
$2,000/30 days

You might be able to get those limits raised if you email support and ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those are definitely easy to get raised. I guess I was more concerned with how many $500 cards I can buy. If it's unlimited at $2/pop, then you sir have just struck gold.

And PS-- why were we not using this instead of instacashes from Neteller??

pokerraja
01-29-2007, 05:25 PM
instacashes are free because most sites will waive the fee.

BadgerPro
01-29-2007, 05:51 PM
FWIW, I can still use my Visa Debit Card to deposit onto Stars. This may be dependent on your bank though. There are no fees for this.

01-29-2007, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I can still use my Visa Debit Card to deposit onto Stars. This may be dependent on your bank though. There are no fees for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhhhhh, you really mighta just made my day if this is true. If I get home and I am able to use my Visa debit to deposit, I will be sending you a chocolate chip cookie in the mail. Glass of milk to follow shortly.

Body Man D
01-29-2007, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

01-29-2007, 06:06 PM
No cookie or milk for you. I just got declined. It must be blocked by my damn bank (Bank of America).

/images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

01-29-2007, 06:10 PM
And now my debit card is frozen /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Mi_T_Sharp
01-29-2007, 06:21 PM
I sent myself a virtual gift card 3 hours ago, but still haven't received it. I got a confirmation email, but not the actual card yet. Other than that, it works great. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

pokerraja
01-29-2007, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? i tried last night to use my debit card and got declined. how do you know your debit card is frozen? i have not tried to use it since, but i hope its not.

01-29-2007, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? i tried last night to use my debit card and got declined. how do you know your debit card is frozen? i have not tried to use it since, but i hope its not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got an e-mail from BoA telling me I needed to verify recent activity on my card in order to unfreeze. What bank do you have?

cking
01-29-2007, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Got an e-mail from BoA telling me I needed to verify recent activity on my card in order to unfreeze. What bank do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah dont ever do that with BoA, it's easy to get it back up but as being one of the biggest banks, they have obv the tougher regs

Mr. 3173
01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Ordered mine 5 hrs ago and still no card.

Mi_T_Sharp
01-29-2007, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ordered mine 5 hrs ago and still no card.

[/ QUOTE ]

swityak11
01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Have you received the notification email that prompts you to create an account yet?

I ordered my card sent to my Yahoo email adress. Received a notification email shortly after that a gift card had been received and that I needed to create an account. Created account and received a verification email which I then accepted. When you login to the website you fill out the processing form which took an hour or so to be verified. After that, the card shows up in your account on the website. Use that card on PokerStars.

I didn't received an email with the actual card info though.

pokerraja
01-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Kramer,
TCF bank.

Mr. 3173
01-29-2007, 08:04 PM
I only got the receipt email saying I bouth a card for myself.

Mr. 3173
01-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Any word?

swityak11
01-29-2007, 11:43 PM
I don't know what to tell you. Did you have it sent to the correct email address? Try emailing their helpdesk I guess.

This is the email i received on my recipient address shortly after I ordered it...

Dear swityak11,

I have just purchased a GiftCards.com™ VirtualGift™ Account for you. To get started all you have to do is click here to view your eGreeting Card and activate your VirtualGift Account, it's that easy. Once activated, your GiftCards.com™ VirtualGift Account can be used at any online store, mail order, or phone catalog that accepts Visa® Debit Gift Cards.

You may also copy and paste this address into your browser:
http://www.giftcards.com/egreetings/........

Confirmation Code: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If you have any questions related to the GiftCards.com™ eGreeting Gift Notice, please e-mail help@giftcards.com.

I hope you enjoy your GiftCards.com™ VirtualGift Account!

BadgerPro
01-29-2007, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a smaller hometown bank but my account also got frozen after my first larger deposit onto Stars. After I called and cleared it with them that I was the one making the transactions they unlocked my account and said I would have no further problems when making transactions to Stars.

Mr. 3173
01-29-2007, 11:58 PM
All I recieved was an invoice saying that they hope I enjoy my gift cards that I never recieved to my same email address. I checked their website and it says the transaction is under review, but they charged my card already?

CharlieDontSurf
01-30-2007, 12:02 AM
make sure its not going to your spam folder etc

Mi_T_Sharp
01-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Just as a follow-up:

I FINALLY got my virtual giftcard (It took 2 days for the email to arrive). It came to my junk folder which was no surprise. Anyway, I just activated it, so we'll see how long that takes. So far, it's been 2 days since I started this, but at least it appears to be working now. I am not sure why it took them so long to send me the virtual card.

Hopefully, it won't take them that long to send me the activation email. But, we'll see...

RichC.
01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just as a follow-up:

I FINALLY got my virtual giftcard (It took 2 days for the email to arrive). It came to my junk folder which was no surprise. Anyway, I just activated it, so we'll see how long that takes. So far, it's been 2 days since I started this, but at least it appears to be working now. I am not sure why it took them so long to send me the virtual card.

Hopefully, it won't take them that long to send me the activation email. But, we'll see...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been about two days for me too. I got on their live chat and complained a bit, several times actually, but we'll see i guess. Now I have to wait on Mansion to send me my money as well. No poker for me for a few days it looks like.

Mi_T_Sharp
01-31-2007, 04:22 PM
First of all, I purchased the card from a gmail account, and had the gift sent to a hotmail account. Anyway, they sent me an email yesterday to my gmail account saying that the gift card had not been activated yet, although it was sent. I told them that the receiver didn't get the card in his (my) email, but never heard back. Anyway, after finding the card in hotmail, I noticed that they responded to my message in gmail saying that they resent the card, and that they sometimes have problems with hotmail addresses (um, ok). So, maybe you should send them an email from the account you purchased it with and tell them the receiver didn't get the card yet.

PS - Wow. I just reread what I wrote and would understand if no one has a clue what I am talking about.

LovinPoke
01-31-2007, 04:24 PM
lol

bkynmike
01-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Has anyone tried the virtual giftcard for Full tilt ? Did it work ?

Thanks

Mi_T_Sharp
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone tried the virtual giftcard for Full tilt ? Did it work ?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

From what people have said, once you actually get the virtual gift card activated, it should work easily on FT or Stars.

Some people have gone through the whole thing with no problems, but a few of us have had a little trouble getting to the point where we have an activated card and are ready to deposit.

Oatmeal
01-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Now if only this place accepted Neteller. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

gdsdiscgolfer
01-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Anyone know if you can withdraw onto the virtual card?

RichC.
01-31-2007, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I purchased the card from a gmail account, and had the gift sent to a hotmail account. Anyway, they sent me an email yesterday to my gmail account saying that the gift card had not been activated yet, although it was sent. I told them that the receiver didn't get the card in his (my) email, but never heard back. Anyway, after finding the card in hotmail, I noticed that they responded to my message in gmail saying that they resent the card, and that they sometimes have problems with hotmail addresses (um, ok). So, maybe you should send them an email from the account you purchased it with and tell them the receiver didn't get the card yet.

PS - Wow. I just reread what I wrote and would understand if no one has a clue what I am talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I received one email from them, but the activation code link for my account didnt work. Maybe I need to set a gmail account. When I get home from work I'll check it out, again.

Mi_T_Sharp
01-31-2007, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I received one email from them, but the activation code link for my account didnt work. Maybe I need to set a gmail account. When I get home from work I'll check it out, again.

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't work for me either at first...

MAKE SURE YOU USE INTERNET EXPLORER TO OPEN THE ACTIVATION LINK!!!!

It doesn't work in Firefox. And, yes, before you activate the card, you have to setup an account.

This whole process is waaaaaaay more problematic then it should be. This is internet commerce at its finest.

EDIT: I just received the following email from giftcards.com...

"Your VirtualGift Has Been Processed"

SHIP IT!!!

I guess that was the easy part, because my next mission is to turn this 200 bucks into 10K.

RichC.
01-31-2007, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't work for me either at first...

MAKE SURE YOU USE INTERNET EXPLORER TO OPEN THE ACTIVATION LINK!!!!

It doesn't work in Firefox. And, yes, before you activate the card, you have to setup an account.

This whole process is waaaaaaay more problematic then it should be. This is internet commerce at its finest.

EDIT: I just received the following email from giftcards.com...

"Your VirtualGift Has Been Processed"

SHIP IT!!!

I guess that was the easy part, because my next mission is to turn this 200 bucks into 10K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why cant they just say that in the begining!!!!!!!! I'll try that link again tonight in IE. So lame.

chitwood
01-31-2007, 06:33 PM
FYI, I used the same email address both as the purchaser and the receiver without any problems.

Vyse
01-31-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm at the gift2go.net website right now, and it's only up to $250, they send it to your home address, not e-mail. The service fees are also higher than $2 -- $4 up to $99, $5 up to $199.99, and $6 up to $250, with nothing higher. There's one for friends and family and business, though I see no difference. Am I missing something here? What's the point in buying it online and waiting a week or so for it to come through the mail?

chitwood
01-31-2007, 09:30 PM
use giftcards.com

Vyse
01-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. Waiting for verification, thanks.

tjwor
02-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Started today at 4, and got my card at 7...

I got this email
"Greetings and thank you for choosing GiftCards.com Visa Gift Cards! This is a notice to inform you that your order has been processed and should arrive by 02/05/07 [Mon]. If you have any other questions please view the FAQ section of our website at http://www.giftcards.com or you can reach us 8am-5pm EST Monday - Friday at 1-877-944-3822.

Once again, thank you for choosing GiftCards.com Visa Gift Cards!

Respectfully,

GiftCards.com
Customer Service Division
http://www.giftcards.com" (http://www.giftcards.com)

Which makes it sound like i won't have the card until monday, but i logged into my account and the card number was listed /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the help! Will use again if necessary /images/graemlins/smile.gif

huge
02-10-2007, 12:24 AM
To anyone who has successfully purchased one of these VirtualGift cards from giftcards.com:

Does it show on your Credit Card statment as a Cash Advance or a Purchase? iotw Can I buy one of these with a frequent flyer VISA? Or do I have to use a debit card to avoid getting reamed by my CC's cash advance fees?

thanks ... sorry if someone has already asked this - I did a search and couldn't find anything..

-huge

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just as a follow-up:

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been about two days for me too. I got on their live chat and complained a bit, several times actually, but we'll see i guess. Now I have to wait on Mansion to send me my money as well. No poker for me for a few days it looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

chitwood
02-10-2007, 01:28 AM
huge,
I bought it with my Amex without a problem. It showed up as a purchase, not a cash advance.