PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Universe !

fifield
02-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm not an expert, nor knowledgeable, by any stretch, on "the theory of everything" or theories of the universe. I've not read any books, nor really heard much mentioned about these scientific discoveries(?)/philosophies except for the program airing on THE SCIENCE CHANNEL right now (and again @ 1 am ET) "Parallel Universe". I've seen it now between five and ten times and each time I find another bit that, figuratively, BLOWS MY MIND. I find these theories INCREDIBLY intriguing... (ie STRING THEORY, the SINGULARITY, MULTIPLE/PARALLEL UNIVERSES, 11-D MODEL OF OUR UNIVERSE, and a few others I can't remember, and, therefore, likely don't find as piquing)

fifield
02-07-2006, 11:15 PM
What I want to know is:

*what do any of you more versed in these theories think of them?
*what resources (books, journals, theses, etc.) are the best places to start exploring these theories in greater depth?
*based on this show, does that add any cred to the sceptically received "What the *!@@p do we Know?"
*and any other topical info....thanks

fifield
02-07-2006, 11:17 PM
IS ANYONE ELSE WATCHING THIS RIGHT NOW?
...just curious, but very worthwhile, IMO...

Matt R.
02-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi,
If you really want to understand these theories, I hope you're really gifted at math. And even then, be prepared to spend a lot of time building up to BEGIN studying these theories (unless you have an extensive physics and math background).

A great book to start is The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. No math involved, but good explanations. Journal articles would require a LOT of knowledge in the subject to even begin to understand. Do you have any foundations in quantum mechanics and relativity? Because those would be the places to start for a "real" understanding.

What the bleep do we know sucked. It was a bunch of philosophical mumbo jumbo. It had no meat to it. The stuff it was talking about was "correct" I guess, but it didn't say anything about it. The things you were watching probably had a lot more concrete material presented.

I essentially know nothing about the theories myself (aside from a general understanding). I have my theories, but I can't back them up with any math, so they're pretty worthless at this point /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

You should also check out fabric of the cosmos (by greene again). Haven't read it yet but I hear it's very good as well. Brief History of Time is always a good (older) choice as well.

Matt R.
02-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Do you know when it will be on again? I'm interested in watching it. I'm actually doing my mathematical physics HW at the moment, which is why I can't.. lol.

Please post when it will be on again, if you know. I like these types of shows.

fifield
02-07-2006, 11:27 PM
you mean apart from the reairing in 2 1/2 hrs?

Matt R.
02-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Yes, I'll probably be in bed by then.

fifield
02-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Guide says reairings: 5 am, 11 am, 3 pm ET tomorrow the 8th

fifield
02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
and this SUNDAY @ 6 pm ET.

twankerr
02-07-2006, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should also check out fabric of the cosmos (by greene again). Haven't read it yet but I hear it's very good as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read Elegant Universe before this and either Elegant Universe is so well written and exhaustive on some subjects, or Fabric of the Cosmos is way to elemntary, but it seemed very easy to read after his first book. I'm leaning towards the latter, heavily.

laurentia
02-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Evolution of science book titles:

1997. David Deutsch: The Fabric of Reality
1997.Lee Smolin: The Life of the Cosmos
2004. Brian Green: The Fabric of the Cosmos

Prodigy54321
02-08-2006, 10:05 AM
I didn't read the responses, so I don't know if anyone said this, but "Parallel Worlds" by Michio Kaku....Kaku is the ish

fifield
02-08-2006, 10:28 AM
THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATIONS