PDA

View Full Version : War on Internet Gambling to be Fought by Powerful Law Firm

1p0kerboy
01-22-2007, 09:58 AM
link (http://www.gambling911.com/internet-gambling-012207.html)

I still think these guys better hope for some sort of plea deal.

joeker
01-22-2007, 11:53 AM
I disagree. First of all, this is very good news, you don't need such a pricely hoigh-powered lawfirm to cut a deal, you hire a firm like this to fight.

It clearly states in the article that they only plea deal they would settle for would have to include no jail-time, which is unlikely with these charges.

US attornies don't bring cases to make plea deals either like on the local level which is common place.

Finally I've read some excerpts from legal experts saying that the Federal case against the Neteller founders is not very strong.

It looks like one of them intends to fight....and that is good news

[ QUOTE ]
link (http://www.gambling911.com/internet-gambling-012207.html)

I still think these guys better hope for some sort of plea deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wynton
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. First of all, this is very good news, you don't need such a pricely hoigh-powered lawfirm to cut a deal, you hire a firm like this to fight.

It clearly states in the article that they only plea deal they would settle for would have to include no jail-time, which is unlikely with these charges.

US attornies don't bring cases to make plea deals either like on the local level which is common place.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this is wrong. Virtually all federal cases result in plea deals. And the fact that someone retains a large firm has zero bearing on whether they are likely to plead.

1p0kerboy
01-22-2007, 12:06 PM
I have also heard that the Federal case is not very strong.

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, this is very good news, you don't need such a pricely hoigh-powered lawfirm to cut a deal, you hire a firm like this to fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very far from the truth.

If I'm a multi-millionaire I'm going to do WHATEVER it takes to get out of jail time. If it means shelling out money for an attourney and then shelling out money to the U.S. government then so be it.

You think these guys really care to fight the War on Internet Gambling? They have absolutely nothing to gain by doing so. They aren't even in the business anymore.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong again. There is a chance that the U.S. government was using this as an intimidation move and aren't really interested in pursuing the case any further, especially if they feel they might lose.

joeker
01-22-2007, 12:13 PM
From what I've learned from the few criminal defense attornies I know, some of which work in Federal system, is that US Attornies don't bring cases they don't intend on pursuing to the end.

Secondly a plea deal with these charges that includes no jail-time is unlikely, and they specifically said they don't want jail time.

D.L.M.
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
i think that if they can arrange no jail time for themselves theyll settle. if they cant then they fight. simple as that.

JPFisher55
01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Wouldn't a plea settlement with no jail time be a defeat for DOJ and win for online gambling?

Wynton
01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Joeker,

Sure, the prosecutors don't usually commence a case that they don't expect will result, or could result, in a conviction. But that hardly means that they will insist on a resolution by trial. Over 90% of federal criminal prosecutions do result in pleas.

And early predictions about pleas - from both sides - really are meaningless.

curious123
01-22-2007, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Finally I've read some excerpts from legal experts saying that the Federal case against the Neteller founders is not very strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link plz? (if it's Mrs. Schulman, don't bother)

joeker
01-22-2007, 12:27 PM
They do on the local level, at least in my county

[ QUOTE ]
Joeker,

Sure, the prosecutors don't usually commence a case that they don't expect will result, or could result, in a conviction.

[/ QUOTE ]

otctrader
01-22-2007, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a plea settlement with no jail time be a defeat for DOJ and win for online gambling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly; without judicial precedent the cloud of ambiguous legislation will continue, as will the DOJ running amok with its highly effective intimidation campaign.

As evidenced by all the operators folding (and stifling of potential start-ups), the DOJ doesn't need a courtroom victory to declare success.

otctrader
01-22-2007, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(if it's Mrs. Schulman, don't bother)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - she'll have a comment after she's done putting her makeup on

tiltowhirl
01-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Does anyone know if the former execs are the only one's footing the bill for the litigation or if online sites et al are throwing money at the defense as well?

I think that would be more telling on whether or not this is going to be a line in the sand.

dlk9s
01-22-2007, 03:43 PM
My brother's girlfriend's cousin's sister said...

Uglyowl
01-22-2007, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They guy who runs gambling911.com was on Canadian radio and mentioned this. Not sure how much weight his sources have.

The audio is on their website; this was not really discuss, just he said "the case against Neteller is weak, especially 2 of the 3 charges" IIRC

curious123
01-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Thx owl.

Sniper
01-22-2007, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They guy who runs gambling911.com was on Canadian radio and mentioned this. Not sure how much weight his sources have.

The audio is on their website; this was not really discuss, just he said "the case against Neteller is weak, especially 2 of the 3 charges" IIRC

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that he said "the case against Neteller is weak"... and since, there is no case against NETELLER (at the moment)... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ekdikeo
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I'd think a result would have a huge bearing on their future finances, considering they are giant stockholders in NT still.

Uglyowl
01-22-2007, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that he said "the case against Neteller is weak"... and since, there is no case against NETELLER (at the moment)... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he misspoke, but I certainly did /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for clarifying /images/graemlins/smile.gif

He talked at length about the founders and am sure he didn't make the same error I just did.

Botchman
01-22-2007, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I'm a multi-millionaire I'm going to do WHATEVER it takes to get out of jail time. If it means shelling out money for an attourney and then shelling out money to the U.S. government then so be it.

You think these guys really care to fight the War on Internet Gambling? They have absolutely nothing to gain by doing so. They aren't even in the business anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
They still have alot of NT stocks and if they were to win the case might result in NT coming back into the US market which would proboly mean millions of $$$$'s to them. PLus one of them is a former hippie and I believe he might want to fight the goverment on this one. Who really knows, anything could happen.

1p0kerboy
01-22-2007, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PLus one of them is a former hippie and I believe he might want to fight the goverment on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

Botchman
01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL you really think that ths case isn't against Neteller just its founders??? Even though the company itself wasn't charged this case is diffently aimed right at Neteller, and for the time being the DOJ got exactly what it wanted, for Neteller to withdraw from the US market.If you want to get technical you can, the case isn't against Neteller it's against the founders of Neteller for operating Neteller, hardly a difference.

kidpokeher
01-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Sweet. It's about time this whole gambling thing got settled the way everything else does in this country. Ridiculously overpriced lawyers.

oober
01-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Any type of plea I think would be bad for the industry. An admission of guilt would open the door for more prosecution of others. IMO....

Fight Fight Fight.....

Hock_
01-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't know this Neiman guy; he's new. But there aren't many better firms anywhere. Absolutely top notch lawyers and super-connected in Washington. Very interesting.

I'll do some poking around . . .

Sniper
01-22-2007, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL you really think that ths case isn't against Neteller just its founders??? Even though the company itself wasn't charged this case is diffently aimed right at Neteller, and for the time being the DOJ got exactly what it wanted, for Neteller to withdraw from the US market.If you want to get technical you can, the case isn't against Neteller it's against the founders of Neteller for operating Neteller, hardly a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Botch... there is a difference between going after 2 guys that founded a company but are not involved in that running of that company anymore... and going after a UK Licensed corp.

They may however have still been involved with the 3rd Party processors... which at the momnet, is the problem for us.