PDA

View Full Version : States rights

jimpi
01-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Perhaps this has been covered in other posts, if so please give me a link. I live in California where poker is legal. Is there any hope of individual states retaining the rights of their residents to play online poker and be exempt from federal laws about money transfers? If so how would it be done?

Guthrie
01-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Of course not, we lost that war in 1865.

BluffTHIS!
01-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Use the search function or an advanced search with google on this site for this topic as it has been discussed at length. The simple answer though is that states can license online poker inside their borders as long as they block people from outside that state.

jaminbird
01-20-2007, 06:30 PM
commerce clause of the constitution allows the feds to regulate interstate commerce. Since online gambling is interstate in nature thats why they can regulate it. On the other hand, if California wanted to they could create calipoker.com for example and as long as only people in cali were able to access it i am pretty sure the feds wouldn't be able to do [censored].

permafrost
01-20-2007, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in California where poker is legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you can play online poker at a California approved and licensed site? If so, would you share the name?

Colonel Kataffy
01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
It would be nice if this was a state vs federal issue. Unfortunatley there aren't any states that want to protect poker.