PDA

View Full Version : Aba20 comment

punter11235
01-12-2007, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a simple math game; most people don't realize that though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I dont get math nearly as well as aba20 though...

Comments on this quotation ?

BluffTHIS!
01-13-2007, 03:16 AM
I respect aba but that quote is either a ridiculous oversimplification (as to the simplicity of the math involved overall), or it's a attempt at being cute if he wasn't serious.

But as for simple math, I asked him and others in this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=8745149&page=0&vc=1) in an NVG plo thread about how big the effective stacks would have to be to consider folding bottom set on that board in a headsup game, and neither aba or others responded. Surely if the math is so simple . . .

aba20
01-16-2007, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I respect aba but that quote is either a ridiculous oversimplification (as to the simplicity of the math involved overall), or it's a attempt at being cute if he wasn't serious.

But as for simple math, I asked him and others in this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=8745149&page=0&vc=1) in an NVG plo thread about how big the effective stacks would have to be to consider folding bottom set on that board in a headsup game, and neither aba or others responded. Surely if the math is so simple . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluff,

I didn't answer because the question was meaningless. If you had infinite stacks, or even very very deep, you would obvously just call against david and call any river pot bet (assuming the straightdraws missed) as he is just as likey to bluff a busted straight draw as to valuebet top set.

Now I don't want to get into a forum war with you, because you do that with everyone else, but stinger and I are much more qualified to comment on davids play than you are since we have both played thousands of hands with him compared with your 0 hands.

BluffTHIS!
01-16-2007, 05:59 AM
aba,

I'm not going to get in a war with you or stinger, because I respect you guys, and only do so with those I don't respect for the most part. And you are correct that in general you are much more qualified to judge DB's play from your experience which I don't have. You are also of course correct in saying that if you suspected you could be beat, but not necessarily were and had deeper stacks, the better play than raising or pushing the hand would be to c/c so as to induce bluffs or bets by worse hands.

However, it also seems as if you think that in HU plo play, math and range analysis doesn't count that strong for the given effective stacks, and that you are always destined to go broke with bottom set when having no defensive draws.

For most plo players, getting oversetted on the turn is one of the most revolting things to happen, almost on par with someone making quads or a straight flush on you when having the nut full. But it does happen. As does being oversetted to begin with in a HU pot, which could have been the case here.

So I am just saying that even though there are some worse hands in DB's range like the aforementioned AQJT that would play that way, the sum of the equities of DB's range in that spot wouldn't make it an attractive play to me to call allin there with those stacks and bottom set, or even take a more passive line with even deeper stacks and smoothcall. And if you do fold some bottom sets with no defensive draws in spots like that, I don't think you would be getting run over in the long term by doing so. This is *especially* the case if your opponent is too aggressive in betting in general with too weak of hands, as you can find better spots.

restrikt
01-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Aba, in the article, you mentioned there was 1 weak spot at your HSP table. Was it Negreanu? =P