PDA

View Full Version : 5NL 6-Max:Raise AJo preflop, completely lost afterwards.

Sean Fraley
01-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Nobody at this table raises made hands. This is not an exaggeration, I mean that in the half hour to forty-five minutes I have been here, the only postflop raises I have seen were showndown to be bluffs/semi-bluffs. People will bet, but not raise. I have seen straights, flushes, sets, once even a full mother-f**king house get called down on all streets including the river. Not called down the flop and turn and then bet out or raised on the river, I mean that the villain in this hand called a river bet while holding a full house. The problem is that these same players that won't raise a straight also have been calling down with third pair, gutshot draws, and other crap. This is why his betting on this hand confused the piss out of me. It wasn't just him, it was everybody at this table. I have no idea how to handle theses kinds of tables, and I have no idea why these players are always the ones with stacks three times the size of the max buy-in while I'm hemmorageing chips out of my carotid. Please comment on all streets while I crack open my christmas bourbon.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.05
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $10.35
UTG+1: $9.80
CO: $5
Button: $15.17
SB: $5.42
Hero: $10.69

I had AJ, so I raised. 'Nuff said.

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif
2 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.35</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.

I don't like the flop, but I'm heads up and have second pair, so I bet. The raise has me confused as hell. I've been watching showdowns and taking notes, and I've seen him call down TPTK on boards scary boards. I've also seen him with a flopped straight, which he also called down. While I've not seen him with a set, I don't see why he would be more aggressive with that than a straight. On the other hand, I have seen him bluff-raise with whiffed cards and a couple of draws. Did I mention that any hand that doesn't fold to a c-bet at this table normally makes it to showdown? Anyway, I thought that the raise was a semi-bluff with a draw often enough to call.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($0.8, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $1.2</font>, Hero calls.

Turn is scary. I made a blocking bet because if he was bluffing the flop, I didn't want to have to figure out if a turn bet was a bluff or legit. I fully planned to fold to a raise, which didn't happen.
Turn: 6/images/graemlins/club.gif ($3.2, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1</font>, Button calls.

Now what?

River: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($5.2, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls.

I handled my first time with a girl better than this hand. Please help.