PDA

View Full Version : Reraised pots: What should I keep in mind.

Sean Fraley
01-10-2007, 08:54 PM
I've seen a few posts in various threads where someone makes a comment to the effect that lots of players don't play well in reraised pots, suggesting that reraised pots play differently than a simply raised pot. Could someone go into a little detail for me as to what is different about play in a reraised pot, and possibly gives some tips?

freedom18
01-10-2007, 09:46 PM
say u raise with AJ,AQ,77,KQ (4bb) UTG button raises it (12bb) how do u feel? what is your move? thats the difference =\ in short

gir
01-10-2007, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
say u raise with AJ,AQ,77,KQ

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold, contemplate a call, fold fold (unless you have reads of course).

freedom18
01-10-2007, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

now say he just cold calls your raise (aka just a raised pot) whats your standard flop move /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sean Fraley
01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call with 77 if set odds were present.

Are the differences entirely preflop? Are there things that it changes in postflop play?

Tiki
01-10-2007, 10:16 PM
A question to CTS when he was in the well.

[ QUOTE ]
Qu. Can u go into further detail on how the regulars play bad in reraised pots, i'd be interested to see if im making the same mistakes they are.

Well the first mistake I would say is betting too much. In a limped or raised pot, it frequently takes pot/pot/pot to get all of your money in so you are going to be doing this with most of your hands. In a reraised pot, the pot size gets out of control so quickly that it is easy to get money in with your good hands. You should also be worried less about pricing draws in reraised pots. If the BTN opens and I reraise him from the SB with AK/QQ/76s/22 and the flop comes K85 with a flush draw, I'm probably going to bet (if at all) between 1/2 and 2/3 pot with all of these hands. Lots of regulars fall into a "win every reraised pot" mode and bet way too much in reraised pots with weak holdings after reraising light, just plain spewing. In this same "win every pot" mindset, players overvalue weaker hands in reraised pots. Say for example a regular opens from the CO with 88, the 18/12 BTN reraises him and he says "ok I'll play for set value." Then the flop comes 252 and he checkraises all-in. C'mon we've all been there, we're frequently called, and it's always AA/KK. You don't have to peel one off just to "see if he has AK" every time in reraised pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaddux
01-10-2007, 10:50 PM
excellent post

AKQJ10
01-10-2007, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd call with 77 if set odds were present.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but part of set odds being present is the propensity of the reraiser to pay off. It doesn't matter if he's 200 BBL deep if he's smart enough not to lose it all to a set.

[ QUOTE ]
Are the differences entirely preflop? Are there things that it changes in postflop play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good question, and I think the post about CTS right after yours does much to answer it. I often find this happening:

Button raises, I reraise from BB with something like A8s. Button calls. Now I'm lost at sea, and betting every round UI just to avoid giving up on such a big pot.

Needless to say, that's a pretty big leak. I think widening my reraising range against a steal is probably OK, but I need to be much more careful when the resteal gets called and I miss the flop.

udbrky
01-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I think people overvalue hands a lot in re-raised pots and call weaker top pairs like AJ on a J94 board, and never think about the fact that their opponent who keeps betting might have QQ+. Or, KQ on a K42 board and lose a big pot to AK.

Spleen
01-11-2007, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think people overvalue hands a lot in re-raised pots and call weaker top pairs like AJ on a J94 board, and never think about the fact that their opponent who keeps betting might have QQ+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty. I stacked off like this just the other day, Wasnt happy with myself. ( he was a 50/20 but still shoulda waited) Excellent question OP