PDA

View Full Version : straight vs river flush?

Jeoke
01-10-2007, 02:57 PM
I HATE hands like these. They put me on tilt faily quickly, probably because I don't know how to play them...

UTG was a superfish I called PF to change up my play against him a little, def not my standard.

BB seemed TAG but only had like 25 hands on him.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $80.50
UTG+1: $25.90
CO: $26.05
Hero: $25.90
SB: $24.75
BB: $26.15

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($0.85, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $0.75</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($3.1, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $2.4</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7.5</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($25.6, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB is all-in $17.65</font>, UTG folds, Hero ???

homeslice
01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
In position I may have raised the flop.

As played, fold.

LateFlag
01-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I fold. The board pair scares me about as much as the flush draw coming in.

HoldEmNewby
01-10-2007, 03:11 PM
pf: if UTG is a super fish why didn't you isolate him.

Fold river. Not only did the ship come in for the flush, the board paired as well. You showed a lot of strength on the turn and UTG is now open pushing you on the river. Fold.

Ps&gt; I think the reason you tilt on a hand like this is you're smart enough to know when you're beaten. Yet you don't fold. I took a week and a half off from playing and lord i was ready to punch a hole in the wall yesterday. The theory and thinking is still there but the stomach to trust your instincts is something that needs to be constantly excercised.

barryc83
01-10-2007, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ps&gt; I think the reason you tilt on a hand like this is you're smart enough to know when you're beaten. Yet you don't fold. I took a week and a half off from playing and lord i was ready to punch a hole in the wall yesterday. The theory and thinking is still there but the stomach to trust your instincts is something that needs to be constantly excercised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ this completely. In your head you're like "damnit I can't believe he got there, I gotta fold" but then you hit the call button for some reason. Hell I even think sometimes when I make bad calls in spots like this that on 2p2 I would def. tell people to fold this in a thread. I'm still fighting doing dumb stuff like this, but lately I have been making these folds and it's help my win rate a lot. When people bet big like this, leading into the raiser also, they have it.

keikiwai
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
your turn bet is very weak

use a pot bet as your guide to how much to bet

in this case pot is

3.1+(2.4*3)+2.4=12.7

this makes the river much simpler and villain's mistake much larger

(even if UTG had folded before the action got to you on the turn, pot would be $10.3... but w/ 2 villains still in you really want to bring the hammer down)