PDA

View Full Version : 25 NL KQo vs reraise all in OTT

Michael Fish
01-09-2007, 06:59 PM
This is my first post to of a hand history, so feel free to slate me/images/graemlins/smile.gifI've been lurking a while and thought it was about time i should contribute with a post.

The table had been quite weak tight for a while and i felt like i was fairly able to outplay postflop hence the UTG raise. I had a good fairly good handle on the villans range from preflop actions , explained after the hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($22.85)
SB ($25.70)
BB ($29.90)
Hero ($35.90)
MP ($36.90)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($3.35) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, Button calls $3.50.

Turn: ($10.35) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $17.85</font>, Hero calls $8.35.

River: ($46.05) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $46.05

The turn looked all in looked so out of place as i figured i was good as from previous experience. I'd have expected big fast play and reraises from AA KK QQ AK, and if it was trips i thought he'd have over pushed me on the flop. Still i was hesitant about 10 10. I'm interested to get some feedback, I'm not the greatest of players and am open to comments from you more informed folks.

Cheers

silly_monkey
01-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Do you have any specific reads on button?

I think you bloated the pot too much with an oversized pre-flop raise and and slightly larger than pot sized flop and turn bets. I would have only raised to $1 preflop, and bet 2/3-3/4 pot on the flop and turn. I think the turn is an easy fold without a read. Search for the Buluga theorem for more info, but your TPGK is not good very often here. That being said because you bloated the pot so much, you are getting a pretty good price to call on the turn.

OK.. that was long and rambling. To summarize, I would try to keep the pot smaller, and I would fold the turn. This would be easier to do if you had kept the pot smaller in the first place.

Michael Fish
01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I'd seen him play mid high pocket pairs 77 - 10 10 in the same way after calling a few raises in front, also seen him push a flush draw not long after i'd sat down at the table. I'd managed to eliminate nearly everything execept jacks or tens and tens seemed unlikely due to the flat call on the flop. 88 stood a outside chance but I'd sure if he'd have had that it would have been thrown to my flop bet.

The preflop bet size, i guess i was trying to over comensate for a lack of position.

The pot size bet on the turn looking back certainly should have been a lot smaller. I had a pretty good handle on the guy but I really should have risked a lot less.

Cheers

silly_monkey
01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The preflop bet size, i guess i was trying to over comensate for a lack of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're lack of position would call for a smaller bet rather than a larger one. If I have to play a pot out of position I want it to be a small one, not a big one. As far as I'm concerned the same logic applies to the flop and turn bets as well. By the time he shoves, you've made the pot bigger than it has to be and that makes folding much harder to do.

Racketeer
01-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I would check the turn to try to control the pot size. Your turn bet made it difficult to lay your hand down since there was so much money in there. If this guy is weak tight there is no way I'm playing a big pot, oop, with top pair. He probably would have laid down hands that you would be beating to your flop bet.

Michael Fish
01-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I did feel rather in control of this hand untill the turn based on my reads. I did feel that the bets were certainly good value and that i was ahead was more than likely ahead than not.

One thing i had noticed was generaly took PPs on with one over on the flop a bit to far, which gave me a lot more confidence to call the turn all in. In anycase i feel we both played the hand less than optimaly.

My bet sizing should have been smaller, it would have been a lot easier to get away from, but in this case i'm not really sure what scare card i'd be wanting to escape from as the action seemed pretty much to unrelated to the board barring pocket tens.

I was sure he was going to push it all in sooner or later, and i was quite happy to accept that knowing i was more than likely ahead hand.

I'd certainly be folding to reraise on the turn TPGK/TK against an unknown and all your advice on bet sizing is really helpful as I've just been looking back on my hand histories and I've been losing more than i should have in these situations as I'm able to fold but losing far to much equity in doing so. Thanks for the advice i'll definatly have to keep an eye on that in the future, and it's going to save me a bundle! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Cheers Chaps