PDA

View Full Version : NL25: Two pair meets stiff resistance

LordTacohead
01-09-2007, 04:10 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($41.20)
CO ($26.05)
Button ($11.60)
SB ($28.85)
Hero ($33.35)
UTG ($12.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $3</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($7) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $3.5</font>, Hero calls $3.50.

River: ($14) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $9.25</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $23.25

I played this kind of weakly, but since a higher two pair was such an obvious possibility I thought I'd try to get to showdown on the cheap. On the river my hand is junk -- but if a blank had fallen, I think I'd call the big bet and hope I was up against QJ+. Any thoughts?

AceLuby
01-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I either 3-bet the flop or c/r the turn. Fold on the river is standard.

LordTacohead
01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I raise the flop to $9 or so and fold to a push? Or should I go for broke against JT/Q9 because his possible range is so wide? If I go for a checkraise on the turn, the pot will be pretty huge, so I imagine you mean the latter.

pineapple888
01-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I like your line here, normally I'd want to play two-pair faster but this board is just way too coordinated, and right in the wheelhouse of the EP limpers for sets, straights, and higher two-pair.

For the same reason, I'm generally folding to a significant bet on the river, even if a blank falls, plus it's questionable whether Villain would play [AJ-QJ] that fast on this type of board.

sputum
01-09-2007, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a higher two pair was such an obvious possibility

[/ QUOTE ]
Top and bottom is a pretty good hand. I wouldn't worry about being behind as much as letting our opponent get there. I threebet this big on the flop, but you got a relatively nice turn card so you can get your checkraise in there I think.
Anything below a good top two is usually vulnerable and I generally raise as early as I can and at pretty much every opportunity. Tricky hands to get away from if you're beaten but pretty profitable against most villains.

AceLuby
01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I raise the flop to $9 or so and fold to a push? Or should I go for broke against JT/Q9 because his possible range is so wide? If I go for a checkraise on the turn, the pot will be pretty huge, so I imagine you mean the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty read dependent, do you have anything on villain? Have you seen any hands that went to showdown?