PDA

View Full Version : NL50: AK on scary meets resistance

barryc83
01-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Villain is 10/6 over 50 hands. Yeah I know small sample but it shows he hasn't been mixing it up much. I used to make calls like these but I found that I am usually behind. If the river was like a 2d or something I would call. How's my line? Anyone call river? I thought min raise could be a flush draw, and then when he cold calls the turn I def. thought he hit his flush.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
Hero: $104.90
UTG+1: $103.55
CO: $46.75
Button: $91.40
SB: $37.95
BB: $44

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $10</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($26.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $15</font>, Button calls.

River: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif ($56.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $30</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $30 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $56.5

barryc83
01-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Damn I thought this hand would spark some discussion. Did I play this perfectly or does nobody have any ideas?

Unknown Soldier
01-08-2007, 10:54 PM
i would like to get some discussion going on this hand too.

The turn is the interesting part imo, river is too, but I think it's a close fold.

Unknown Soldier
01-08-2007, 11:03 PM
yeah i think i'd c/c from turn, reason being pot control. This is a tough hand though (10/6 is quite tight yeah?)

barryc83
01-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Well I bet the turn just because I thought that a flush draw was a good part of his range and I beat all 2 pair hands now. Obv he could have 77, JJ (he prob doesn't rr this pf IMO), or maybe QT but I dunno if he min raises that.

The smooth call on the turn really confused me. Obv he could be slowplaying but thats a scary board for it and this guy appears to be somewhat nittish, yes over a small sample.

I hate to sound results oriented, but everytime I call a big bet like this on the river in an iffy spot I'm usually behind. Is a flush draw really not that big a part of his range here?

Unknown Soldier
01-08-2007, 11:12 PM
no it is a reasonable part of his range, however the min raise on the flop is more often then not a big hand as opposed to a flush draw

you are getting nearly 3:1 though, that's what makes it hard. If it was a psb I would fold pretty much straight away.

going back to the turn though, what would you have done if he had raised that?

barryc83
01-08-2007, 11:15 PM
I'd fold if he raised the turn. I figure if this guy raises that turn card then he's got a set or QT. The sample is small but I had literally seen this guy not get involved in any pots thus far.

Unknown Soldier
01-08-2007, 11:23 PM
so turn bet is sort of a hand definder, plus charging draws, yeah I like that idea. You have to balance that against pot control though, that's that really hard part imo, but I like the bet now

SeanyBullets
01-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Why didn't 3bet the flop? Is that clearly a wrong play here?

Unknown Soldier
01-08-2007, 11:27 PM
i think so, villain is showing alot of strength, he could have a draw but he could have KJ/set, keep this pot small

flair1239
01-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Would have been nice if you had not shown the turn and river action.

The min raise on the flop could be a big hand, or it could be a converted limit player making a raise for a freecard.

As it is it becomes very difficult to play. I think the overriding factor is you have a pretty tight player making a decent bet on a board he knows that you are liking.

I still have a lot of showdown monkey tendencies from my limit days, so against a seemingly tight and predictable player I ight throw out a weak blocker on the river.

As the hand went down I would expect to see a non nut flush, maybe QJ or JT, or 77. I don't think he is value betting a king or two pair here. As for a bluffI don't see it often here with those stats.

barryc83
01-08-2007, 11:33 PM
3betting is bad against a player like this bc he only calls you when you're beat. He's not felting KQ here.

I've just seen the min raise to get a free turn card move so much lately that I thought he was doing it. I just get this sick feeling like he really thought he KJ was good or something. He's not bluffing here, not this guy.

flair1239
01-08-2007, 11:38 PM
If he was more aggro, I would not mind checking the turn and giving him a chance to charge himself.

Also from his point of view, your turn bet had to be kind of hand defining, as the ace hits the board and you open up a again with a reasonable bet. So I think this would give him more reason to think you were willing to call the river.

barryc83
01-08-2007, 11:43 PM
That's the thing, after I lead the turn my hand is pretty well defined. So my hand is well defined he smooth calls and then makes a sizeable river bet knowing I like my hand. Seems like I'm beat right. However, I am assuming that this guy is more than a first level thinker, which just bc he's tight doesn't mean he's thinking about what I have.

flair1239
01-08-2007, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the thing, after I lead the turn my hand is pretty well defined. So my hand is well defined he smooth calls and then makes a sizeable river bet knowing I like my hand. Seems like I'm beat right. However, I am assuming that this guy is more than a first level thinker, which just bc he's tight doesn't mean he's thinking about what I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but the action here is fairly straight forward. You raise PF, bet a K high flop, get raised and call. Ace hits and you open up again for a decent bet. Almost hinting that you want to play a big pot. If he does not think to hard he probably does not think you are trying to cut down his implied odds with your bet, he just might be thinking that you like your hand.