PDA

View Full Version : NL10 Any fold equity with this NFD?

bmk67
01-08-2007, 02:56 PM
WPEX NL10 6max - no converter.

Hero is BB, Villain is CO. Effective stacks 100BB, Hero covers. Over the half hour I've been at the table, I have not seen villain get out of line, I think he's pretty solid for this level.

UTG folds.
UTG+1 folds.
CO (Villain) raises to .40.
Button folds.
SB calls .35.
BB (Hero) calls .30 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif

Flop (1.20) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks.
BB (Hero) bets 1.00
CO (Villain) raises to 4.00
SB folds.

I put villain on 77+, K/images/graemlins/club.gif x/images/graemlins/club.gif or perhaps (unlikely) AK here.

I tend to play nut flush draws with a pair or overcards aggressively on the flop, and I'm almost never afraid to push a 100BB stack in the middle with this kind of a hand.

If I'm behind (which is likely), I'm thinking I likely have 11 or 12 clean outs, perhaps as many as 15.

I don't think I can really call to peel one off here getting 2:1 with villain only having about $5.60 behind. The immediate pot odds don't justify it, and if my flush hits, I'm not going to get paid often enough to justify calling for the implied odds.

My question is this: At this level, with this read, is there any fold equity at all? Is this an insta-push, insta-fold, or somewhere in between?

Unknown Soldier
01-08-2007, 02:59 PM
i like getting my money in when I'm ahead, calling would make you pot comitted, might aswell push, you never have exactly 0 FE, although it's pretty close.

bmk67
01-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah, calling was pretty much never an option. I might consider calling a minraise here, but not a PSR with the stacks being what they are.

Can anyone make a case for folding here?

Unknown Soldier
01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
not with ~1.2:1 odds (when all the money get's in on the flop, so that's not counting FE.)

also, I'd c/r this flop I think it's a nice time to do it.

bmk67
01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also, I'd c/r this flop I think it's a nice time to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to use the c/r a lot, but I've learned to dislike the play in NL.

I'm assuming that you're talking about an ordinary pot-size c/r in response to a c-bet from villain. I don't like this play because it gives villain the opportunity to merely call the c/r for value, leaving me in the uncomfortable position of having a bit more than a 1/2 PSB to continue in the hand with ever decreasing pot equity on the turn.

With stack and bet sizes being what they are, I want to do one of two things - keep the pot smaller on the flop so I can make a PSB on the turn, or get it all in on the flop as the aggressor if I can.

(pot equity + fold equity)[flop] >> (pot equity + fold equity)[turn]

Making an ordinary sized c/r on the flop gives him the opportunity to push, robbing me of the small amount of fold equity I might have, and I'll be compelled to call. I'd rather put myself in a position where I'm the one putting him to the decision, and retain the maximum fold equity.

If you're talking about a c/r AI, now that's another story. I don't use that play very often at all in this case - it may fold out hands that beat us, but it will also fold out every single hand that we beat as well, whereas B3B AI may get lesser flush draws to call.

Esmerelda
01-08-2007, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like getting my money in when I'm ahead, calling would make you pot comitted, might aswell push, you never have exactly 0 FE, although it's pretty close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Esmerelda
01-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Now that you mention it I should try that line more often especially against an aggro type.

Unknown Soldier
01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
well imo your goal is to either get it all in here or see a cheap turn card. c/r accomplashes this most of the time. If he makes a small 1/2 sized pot bet then imo it's best to call, you're getting the odds. If he makes a psb then there is enough in the pot to go AI.

[ QUOTE ]
whereas B3B AI may get lesser flush draws to call.

[/ QUOTE ] not a massive part of his range.

idk, what do you think.

I don't think there is a "standard" play here, it is mostly villain dependent, b3b and c/r (or c/c if bet is small) both have their merits

bmk67
01-08-2007, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there is a "standard" play here, it is mostly villain dependent, b3b and c/r (or c/c if bet is small) both have their merits

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think that's what makes this kind of situation interesting.