PDA

View Full Version : NL50: QQ hand. Question about preflop

Scuba Chuck
01-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
4 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $80.40
Button: $52
Hero: $90.60
BB: $40.40

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $2</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5.5</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

UTG raises a lot. So when I enter, with top 10-12% of hands I reraise. But BB's cold call of 11 BBs usually means.... Also, how do you tend to play this postflop? BB was playing more right than wrong.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($13, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8.5</font>, BB calls.

Does this action pretty much kill my hand? Spidey senses are going off everywhere.

Imrahil
01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Raise to $7 PF. He could have A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, or just an overpair here.

pineapple888
01-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Well if he's kinda good I'd put him on TT+ AK, although people get stupid with pairs so this could be any pair really.

So then narrow it down to TT+ postflop because he'd likely jam with AK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, throw in some other underpairs but some sets also, and it's not a great spot. But there's too much $$ in there to get away from the hand. I'd play it WA/WB, check/call turn and river.

Messiahkid
01-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Resize your PFR to atleast $7.

Any stats on BB? I think AKd is villians most likely holding here?

Genz
01-08-2007, 04:33 PM
This is a nasty spot. I try to keep the pot small and fold to a significant bet especially when another diamond hits.

Edit: I make my flop bet bigger though. More like 10 or 11.

Hail Eris
01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, unless he's a nit or you have some other read*, you're ahead of his range and I'm willing to felt here. Checking is probably better since he's more likely to have a weaker overpair than a flush draw. If he shoves, I'm calling. If he checks behind, I'm shoving river.

And raise more PF.

*Some villains will reliably check behind with a weak overpair here and others will reliably shove. If you have a read one way or the other, it makes the hand easy.

Route66
01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
How to proceed depends on the turn card, which OP didn't provide. I'm not sure that WA/WB applies here. With the draws out there how can you afford to give a free card? The pot is already large... looks like around $28 and villain has $26 behind. As long as the turn blanks (no A, K, diamond or 4 to a straight) I'm shoving, especially if I was going to call 2 more bets anyway. If he has me beat then fine I got outplayed... but I'd feel a lot worse if I let him hit his hand for free.

Scuba Chuck
01-08-2007, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Resize your PFR to atleast $7.

Any stats on BB? I think AKd is villians most likely holding here?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. I put him on AA or KK first.

Scuba Chuck
01-08-2007, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well if he's kinda good I'd put him on TT+ AK, although people get stupid with pairs so this could be any pair really.

So then narrow it down to TT+ postflop because he'd likely jam with AK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, throw in some other underpairs but some sets also, and it's not a great spot. But there's too much $$ in there to get away from the hand. I'd play it WA/WB, check/call turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I viewed the hand. But I also think that hands like TT/JJ also like to jam on this type of board. Preflop, my **feel** was that he was very very strong. Think about it, if he raises preflop, it's a 4bet. Don't we have some sort of 4bet rules around here?

Anyhow, at this level, I'm certain that I will continue to payoff in these spots (but just thinking ahead some).

kaz2107
01-08-2007, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I viewed the hand. But I also think that hands like TT/JJ also like to jam on this type of board. Preflop, my **feel** was that he was very very strong. Think about it, if he raises preflop, it's a 4bet. Don't we have some sort of 4bet rules around here?

Anyhow, at this level, I'm certain that I will continue to payoff in these spots (but just thinking ahead some).

[/ QUOTE ]

i think pineaples (sp?) post is spot on altho i typically reraise to 7 here preflop to negate some of the implied odds for utg.

but i think ur comment about paying off at this level with these type of hands is totally correct. it doesnt sound like u have a great read and therefore villian could have just been luckily making decent plays to this point. so he could vary well b some donkey playin with AQ and floating or 99 and just b playin extremely passively. i like a check call line from here on out assuming blanks hit