PDA

View Full Version : 200NL Slowplay this set?

Pro Zaxer
01-08-2007, 05:31 AM
My second hand ever at this level and I flop a set cause that's just how I roll...but then I might have misplayed it, apparently I roll that way, too.

So it was a pretty small raise to $5 preflop, I guess I could reraise preflop, but I thought with 77 better to just take the good odds from the SB, call $4 more, maybe full stacked BB comes along too, villian and I had about $200 in front of us.

Anyways, it looks like he had nothing, I don't know if slowplaying here on this really dry board would have gotten me any more money, but maybe worth a shot.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $5</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif ($12, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $16</font>, UTG folds.
Uncalled bets: $11 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $22

Curious do you guys raise here preflop more often than not with 77, and do you slowplay this flop? If so, what’s your turn line? I know, pretty silly little hand, but I wanted to post a non-fold set hand, lol.

deaders
01-08-2007, 05:33 AM
Just lead, c/ring is really transperant.

Pro Zaxer
01-08-2007, 05:45 AM
At the time I was thinking of Ed Millers book and how to stack him with AA, KK, AQ, you know where he says you have to get a raise in somewhere. But leading seems better since by check-raising he might call with the big pair, but bail on the turn if I bet big. Whereas with leading, he will do the raising for me. Also leading is better if he has QJ, QT. Thanks!

carnivalhobo
01-08-2007, 06:11 AM
you have options, i dont really donkbet ever in this spot, so id either check raise, or stop n go, or c/c c/r.

Ketelsen
01-08-2007, 06:15 AM
yea definetely lead the flop...

epdaws
01-08-2007, 06:20 AM
OP,

You're not going to win a big pot unless Villain has a hand like AQ, KQ, AA, or KK here. Often he won't. Leading into him shows a lot of strength, and builds a pot when Villain can call your flop lead. But a perceptive Villain might ditch a Q if you keep barreling.

Checking gives you at least the value of his Cbet. However, a C/R plants a flashing neon sign on your hand. If you're not going to lead the flop, c/c is much better on this dry of a board.

Depending on the turn card, leading for 1/2 pot to 2/3 pot is good. Sure, c/c and lead turn can be a scary line, but you'll occasionally have the good fortune of

1) Villain actually having a hand like TP that he'll continue with, or
2) Villain stubbornly believing you're trying to take away the pot with air.

Without a read, I'd lead the turn. Against aggressive double barrelers I like a c/c and c/r turn.

FireStorm
01-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Leading the flop is good.

carnivalhobo
01-08-2007, 06:21 AM
you guys that donkbet, what else are you donkbetting here, how often is it air? how often can you call a raise?

epdaws
01-08-2007, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you guys that donkbet, what else are you donkbetting here, how often is it air? how often can you call a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was discussed in a recent thread (or several). The question was, how profitable is it to lead into a preflop raiser from the blinds -- but typically when the preflop raiser was in LP and often would have junk?

This is a much different spot. Raiser is UTG, and our flop lead looks like a monster straight out of Scooby Doo. At least, it certainly can.

That's why I prefer c/c and lead turn or c/c and c/r turn.

carnivalhobo
01-08-2007, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was discussed in a recent thread (or several). The question was, how profitable is it to lead into a preflop raiser from the blinds -- but typically when the preflop raiser was in LP and often would have junk?

This is a much different spot. Raiser is UTG, and our flop lead looks like a monster straight out of Scooby Doo. At least, it certainly can.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you, but i can hardly ever see a reason to donkbet, and i have yet to play someone who gives me trouble by donkbetting, but people keep recommending it as if it were a standard line.

epdaws
01-08-2007, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you, but i can hardly ever see a reason to donkbet, and i have yet to play someone who gives me trouble by donkbetting, but people keep recommending it as if it were a standard line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carn,

If raiser is a Button opener with numbers like 21/16 and I'm in the SB, I'll lead any A flop quite often, and I'll lead a paint flop often as well. Not as a standard, but to mix it up and keep blind stealers at bay. It's an important tool to use, but certaily not to over-use.

Obv it has no relevance in this case.

deaders
01-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Plenty of tags will raise a donk bet out of the blinds with a very wide range, and probably rightly so.

epdaws
01-08-2007, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of tags will raise a donk bet out of the blinds with a very wide range, and probably rightly so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I'm one of them. You've got to know who you're dealing with.

BobAllinSki
01-08-2007, 08:06 AM
I like a lead, if he has a hand that you can stack he's going to raise, then you make a reasonable 3 bet and can push on the turn. A check raise represents just as much strength as a 3 bet but now you have to get him to call 2 streets to stack him, not 1.