PDA

View Full Version : I flopped the nuts: How do I extract value here?

NL__Fool
01-08-2007, 02:00 AM
I recently made the switch from Limit and the biggest leak I have is overvalueing Pairs and 2 pairs etc. 2nd biggest leak I have is extracting value: How would you extract the most value here?

I figured a J was calling this board and gutshots wouldn't have the odds to call a 3/4 pot bet so is pushing and hoping he has a J an ok move here?

It seems everytime I push like this they fold and everytime I bet weak they call and would have paid off more.

Is there a post or sticky? somewhere that explains how to extract the most value?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($100)
UTG+1 ($59)
MP1 ($44.50)
MP2 ($74.10)
CO ($133.25)
Hero ($103.45)
SB ($26.90)
BB ($98.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $3</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $5.

Turn: ($21) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $56</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: $77

tree_stump
01-08-2007, 02:03 AM
IMO, you played it mostly right. The board's got a few draws, so you've got to bet and give opponents incorrect odds to draw to a flush/straight/boat.

Your turn bet was massive, though - something like $12-15 is enough to give him incorrect draws, and a bad player will still almost always call it. Just hope he doesn't have JT ;-)

Praetor
01-08-2007, 02:04 AM
raise preflop

raise more on the flop

just bet normal on turn there are no bad cards apart from double pair

Pokerho
01-08-2007, 02:11 AM
I think the turn bet is a HUGE mistake. Why throw out a massive overbet when now there is something that beats you? If UTG+1 is holding JT, you just made his dreams come true. I'm guessing you don't fold if he pushes back at you, right?

Make another pot-ish sized bet and then start to worry if you get a call from a non-fishy player.

Pokerho
01-08-2007, 02:45 AM
more thoughts:

In this situation, I don't think to myself "how can I get more value?", I think, "How can I protect my lead?"

The answer is raise more on the flop. Your smallish reraise won't discourage people with a better flush draw or other things that might be worse now but could improve. Plus, if they do call your bigger raise, that's good for you too, since you still have the best hand at that point.

And again, that turn over-bet is only going to get called by something that beats it, so why do it?

ZingyDNA
01-08-2007, 02:49 AM
If u raise preflop it'll a lot easier to extract. Maybe limping is ok for fullring but I'm not being result-oriented. Your turn bet is pretty standard.

CappyAA
01-08-2007, 02:54 AM
I don't know if I raise this preflop with a couple limpers, but I really don't play full ring ever, so I dunno.

This looks standard to me preflop. Raise more on the flop, and bet something like $15 on the turn. You want a worse hand to call here, and the only worse hand you'll get to call with that bet is AJ/KJ