PDA

View Full Version : Endurance (cross-post from physchology forum)

willw9
01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I mainly 4 table 100NL, and while I have every bit of motivation to play, I find that I often cannot play for more than 2 hours. I would love to just bang out 6 hour sessions from 10am-4pm and make some serious coinage, but I am just physically and mentally unable to do so.

Has anyone ever encountered this? What can I do to improve stamina?

In addition, when I go to play MTT's around midnight, my eyes just start to shut right at the start. If I am still playing around 130 or 2 am, I am fine, but during this time frame, I am just extremely tired. This is obviously just the way my body works in reaction to my weekly agenda (hockey, work, gym, etc.), but I would really like to be able to counter this fatigue.

Thoughts? Recommended food/drink? Pregame routine?

Ness3
01-07-2007, 02:09 PM
cocaine or adderall (sp?) will help a great deal.

ness

wildzer0
01-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Man, I would love some good ideas to this. One thing I've been doing lately that's been really helpful is stopping every hour and reviewing every hand where I put more than $10 into the pot (for 100nl). 4-tabling for an hour it's usually less than 15 and only takes a few minutes. This at least gives me a little break,and a better idea of how I'm playing at the moment.

I find I'm the same way though, as much as I would love to just put in a huge session every day, my results suffer for it.

MasterLJ
01-07-2007, 02:11 PM
This is standard for most people. Can you not do this at all? Or you just aren't playing well by hour 5?

I can play marathon sessions, but I'm only really fresh for 2 hours / 1000 hands.

If you do this for a living or whatever, play 1000 hands, take a break (go to the gym, etc) and you'll feel much better in your 2nd session.

Don't play when you're falling asleep.

As for improving your concentration: Diet, excersize, practice and avoiding heavy drinking/drugs helps a lot. I know this is contrary to the degenerate lifestyle but it helps a lot.

Isura
01-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I find that I can play longer on less tables. So I start my sessions with 6+ tables and start removing a few of them for the latter part of my sessions.

smellmuth
01-07-2007, 02:28 PM
play in 2 hour blocks with 1 hour breaks.

crookedhat99
01-07-2007, 02:38 PM
adderall FTW

Abramovic
01-07-2007, 02:42 PM
I am really struggling to play lots at the moment. When I win I want to quit, and when I lose I keep playing till I can't take losing anymore. Im averaging about 300 hands a day at the moment (2-4 tables).

After droppin 4 BIs in 300 hands today, Im not enjoying poker atm..

wildzer0
01-07-2007, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
adderall FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I know there's been like 10 billion adderall threads here, but is that stuff really that great? And are there bad side affects? I took ritalin when I was a kid for ADD and quit when I was 12 or 13. I've been thinking since I do actually have ADD and have a hell of a time concentrating for any length of time, maybe seeing a doctor about something like that is a good idea. Then again, I'm not a big prescription drug fan, and probably wouldn't take it often enough for it to make a difference anyway.

tufat23
01-07-2007, 03:16 PM
i've been clocking 25 hand sessions. i knwo what you mean.

seriously tho, i have the same problem. I can play 1.5hrs-3hr sessions easy but no more. the only time i play longer is when i'm muchostucko, then its no sleep till even. i justify this by 'my table image is crazy, better take advantage!!'

Abramovic
01-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Lol tufat, 'no sleep till even' is the way to go. Then I just go even morostucko, and then I try to sleep, but sleep doesnt happen.

MyTurn2Raise
01-07-2007, 07:54 PM
no one likes to hear this, but eating well and exercising will help big time. Eat a healthy meal every 3 to 4 hours and get at least an hour of exercise with your heartrate above 65% every day. The rest of your life will be so much better.

If you don't want to leave the poker game, have nuts, fruits, protein shakes, Kashi cereal, and other finger food nearby.

Personally, I like putting in anywhere from 2 to 4 three to four hour sessions when I'm playing/studying. I like to break and have a good meal.

Not a heavy meal, though, as the blood rush to the stomach is too much.

Will power comes much easier when the rest of the system is in order.

pickless
01-07-2007, 07:59 PM
go outside and take a 15 minute break. it works.

willw9
01-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Good advice fellas. Definetely gonna try some of that out in the future.

Thoughts for pulling through the 1130pm-130am window of sleepiness, which usually marks the beginning of my nightly MTT stint?

Claunchy
01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
I usually play 3 or 4 one-hour sessions throughout the day.

I'm way too ADD to play for like 4 hours straight (or 14 nation WTF).

MasterLJ
01-07-2007, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts for pulling through the 1130pm-130am window of sleepiness, which usually marks the beginning of my nightly MTT stint?

[/ QUOTE ]

An apple >>>>>> caffeine for waking up/staying awake.

MyTurn2Raise
01-07-2007, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depeding on the time zone....i suggest listening to loveline--the laughs keep me going

google loveline companion FAQ

crookedhat99
01-07-2007, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
adderall FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I know there's been like 10 billion adderall threads here, but is that stuff really that great? And are there bad side affects? I took ritalin when I was a kid for ADD and quit when I was 12 or 13. I've been thinking since I do actually have ADD and have a hell of a time concentrating for any length of time, maybe seeing a doctor about something like that is a good idea. Then again, I'm not a big prescription drug fan, and probably wouldn't take it often enough for it to make a difference anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't taken it for that long but so far it's worked pretty dramatically. I get an energy boost when I take it and it becomes much easier to focus all my energy espesh for long periods of time. I used to sort of have a problem with endurance and now I can play for 5-6 hours straight easy. Having the correct mindset+adderall= ability to play long sessions.

willw9
08-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Wanted to bump this old thread of mine. Hope it helps, and if anybody has anything else to add that would be great. I definetely still struggle with this...

MikeRice
08-06-2007, 12:48 AM
I'll play 3 or so shorter sessions spread out during the day(or deep into the night). Also doing cardio or something physical in the morning seems to help a lot.

GSykes
08-06-2007, 12:53 AM
I have the same problem, I just dont play long sessions. I play well for just over an hour after that my play suffers so I stop.

I have to schedules.

I have a "short day" which is 3 hours of play 2 1.5 hour sessions
Then I have "long day" which is 4 1.5 hour sessions.

fees
08-06-2007, 01:23 AM
cocaine

Dire
08-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Same as chess: exercise. Spend an hour or so at the gym each and in a few months the only reason you'll ever have to stop playing is boredome.