PDA

View Full Version : Awkward KK deep

2Paul2
01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Btn is 18/15/5 over 100 hands or so. Seems like a decent aggressive reg. Not tangled w/ him yet.

Sb is 23/6/2 over ~450 hands. He's one of these badish passive guys that frequent the 1/2 game during the day and ive been isolating him quite a bit and taking alot of pots down w/ cbs.

Ive been playing ~25/19/3, nothing majorly out of line, just alot of raising in postion and cb:ing. I got my stack w/ KQ when I raised pf, was called by a bad player, JcQcx bet call Q bet call K I c/r all in and get called by Q8(sooooted obv.)

I felt rly uncomfortable on every street and it's quite possible played them all badly so blah gonna do a play along type thingy.

Full Tilt Poker
$1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
SB: $376.7
Hero (BB): $610.8
UTG: $461.05
MP: $189
CO: $209.15
BTN: $207

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($3, 6 players)
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $7</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $23</font>

Hero?

Paul

Al_Money
01-07-2007, 01:13 PM
This type of preflop spot is posted a lot, and I still think 4 betting is the best move. Calling is bleh, although we do have position on the passive player so I guess it wouldn't be terrible, but I still prefer 4 betting.

catalyst
01-07-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm certainly raising here, probably to ~60-65

mikechops
01-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Possibly influenced by last night when I called in a similar position and the raiser pushed a raggy flop for ~150bb - I folded cos I felt lost.

But I'd raise here and $75 is about the least I'd make it. I know folding KK is a no, but against this guy and after you 4-bet, I could fold a push for 200BB.

orange
01-07-2007, 01:34 PM
$75 I think. I don't like cold calling as much.

jk3a
01-07-2007, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$75 I think. I don't like cold calling as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

anacrime
01-07-2007, 02:06 PM
What do you do with AKo here?

kitaristi0
01-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I probably call. I'm definitely not happy getting it in here PF vs. SB.

Dan Bitel
01-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I think i just call here

op3th
01-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I think you have to go to $60-75 and see where you're at....I dont think a flat call here is wise... all unders come and you still put him on aces..than what do you do? Either reraise pre or fold imo.

BalugaWhale
01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
if its an aggro game with people 4betting a lot with AK, then call and hope to get that guy to move in

if you think think that the TAG player is unlikely to come over the top, then 4bet.

epdaws
01-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Paul,

Per an excellent thread and discussion generated by TWP in a previous thread, I'm 4-betting with ATC every time against Villains with these stats. Thus, I'm 4-betting KK here.

Edit: Sorry, thought SB was 23/16 when I first read it. I still 4-bet here, and you're going to find out a lot from SB. I hope Button will shove.

2Paul2
01-07-2007, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you do with AKo here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold.

Those saying raise/fold(which if your gonna I raise I think I agree w/) surely I'm better off calling this deep(if it's raise/fold) given that I can prolly play very well v this particular villain post flop and by calling won't lose the chance of flopping a set and winning a huge one. I spose there's still the problem of letting the btn in for a good price w/ position.

[ QUOTE ]
if its an aggro game with people 4betting a lot with AK, then call and hope to get that guy to move in

[/ QUOTE ]

Na, wasn't ramped up at all. You call a push from sb if you 4bet?

Ummmmm seems like the majority like a 4bet. That was my 1st inclination. Villains is prolly bad enough to call w/ a few worse hands and I didn't want btn to get a nice price at a flop w/ position. There hadn't been much pf crazyness as of yet though and I rly didnt know what to do is sb pushed. Sooooo I just kinda hoped btn would push(which would give me alot of info about sbs hand) or get out the way in which case I get it hu v a vry predictable player who I have on a vry narrow range which isnt too bad of a situation.

Ummm ye so my thinkings kinda muddled and not great which is why I posted hand. Still not sure if I prefer 4bet or call though. Anyway onto the flop:

Full Tilt Poker
6 Players

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($3, 6 players)
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $7</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $23</font>, Hero calls $21, BTN folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($53, 2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets $33</font>

At this point I would say villains range is pretty much JJ+ 80% AK/TT 20%.

Hero?

This is prolly teh least interesting street but im still interested in peoples pf opinions and I think there is some room for discussion about the flop so fire away.

Paul

orange
01-07-2007, 04:21 PM
i would call flop given pf action.

gimmetheloot
01-07-2007, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan Bitel
01-07-2007, 04:55 PM
obv call flop

23act
01-07-2007, 05:00 PM
i like a 4bet to 65 preflop because of SB is so passive. if he pushes you can fold BUT more importantly he is a bad player so he is calling with hands here that will get him in trouble post flop. ie. JJ/QQ

I think you're gonna make more money by taking the lead when he has JJ/QQ than letting him be the aggressor with those hands.

Vs most players I think a flop call is standard as played but depends on how bad he is...

Fonkey123
01-07-2007, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BalugaWhale
01-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Wait... his range is 80%JJ+ and 20% AK/TT, and he's bad enough to probably stack off with all of that one the flop... why are we not raising the flop

Dan Bitel
01-07-2007, 07:07 PM
BW,

why u think he is stacking off with all of them on the flop?

Dan Bitel
01-07-2007, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Paul,

Per an excellent thread and discussion generated by TWP in a previous thread, I'm 4-betting with ATC every time against Villains with these stats. Thus, I'm 4-betting KK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

this line of reasoning makes no sence. If fact, it kinda shows raising to be bad

mikechops
01-08-2007, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
obv call flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Glovey
01-08-2007, 09:45 AM
raise this, hands down, try to get the kings head up, you're only beaten by aces here and many hands would 3 bet in his situation, you're ahead most of the time here.

NoahSD
01-08-2007, 10:13 AM
I think 4-betting preflop here is horrible if I understand the read right. These guys often fold QQ, and they def fold JJ.

Edit: Like others said the flop is an easy call. What's the turn card?

True
01-08-2007, 10:38 AM
pf call, flop call, e-z

Hattifnatt
01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
pf call, raise flop.

True
01-08-2007, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
pf call, raise flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

whorasaurus
01-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Can I ask what we do in this position if we are holding QQ here? Mostly interested in preflop...I can't tell if this is an automatic fold

True
01-08-2007, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I ask what we do in this position if we are holding QQ here? Mostly interested in preflop...I can't tell if this is an automatic fold

[/ QUOTE ]

call and call flop, same as KK and AA

Grunch
01-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I have 2 general plans for this situation, and I choose from them based partly on how thin I think a PF push will be called:

1) Push PF
2) Call PF, somehow get all the chips in on a non-Ace flop. Fold an Ace flop.

The thinner I think a PF push is called, the more I tend to push PF.

True
01-08-2007, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 2 general plans for this situation, and I choose from them based partly on how thin I think a PF push will be called:

1) Push PF

[/ QUOTE ]

we are 200bb deep, only thing we are called by is AA. Also we aren't really looking to get AI here

PBJaxx
01-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Preflop is very dependent on YOUR style IMO. If you have been 4-betting light, then I would prob 4-bet. At the moment, I rarely 4-bet, and it has been working for me at the 1/2 tables. I may have to change my game as I move up, but at 1/2, I rarely call a 3-bet light, and I rarely 4-bet. I 3-bet pretty lightly, and I think where I beat most of the regs is in RR pots because instead of 4-betting light or folding, they call my 3-bets with all sort of marginal holdings like 88 or TJs when we aren't deep enough. Okay...[/rant]

Because I rarely 4-bet, I call preflop. Call that flop. Even if villain has a very narrow range that we are ahead of (QQ+,AK+), raising is not optimal because we probably fold out AK. This is definitely WA/WB, and I would typically just call the flop. If villain will stack off as light as 99+ here, then raising may be warranted.

BobAllinSki
01-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I raise this flop, I think I have a lot to learn.....

2Paul2
01-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Some good thoughts. I wasn't sure if villain was stacking off w/ &lt;KK so I just called.

Full Tilt Poker
6 Players

UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $7</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $23</font>, Hero calls $21, BTN folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($53, 2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets $33</font>, Hero calls $33

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif [6/images/graemlins/heart.gif] ($119, 2 players)
SB checks

Hero?

True
01-08-2007, 12:31 PM
check behind and bet 89 on river

dd323
01-08-2007, 12:37 PM
I liked the call/call, now I like a check. Villian is decently aggressive postflop for how passive he is preflop. I think this is the place to make a standard check for pot control.

Hattifnatt
01-08-2007, 12:39 PM
check turn.

True
01-08-2007, 12:41 PM
tbh, it's a check for deception not pot control

josh_x
01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I agree with a check here. What do people say if the turn were a 7, such that AK's gutshot was still worth something?

Isura
01-08-2007, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) Push PF

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, pushing PF sucks really bad.

Isura
01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I would make it about 75 PF. This guy will reraise AK/QQ-JJ IMO, and he'll never fold to a 4-bet since you're pretty deep. I think you're giving up too much value against a bad SB to just call here, and it lets button in cheaply to stack you. My only worry is that SB will push AK PF, but that is not nearly as likely as AA so I think I can still fold to a push this deep. AK won't give action when they miss, QQ-TT won't put more in on a K/A flop. I will often call with 100bb stacks since its trivial to get a stack in against a smaller overpair. But this deep I think he can get away from worst hands on a flop exactly like this, so I put my money in PF.

Isura
01-08-2007, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait... his range is 80%JJ+ and 20% AK/TT, and he's bad enough to probably stack off with all of that one the flop... why are we not raising the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

True
01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt he stacks off 200bbs with JJ

Al_Money
01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't see why we are going to check behind on this turn. I think we should be value betting turn and river in this spot. If villain has 99-QQ here, a big part of his range, he is never folding on this board, unless a scare card comes on the river. I think we rarely get c/r vs. this opponent as well.

For those advocating a turn check, are we just calling a river bet or are we raising?

cd1680
01-08-2007, 01:47 PM
reraise that. If you run into aces, its bad luck. It is far more likely that he has AK AQ or KK QQ JJ or lower. If you are really scared and want to keep your stack, you can call and see the flop. If the flop comes all low cards, you still can't lay it down, but if the flop comes an ace, you basically have to throw it away even if SB has QQ or JJ and he cb. I still say pushing here would be best.

epdaws
01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Paul,

[/ QUOTE ]

this line of reasoning makes no sence. If fact, it kinda shows raising to be bad

[/ QUOTE ]

If Villains have a sense that I would 4-bet light, how can it show raising to be bad? Do you desire to let Button in for cheap to stack us?

SB's going to shove AA when it gets back to him if he has AA, and he's going to call with AK more than shove it. We can fold with these stacks if he shoves over our 4-bet.

Hattifnatt
01-08-2007, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We can fold with these stacks if he shoves over our 4-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
reraising and folding to a push is very bad. With QQ it woulda been an OK play even though I still would prefer a call.

Dan Bitel
01-08-2007, 02:09 PM
ep,

b/c this situation comes up pretty rarely, and so its unlikely (and in this post there no history of it infact) that theres been any 4betting preflop. And even if you had 4bet once and they folded, you could've had big hand that time and also this time in their eyes. It takes a villain with big balls or a small brain to start playing back at 4bets.

So my point is that you 4bet in that spot with ATC, b/c you expect villain to fold nearly all his 3betting range. Is that what we want to happen here?

epdaws
01-08-2007, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ep,

b/c this situation comes up pretty rarely, and so its unlikely (and in this post there no history of it infact) that theres been any 4betting preflop. And even if you had 4bet once and they folded, you could've had big hand that time and also this time in their eyes. It takes a villain with big balls or a small brain to start playing back at 4bets.

So my point is that you 4bet in that spot with ATC, b/c you expect villain to fold nearly all his 3betting range. Is that what we want to happen here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read my post? I 4bet against Villains who are 23/16 types; I mis-read the stats initially. Against this guy I don't 4-bet ATC obv.

And when it folds to the button whose opening range from that position is hugely wide, and a typical TAG re-pops from the SB, and I'm in the BB, I 4-bet like mad.

2Paul2
01-08-2007, 05:54 PM
I feel like maybe I should bet the turn. I don't think he's folding much right there and feel he might pay off 2 streets w/ JJ/QQ. Most of you seem to prefer a check so I dunno though. In the actual hand I did check.

Full Tilt Poker
6 Players

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif [6/images/graemlins/heart.gif] ($119, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">River:</font> 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif [8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] ($119, 2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets $33</font>

Raise river?

If so, how much?

Paul

dd323
01-08-2007, 06:08 PM
I like a little raise to $90.

DMoogle
01-08-2007, 06:13 PM
On the river I think you can make a pretty small value raise (don't forget your hand is veeeery deceptive) to $90. You're probably up against a missed AK, JJ, QQ, KK, or (worst case scenario) AA. AK he'll probably fold, and because of the dryness of the board (it's a suspicious raise), he's probably going to simply call with all those pocket pairs, even AA.

aislephive
01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I would play it the same to this point against this villain. Raise river to $100.

orange
01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
$100 on river.

ImsaKidd
01-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Raise to 100ish, and throw up if he 3b, probably a fold.

Bukem_
01-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I like how you played it and go $115-$140.

Tickner
01-08-2007, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$100 on river.

[/ QUOTE ]

2Paul2
01-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Ye I effed up river. Thx for comments.

Full Tilt Poker
6 Players

SB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">River:</font> 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif [8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] ($119, 2 players)

<font color="black">Results:</font>
SB had J/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif (a pair of Jacks)
Hero had K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (a pair of Kings) and won $182
Final Pot: $182.00 ($3.00 rake)

Paul

Black Wings
01-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I agree pretty much with what true said, although i'd bet slightly less on the river, maybe around $60/65. I'd bump the river up to $90ish.

goofyballer
01-09-2007, 03:50 PM
WTF @ TURN CHECK

There's a difference between players that are weak-tight nits and players that are flat out not very good. I'm inclined to think that a 23/6 player, that calls with too many hands and doesn't raise enough himself, is going to be less inclined to get away from a smaller (JJ-QQ) overpair after RRing preflop on a totally dry board, especially versus a player that (from his point of view) has been stealing a lot of pots against him preflop and on flop.

I don't think there's any way that villain is c/f TT-QQ type hands on the turn, so I make it $84 and likely VB river for 1/2 pot or so if checked to.

Leviathan
02-01-2007, 03:09 PM
nobody proposed to reraise small preflop? Would it be that bad because it's what i would have done.
Typical 4 bet preflop would be 76.
I would have r/red to only 50$, just enough to make Btn fold a small pair/suited connector (he's TAG so i think he's not going to take these odds with a drawing hands) and see what SB does.
SB is said to be passive so i'd be able to fold to a big r/r.

If Btn calls my smallish raise, i don't see SB not raising with aces, that would be too dangerous.
If Btn folds, i think SB would r/r too with aces as he would think my r/r is too small to commit me postflop (not knowing i have kings).
So with no r/r from him i believe i'm ahead postflop and i fell more comfortable to lead.

That's why I believe a small r/r preflop, though dangerous (and stupid) on many spots, would be better preflop in that situation.
With a big r/r from me, i give SB a chance to disguise his aces by just calling preflop and letting me commiting myself on flop.

Would my line/reasoning be stupid???

Played like it was played, i'd call flop, check turn (but betting would be close) and min raise river (am i missing value??)

SEABEAST
02-02-2007, 04:38 AM
I call preflop (Im fourbetting KK 95%+ of the time in that spot, but a 23/6 with 200BBs falls into the 5% imo)

Then I call flop

I check behind turn

River I would make it $99 for that last bit of value earnt by checking behind turn, I dont think 99+ can fold for $66 more, and he is not gonna bluff threebet ever.

Hard not to be biased by results on the river but I actually like how you played the hand in general, and agree with True's line overall. This isn't close to a 200BB situation.

GAL
02-02-2007, 04:55 AM
As played I'm pushing that river, Villans hand is pretty much face up. The sole reason we're just calling PF is to extract value from TT+. Make your mind up if your stacking off to AA PF and just go with it.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
9 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $47.75
UTG+1: $310.50
MP1: $198
MP2: $89.75
MP3: $201.35
CO: $164.60
Hero: $262.55
SB: $178
BB: $425.40

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
3 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $9</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $30</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($63, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $40</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 9/images/graemlins/club.gif ($143, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB is all-in $355.4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $192.55</font>.
Uncalled bets: $162.85 returned to BB.

River: 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($528.1, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $528.1)

Results:
Final pot: $528.1
<font color="#ffffff">Hero showed Kh Kd</font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB showed Ac Qd</font>

74o_Clownsuit
02-02-2007, 04:59 AM
GAL, your hand is a MUCH different situation. Calling his 3-bet there is quite standard.

We're not opening the pot in OP's hand though. It's raised and reraised to us.

Also, FRLOL! (Sorry couldn't help myself)

SEABEAST
02-02-2007, 05:34 AM
That hand is different in so many ways it's ridiculous... For starters it's a button/blind war, and I highly doubt the villain is a 23/6 passive donk.

When someone with 6% PFR reraises another tight player's raise out of position his range is pretty damn small. It's not that you're looking to fold, you're just looking to get to showdown and get the max realistic value from the 2-3 worse hands he can have without committing your stack when behind.

And yes you only lose to one hand and beat several others, but you know 100% AA is part of his range, whereas you don't have any idea how far down the pair list his reraise range goes - it might not even include QQ/JJ for some 6PFR guys.

Realistically he has AA enough of the time that you are never looking to get 200BB stacks in, but he also has AK/QQ/JJ enough that you do want to get to showdown.

shpanko
02-02-2007, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i like a 4bet to 65 preflop because of SB is so passive. if he pushes you can fold BUT more importantly he is a bad player so he is calling with hands here that will get him in trouble post flop. ie. JJ/QQ

I think you're gonna make more money by taking the lead when he has JJ/QQ than letting him be the aggressor with those hands.

Vs most players I think a flop call is standard as played but depends on how bad he is...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is perfect

Nielsio
02-02-2007, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ye I effed up river. Thx for comments.

Full Tilt Poker
6 Players

SB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">Results:</font>
SB had J/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif (a pair of Jacks)
Hero had K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (a pair of Kings) and won $182
Final Pot: $182.00 ($3.00 rake)

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the turn. He's obviously going for pot-control. Doesn't have to be big but if he as AQ then he has too many free outs as well. 3/5ths sounds good. Then about 1/2 on the river if he checks to you. If he leads into you for about 1/2 on the river after he c/c the turn then there's still a chance he has AA, but you've got to bet this turn-check and river-block-bet stuff.

GLmaestro
02-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Haven't read responses

I would raise flop 50% of the time. As played definitely bet turn. Your hand looks like 77-TT or overcards, also raise this river to 100