PDA

View Full Version : switching to 6-max: wtf

sanfranfreako
01-07-2007, 02:27 AM
Does anyone have some quick advice to start out with or a link they could send? What do I loosen my starting hands to and what is a good enough hand to 2nd barrel? Top pair decent kicker? Is it really that much more profitable than full ring games? I'm going to be playing on the smallest stakes possible to learn (bodog 10$ max).

Thanks a lot for the help.

Grunch
01-07-2007, 02:37 AM
Playing short is not substantially different from playing full when the first 4 players fold.

deaders
01-07-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm pretty sure the FAQ stickies in this forum and microstakes have links to some really good posts/articles, check them out.

terp
01-07-2007, 02:45 AM
it's gonna be a bit rough and confusing for a while. don't be weak/tight, don't nutpeddle, don't openlimp, but most important, always handread. unlike full ring, there's going to be a lot of bluffing and thin valuebetting/calling, so it's very important to think a level or two deeper.

sanfranfreako
01-07-2007, 05:01 AM
I've looked but havn't been able to find a simple hand-starting chart. Any advice?

LionelHutz00
01-07-2007, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've looked but havn't been able to find a simple hand-starting chart. Any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't use a simple hand-starting chart.

sanfranfreako
01-07-2007, 05:17 AM
at least a guideline is what im looking for. I mean if it's 5 handed and I have A7o, I have honestly have no idea what to do. I'm ultra tight on 10 handed, but am clueless with 6-handed. What about Q10o, k10o?

Wu36
01-07-2007, 05:33 AM
fold a7o in the cutoff, raise qt and kt. starting hand charts arent going to help you too much here. the main difference is going to be postflop, you can still play nit tight pf if you want. note that i have maybe 10k hands of fr under my belt and i tend to spew profound amounts of chips at said games.

sanfranfreako
01-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Ok. So lets say I have AT-AK unhit, I continuaation bet. I get called. Should I double barrel on the turn if I'm still unhit? Is this the kind of aggression I should show that I wouldn't necessarily have in a full ring game?

keikiwai
01-07-2007, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
fold a7o in the cutoff, raise qt and kt.

[/ QUOTE ]

dam you're a nit

it's often good to pfr a7o in the CO

concentrate on how the blinds play, try to steal, try to isolate, try to squeeze.... adjust to your opponents w/ your pf, so don't use a hand chart

criminaldave
01-07-2007, 05:44 AM
best post ever (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=microplnl&Number=7827947& page=1&fpart=all)

terp
01-07-2007, 05:51 AM
[censored] hands don't become playable just because the games seem more aggro, etc. A7o is pretty much trash anything but heads up. if you're raising with it it's as a pure steal.

to start off, just play the hands you normally play. if you feel like you can add more profitably, gradually expand your range

kslghost
01-07-2007, 08:52 AM
6-max is about adjusting to the table dynamics a lot more... So pay attention!

BobAllinSki
01-07-2007, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok. So lets say I have AT-AK unhit, I continuaation bet. I get called. Should I double barrel on the turn if I'm still unhit? Is this the kind of aggression I should show that I wouldn't necessarily have in a full ring game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, but not allways. Kinda crap answer to give but at 6 max people have better reads as there are less players to track so you cant allways do anything, you must mix it up.

Wu36
01-07-2007, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dam you're a nit

[/ QUOTE ]

does everyone else raise a7 in the co here?
i usually fold <a9 in that spot and i run @ 26/21

DMoogle
01-07-2007, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dam you're a nit

[/ QUOTE ]

does everyone else raise a7 in the co here?
i usually fold <a9 in that spot and i run @ 26/21

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I usually fold <A9o in that spot too. I like to raise a lot of drawing hands in the CO though, such as J9s.

Freelancer
01-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I raise A7o if I feel like it in the CO/btn and if my table image warrants it (ie. if I didn't raise for like 2 orbits -I'm carddead /images/graemlins/tongue.gif- I raise all kind of junk in the CO/btn).

Basically play UTG/UTG+1 extremely tight (EP FR tightish), and loosen up a TON from the CO/btn. Basically I consider any hand in the CO/btn raise worthy depending on table dynamics and image (and stack sizes/players in the blinds).

When you start out in the 6-max games and play kinda nitty (as you probably will coming from FR) you don't ever need to double barrel with air (missed overcards). Just don't do it, its a very specific situation where its +ev to double barrel. Its usually plain and simple spew if you mess it up.

You might want to start a bit higher stakes, the game is a lot different at these very low limits. This means that ones you move up you'll have to adapt to the game at those limits again. Its probably a better idea to play nl50 6-max if you have a nl100 roll (they aren't THAT much different).

keikiwai
01-07-2007, 03:48 PM
i fold a7o in the CO if button likes to cold call

i raise a7o in the CO if button lives in folderson, and the blinds fold to my cbets every now and then

i'm just saying it very much depends on your opponents, and you should be able to find spots often enough where raising a7o from the CO is GOOT

King Spew
01-07-2007, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
best post ever (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=microplnl&Number=7827947& page=1&fpart=all)

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

To be honest, you really won't need anything else but this thread for SEVERAL months. Really!

arcticfox
01-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Fimbul's starting hands chart (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4607200&page=0&fpart=all &vc=1)

This is a decent basic starting hands chart from someone who killed NL25, helped me when I was getting started.