PDA

View Full Version : Mid session strategy tweak... General question

tomek322
01-06-2007, 09:01 PM
So I play 1-2 at the Borgata. While usually it is pretty loose preflop, today was ridiculous. For about three hours it was 5-8 people to the flop. Usually limped but it didn't matter if the raise was 15 or 35 every limper would still call. Then three people would bet and call to the river at which point sometimes you'd get called sometimes you wouldn't. It was pretty bizzare. Long story short, I decided I wouldn't bluff and stack off with only one pair. I was up $350.

I decided to try and get a huge day. With so many callers consistently, I decided to raise all my pocket pairs and low suited connectors in the last three seats. My logic was, that if I hit a huge hand, it would make the succesie bets larger and make it easier to stack someone. Usually I would just limp with PP and go from there.

So I made 8 raises on the button and CO. 6 PP and 43s and 67s. Missed every single flop and didn't pick up any of the pots. So I could of probably saved myself $100 not making those raises.

Any thoughts for me. Should I have just limped or was my logic ok?

deaders
01-06-2007, 09:05 PM
If 3 people are calling to the river you may as well just limp them and still get paid off after getting in cheaply.

kslghost
01-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Generally when bad players are staying in too far and preflop raises are oversized and under-respected, it is better just to limp with the weaker PPs and definitely with the small suited connectors.

The better the players are (worse table), the more I would be compelled to raise.

kslghost
01-06-2007, 09:12 PM
One thing I'm thinking real quick is that there are certain reasons to raise in LP with small-medium PPs and small suited connectors:

1) Raise to increase size of pot to increase river pot size in order to win big pots (This one is true here)

2) Take advantage of position in order to manipulate opponents (Probably not worth its normal value, as it's going to generally be passive callers check calling you, and thus you will have to rely on #1).

3) Win blind/call money from TAGs with a c-bet (obviously not happening).

There's probably more, but the benefits of limping (very high implied odds, cheap flop) seem more applicable in this game.

Also, if you wanted a "big night" you were doing the right thing, but you were sacrificing overall EV. Had you hit well, you woulda made lots of money, most likely.