PDA

View Full Version : 100 NL re-raise AKs against short stack; bad flop but his stack = pot

Lego05
01-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Sit and go player trying to get better at cash. Help on all streets appreciated.

Villian is 50/1.39/.55 (2.36 not counting pre-flop) over 72 hands

That's not a very good flop, but his stack is only equal to the pot. What would you do here on the flop? Would you do anything differently pre-flop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($127.05)
BB ($118.85)
UTG ($99)
UTG+1 ($100)
MP1 ($95.90)
MP2 ($62.75)
CO ($38.45)
Button ($154.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $13</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, CO calls $10.

Flop: ($28) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $26</font>, CO ??

shpanko
01-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Man is that a bad flop for AK. I think I'd bet a bit less. You are betting to get 22-88 to fold and possibly AJ/KJ/AK. You needn't bet more than 19 to accomplish this. This will commit less if you are raised (in which case you have to fold) and make it cheaper to see the turn to hit your ~6 outs.

Lego05
01-06-2007, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man is that a bad flop for AK. I think I'd bet a bit less. You are betting to get 22-88 to fold and possibly AJ/KJ/AK. You needn't bet more than 19 to accomplish this. This will commit less if you are raised (in which case you have to fold) and make it cheaper to see the turn to hit your ~6 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he only has 25 left. If I bet 19 and he moves in it's 6 to me in a 70 pot. I can't fold to that.

jk3a
01-06-2007, 03:43 PM
push preflop
c/f flop mostly, c/c flop is much better that bet

Lego05
01-06-2007, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
push preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is check call better? What is he betting that I'm beating? And this does't give lower pocket pairs a chance to fold?

As for pushing pre-flop I still had one player behind me he had almost a smuch as me so taking a $3 bet to $30/$35 may have been excessive. No?

shpanko
01-06-2007, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
push preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is check call better? What is he betting that I'm beating? And this does't give lower pocket pairs a chance to fold?

As for pushing pre-flop I still had one player behind me he had almost a smuch as me so taking a $3 bet to $30/$35 may have been excessive. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

No not really. I do this vs short stacks all the time. THe player behind you is rarely going to call a 35 dollar raise pf. If he does you still have decent equity vs everything but AA.

Sorry about my first post I didn't see the stack sizes. I think I like raising pf to put the shortie all in. As played I think I'd c/f. Is villain really going to push here with an underpair? It will probably look like you are slowplaying something when you check and it'll get you a free card.

jk3a
01-06-2007, 04:08 PM
c/c is better because he might bet hands that he would fold to your bet(22-88) that we're in real good shape against. Like I said though, c/f is probably best.

Casper05
01-06-2007, 04:21 PM
push pf, c/f flop as played

carnivalhobo
01-06-2007, 04:28 PM
i dont see how we can fold, we usually have 10 outs, and are sometimes ahead.

Abramovic
01-06-2007, 04:37 PM
How about if he gets clever and bets $10 on flop?

kev123
01-06-2007, 05:08 PM
size of the reraise preflop is the problem... why did you reraise to $13 preflop ? ( To commit short stack to the pot ? ... you got what you wanted, get ur money in.)

Raising to $8 preflop against a short stack like this gives you a few more options post flop

greeeeeez
01-06-2007, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
c/c is better because he might bet hands that he would fold to your bet(22-88) that we're in real good shape against. Like I said though, c/f is probably best.

[/ QUOTE ]

real good shape = hero drawing to 10 outs ???

Villian is 50/1.39/.55 (2.36 not counting pre-flop) over 72 hands. guys like this dont raise small pairs preflop imo, so i think 22-88 very unlikely. my guess is he has TT-QQ, AJ+, and isnt folding. i like c/f.

DMoogle
01-06-2007, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
size of the reraise preflop is the problem... why did you reraise to $13 preflop ? ( To commit short stack to the pot ? ... you got what you wanted, get ur money in.)

Raising to $8 preflop against a short stack like this gives you a few more options post flop

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like reraising small preflop, but you're right that this is a very good spot to do it in.

Either that or reraise extra-large.

carnivalhobo
01-06-2007, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like reraising small preflop, but you're right that this is a very good spot to do it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

or, omg call!?! i would likely repop and shove flop with AK here, but i think just calling with hands like KQ or AQ in this spot are both fine alternatives.

DMoogle
01-07-2007, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or, omg call!?! i would likely repop and shove flop with AK here, but i think just calling with hands like KQ or AQ in this spot are both fine alternatives.

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling isn't bad, but a small re-raise will isolate the fish.