PDA

View Full Version : AA on a paried board. River decision

cs3
01-06-2007, 04:17 AM
villain in this hand was relatively unknown and i had only played maybe 30 hands wiht him when this hand occurred. he had been a calling station in the few hands i did see him play, both pre and post flop
I had been playing my regular game 23/16/2.6

i was pretty lost on this river. i think its fairly obv he had a draw, pair of K's, or a 9 but hard to say which. the obvious flush draw missed but many guys would also play AK/KQ/KJ exactly like villain did. would you ever give an unknown credit for a 9 when he flat calls 2 streets?
Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $12
CO: $61.10
Button: $65.85
Hero: $271.75
BB: $111

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($11, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif ($27, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $19</font>, BB calls.

River: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($65, 2 players) <font color="red"> HERO??? </font>
does this river change anything? villain has ~80 behind.

what do you put villain on here? what is the best line?

bet - how much? if we bet do we ever make a smaller bet than a push? if we dont push, do we ever bet/fold? villains stack size is pretty awkward in this spot.

ch/c - get value out of busted flush draws/weak K's? but is a K ever folding if we had jsut lead?

ch/fold - seems really bad but is checking wiht the intention to call a small bet/fold to a psuh correct here

keikiwai
01-06-2007, 04:21 AM
i think turn bet should be a different size to ease the river stack size problem - either bigger to get ai or smaller to control

i'd go for a ch call here because i have a feeling he'd bet more hands than he calls, since he's calling range (that we beat) is basically only a K

Paul Thomson
01-06-2007, 04:22 AM
I hear ya about all your questions and they all make sense.

I doubt a King ever folds the river. So I'm going to bet it for value. and I'd call a push.

Paul Thomson
01-06-2007, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think turn bet should be a different size to ease the river stack size problem - either bigger to get ai or smaller to control

i'd go for a ch call here because i have a feeling he'd bet more hands than he calls, since he's calling range (that we beat) is basically only a K

[/ QUOTE ]

good point about the turn. I think this also applies about the flop.

Do you think a King is always betting this river? Does KQ bet the river?

ahnuld
01-06-2007, 04:35 AM
most kings wont bet the river unless hes really aggresive. Check call river if hes gonna bluff missed hearts more often than hed call with a K. So if hes aggro check/call. If hes passive bet wtv. hell call.

Sciolist
01-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Villain is 2.6 agf, but you don't have enough hands to see his river agf. I'd just check/call, he's right in the middle of being aggressive or passive, perhaps leaning a bit towards aggressive.

And yeh, bet sizing - making it $7 on the flop leads to a $25 turn, betting $16 on the turn leads to a $57 river... I always try to make that kind of size bet OOP.

cs3
01-06-2007, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is good advice... i had been double barreling often so i jsut made my standard flop and turn bets without thinkg much baout the size ofthe pot and how it related to stack sizes. in retrospect (regardless of results) i suppose i shouldve either:

a)bet pot on both the flop and turn, to set up a river pot sized push

b)bet exactly what i did KNOWING i was going to ch/c any river

3) fold preflop

one more question... does anyone ever go for stack-a-donk turn ch/r on a paired/drawyy board like this one?

cs3
01-06-2007, 04:59 AM
so what do you guys put vilain on?

delta k
01-06-2007, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so what do you guys put vilain on?

[/ QUOTE ]

K, bet/call

tw0please
01-06-2007, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
one more question... does anyone ever go for stack-a-donk turn ch/r on a paired/drawyy board like this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this board, low paired boards are better to do this on with AA. A c/rai will probably blow off KQ/KJ here.

deaders
01-06-2007, 05:44 AM
He usually has a king, you have to bet for value, personally Id lead for $45.

cs3
01-06-2007, 06:23 AM
i let the timer run down then bet 36 thinking AK/KQ was villains most likely holding and hed have to at least call that amount.
furthermore i felt diamonds were also a large part of his range and that he miiiiiight try a desperation bluff push if i bet small.

i was half right. he insta pushed, i called

he did indeed have diamonds, but exactly QdJD. straight good.

cs3
01-06-2007, 06:43 AM
do you like the way villain played his hand? i think its proably the best line vs AA, but how about vs a range of SB opening raises?

on another note...
what do you do if youre HERO and you are raised on this flop?

Stealthy
01-06-2007, 07:06 AM
This is a king almost always. Bet as much as you think he will call. I like around $40.

BDaws
01-06-2007, 07:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you like the way villain played his hand? i think its proably the best line vs AA, but how about vs a range of SB opening raises?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would fold preflop. I respect raises from the SB. If I did get to the flop, I would take the same line. Raising the flop is pretty bad because you don't win the pot very often. His range is pretty strong. You don't want to ruin your implied odds with a raise when all hands that fold to a flop raise have a difficult time maintaining the initiative anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
what do you do if youre HERO and you are raised on this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mind a push repping a draw or calling to c/r the turn. I'm very rarely worried about being behind because there aren't many hands with 9's in them.

PaulieRockets
01-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Wierd set of bets. KK would've re-raised pre-flop. 99 would've pushed at flop. How about suited connectors? QJd fits (if he felt lucky pre-flop) Flop and turn are flush draws plus four tens to a straight. Possible. I'd lead off anyway... about $40.