PDA

View Full Version : Just Before Cashing Out

Baxter
02-06-2006, 07:28 AM
I play LO8 and cash out half my bankroll when I hit a predetermined number. Lets say the number is $2000, and every time I cash out it's to $1000. When I get to about $1900, my play becomes marginal and it seems like I get stuck. Is this due to the fact that I'm close to cashing out and I'm thinking about the money? If so, should I just think I'm going to cash out at $2000, but really cash out sometimes at $1900, sometimes at $1500, etc? Should I change it that I cash out after a pre-determined number of days instead of the monetary value?

A_Junglen
02-06-2006, 08:17 AM
If there's a noticable weakness in your game as the magic number approaches then certainly stop playing to get to that amount.

Either keep the money in the account (it's secure) or just make a "cash out x% every so many days" type of system. There really is nothing wrong with keeping it in your account. Money in poker account is as easily accessible as money in your bank account. I suppose it depends on what the money is going towards (expenses?)

raze
02-06-2006, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I get to about $1900, my play becomes marginal and it seems like I get stuck. Is this due to the fact that I'm close to cashing out and I'm thinking about the money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes yes yes absolutely. I used to have the same problem. I fixed it by shedding all my self-imposed rules on cashing out. I now just do so periodically, or whenever my bank account could use a boost, and I recommend you do the same, my friend

Bang584
02-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Since you always leave yourself $1000 in your account, try cashing out once a week or so and take out everything above $1000. If you have $1200, take out $200, etc.

galahad_187
02-06-2006, 11:41 PM
yeah definatly don't play to hit a number. at a predetermined time withdraw money over a predetermined amount. If playing to hit a number hurts you make sure you realize this when building a bankroll to move up. Don't say, 'when i hit xxx i'll move up.' say 'okay, i'm ready now.' and put money you've withdrawn back onto your site of choice and play at the higher limit - otherwise you'll experiance the same problem.

Now my problem goes more like this:

sweet, i'm up, say, 450 for today. if i hit 500 i'll end the session. i rarely hit that mark.

Baxter
02-07-2006, 04:08 AM
Great advice, I'm definitly going to just randomly withdraw from my account from now on.
Is it wrong to sit down at a session and plan to play for 2-2.5 hours and no more? Should I stop putting these restraints on my play (cashing out after X dollars, stopping after X hours)? I find my play declines after 2.5 hours though. Would it be worse to say "I'm going to stop after $100"?
Thanks.

Sciolist
02-07-2006, 10:58 AM
You should stop looking to see how you're doing. The only time I look is when I start a session - not when I end either, as it just makes me feel bad when I run bad. When I run good, I feel good already, so knowing the amount isn't important.

Sciolist
02-07-2006, 11:01 AM
I like the ideas of cashing out on a set day of the week for whatever is above a specific amount in your account.

I think you're doing some pretty large cashouts though - you're doubling your bankroll, then cashing out. What I'd do is (assuming I'm putting in enough hands) cashout this amount:

Total bankroll - (1000 + Week Number * 100)

That way, you're building your bankroll still. My main problem with my poker play - though I was playing for a living then - was that my bankroll didn't really grow. Having weekly growth targets and weekly cashout allowances would help that a lot.