PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust when people start playing back at your c-bets?

jaffa
01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
This often happens to me, and i think that my cluelessness in how to act in these situations is a leak in my game.

This situation is this..

You're cruising along cbetting all the normal hands 90% of the time etc. e.g. you'll raise on the button with AJ, get one of the blinds calling, the flop doesn't hit you, but you cbet and take it down.

However often (and i've noticed this only really starts to happen at NL50) you'll go through a dry spell, where none of your hands will hit the flop, and people will begin to realise this.

All of a sudden you're cbetting like before, but this time that guy in EP check raises you, fair enough, its no big deal, he probably does have something , you let it go. Then it happens again, and again. Does he really have something every time?

So how do we play when it appears as if the villain's onto you?

Do we have to incorporate calling his check raises and standard raises with air? In order to try and bet him off the hand later?

Or do we keep throwing them away, make few adjustments and wait til we actually hit?

Do we tighten up and not cbet as much until he's off our scent?

I'm going to trawl through my last session and find some hand examples.

I know the answer is always read dependant, so i'm sorry the question is a bit vague.

Cheers

wingchunflush
01-02-2007, 10:26 PM
I have also pondered this and dont have a good answer I am excited to see what people say.
I usually just throw it away occasionally I will reraise just to maintain a little respect.

A_C_Slater
01-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Check behind more with hands that might be best that can't stand a check/raise on the flop, like A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif on a 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif flop. Call modest turn bet. Fold river or check/behind unimproved.

You should also be checking behind on the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif flops as well to induce bluffs and keep the pot small when you're dominated. This should lower your CB frequency (which rebuilds your image) without losing profit.

A_C_Slater
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
You should also just give up on coordinated flops. Like if you raise K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and the flop comes 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif just check it down and give it up.

Route66
01-02-2007, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So how do we play when it appears as if the villain's onto you?

[/ QUOTE ]

My first thought is to find another, softer target. I'm not sure that's the right answer though.

Sean Fraley
01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I have found that delaying your c-bet to the turn will sometimes be rather effective against some of these opponents. I believe that this might actually work better here in the micros due to the tendency of people to slowplay way to much. A lot of people assume that if you check the flop and come out betting on the turn that doesn't complete any likely draws, you were slowplaying a set, or maybe KK or AA.

Also, check raise as a c-bet on some rare occasions, and also do this with a strong hand on the flop against someone who has been playing back to your c-bets.

Just keep in mind that you need to mix these solutions up, and combine them with c-betting less against players who are constantly playing back at you.

A_C_Slater
01-02-2007, 11:25 PM
I just finished watching a stoxtrader video where he checks AK on a J52r flop because opponent was "aggressive."
He also checked behind on the J52J turn and blank river.

So perhaps checking behind on completely dry flops is a good idea as well.