PDA

View Full Version : Doing this a big mistake?

theflyingcow
01-02-2007, 06:13 AM
This was a hand that gave me a lot of trouble on the turn, probably because of my shove on the flop. Is there a more appropriate amount to raise the flop if I'm trying to push F.D.'s out?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $6.10
UTG+1: $0.50
CO: $0.85
Button: $6.15
SB: $16.60
Hero: $12.15

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises all-in $0.85</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Flop: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($3.5, 3 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $3.5)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $0.3</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($17.5, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $3.5, Sidepot 1: $14)
SB checks, Hero...

Panic__NL
01-02-2007, 07:03 AM
If you raise 2 times the pot and he calls i would wipe out the flsuhdraw, or he must be a real donk. So I would put him on 2 pair or a set here.
Your raise on the flop is way too high, 3/4 to the pot is big enough to not give FD good odds. Every time they call it and make their flush, you did nothing wrong they did and win with it. 2 times the pot is way too much for TPTK.

Triggerle
01-02-2007, 07:08 AM
I think with the dead money in the pot there could be an argument for shoving the flop. If you are not prepared to felt this one you should probably raise to $3 or even call and re-evaluate on the turn, after all, you only have TPTK.

By going the middle road you got yourself into a difficlut situation. Given the pot size the rest of your stack really should go in unless you are quite sure you are beaten.

What is your read on SB? Minbet/call of the big raise could be a donkey with a flush draw or a better player with a holding similar to yours. (Or random cards)

As played I would probably put the rest in on the turn. I think he has KJ,QJ,TT,88,A2,A6 often enough when he calls and maybe he folds some one-card spade hands.

TheCutter
01-02-2007, 08:26 AM
I'd say you should push here, as you are pot committed and still have Fold Equity... You can choose between checking and pushing here - if you don't push he will do it at the river and you'll have to call so you lose your FE by checking behind. Also you might give him a free draw somehow by checking behind.

I think your flop raise is too large, I raise to $4 at most I think. It loses the flush-draws and when he pushes over your raise you know you're beat, he has 2-pair or a set.

Preflop could maybe be a reraise too - you're by calling in a pot with 4 people, maybe 5 (UTG hadn't folded yet) - AJs doesn't do well in a 5-handed pot, except when drawing for a flush...