PDA

View Full Version : Deep stacked - junk 32os hand flops 2 pair against donky player

EricW
01-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Villain is 56/14/3.7 over 57 hands.

In a situation like this on the flop, when I'm deepstacked, do I play this junky 2 pair cautiously or should I 3 bet?

On the turn, is the check raise ok because he's pretty aggressive?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $48
UTG+1: $7.75
CO: $89.70
Button: $73.30
SB: $49.50
Hero: $93.70

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif ($2.25, 4 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $2</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $16</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/club.gif ($34.25, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $33</font>, CO calls.

River: 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($100.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $46.2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO calls all-in $42.2</font>.
Uncalled bets: $4 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $184.65

shoxbb6
01-01-2007, 07:25 PM
On the flop, I'd definitely lead out instead of going for the check-raise. You most likely have the best hand and need to protect it, especially in a 4 way pot.
As played, 4-bet the flop because you need to protect your hand. Lots of cards can put you in akward spots on the turn.
The turn is good if you know that he bets everytime he's checked to.
River is good.

EricW
01-01-2007, 07:27 PM
To be honest, in a multiway pot at these low stakes, I almost always go for a check raise in a drawy board, when I flop 2 pair in a small pot. The reason for this is that if I bet out, it gives people decent odds to call and chase and I know that someone will almost always bet out. In essence, I think my check raise method protects my hand even better.

Is this reasoning wrong?

Djeorge
01-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I think your reasoning is right as in the c/r line mostly protects your hand better, but it often loses a lot of value from hands that would otherwise have called. It represents a lot of strength and basically blows out a ton of worse hands. There is also the possibility of the flop being checked round which would be terrible. I'm not sure but I think betting has higher EV, despite giving some draws favourable odds.

shoxbb6
01-01-2007, 07:40 PM
In a multiway pot, there is no way I'm not leading out at this level. Not many people take stabs into 4-way pots with air. Yes, if you get several calls, your opponents get goood odds. But if you check, and your opponent check behind, you're giving them infinite pot odds.

Even if you know that someone is going to bet out, I'd still rather bet out because if CO is very agressive, he'll most likely 3-bet you, allowing you to 4-bet him. And allows you to build a pot against him.

cov47
01-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I'd want to lead out here too. When your pairs are 2s and 3s, you can get counterfeited easily. This flop getting checked through is a disaster. If you bet out here, you may pick up calls from several people. The PFR may raise your bet anyway, helping you get some dead money in the pot. Overall I'm not too concerned about being cautious here when the PFR is the kind of player you described.

I think the way you played the later streets looks good against this sort of opponent.