PDA

View Full Version : 25NL, Going from good to better

PotatoStew
01-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Here are two similar hands where I start out with a decent holding, it improves on the turn, and the villain simultaneously gets frisky. Should I be matching with my own aggression, or should I lay off and let him do the betting for me?

In both hands, the villain in question is rather loose preflop, but that's with only a very small sample size (<30 hands).

Hand#1

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($23.60)
Button ($25.70)
SB ($13.30)
BB ($23.05)
Hero ($25.25)
MP ($14.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, CO calls $1, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($3.25) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $5</font>, Hero ???

Hand#2

In this hand, I was hoping my flop check raise would get the villain to fold, since my hand was very vulnerable. It didn't, and I was planning on being done with the hand. But then I improved, and decided to stick with the checkraise motif for two reasons - 1) I was hoping to trap a little more of his money, and 2) I thought it would be nice to instill some fear for future hands.

Comments are appreciated on the sanity/insanity of the flop checkraise, as well as the turn play.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($12.75)
Button ($4.55)
SB ($18.25)
Hero ($36.50)
UTG ($12.10)
MP ($23.40)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.10) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $0.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.25</font>, MP calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5.60) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6.5</font>

PotatoStew
01-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Bumposity.

shoxbb6
01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Hand: 3-bet the turn and call an all-in. I'd rather 3-bet here than call because you're oop and villian might not pay off on a /images/graemlins/heart.gif river.

2nd Hand: I'd probably fold preflop, but I don't like the double check-raise. On the flop, definitely don't check-raise with tpnk. If villian has been playing aggresively and raising/c-betting alot, I might call the flop. But I'm more inclined to check/fold it because your hand has big reversed implied odds with the drawy nature of the flop.
After the flop checkraise, just lead out for 3/4 pot, you most likely have the best hand and you need to protect it. Going for the checkraise here is bad after the flop checkraise. More often than not villian will simply check behind the majority of his holdings.

wingchunflush
01-01-2007, 07:16 PM
well first of all in hand one just fold PF, your UTG and you limp. I am not a fan of that play. I think you raise for value here on the turn. This is usually a weaker 7 I don't think we see 66 or 22 76 or 72 here too often, this is also a wierd play for a flush draw so that really only leaves us with a weaker seven or a hand that has us crushed.

Second hand I know its a min raise but you called it with 87o OOP I would have just folded. Also I lead out on the turn if he checks your missing a bet and without a read that he will bet everytime its checked to him I dont think its a great play. I would lead for value. the amount of the c/r looks fine.

corsakh
01-01-2007, 07:31 PM
H1: Fold preflop. Pot flop. Forget your on a flush draw, your repersenting TPTK or an overpair, you want protection. Shove the turn, hes more likely to call with a weaker 7 than a river pot size bet.

H2: Ok Mr Trapper. Stop playing rubbish OOP. Check/call the flop. Bet turn. Last thing you want is to get tricky with a 7 kicker.

PotatoStew
01-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok, point taken about the wacky check raising in the second hand, and the preflop call on the 87 hand.

However, on the first hand, what position do you start playing A7s? NLHTP suggests that down to A4s can be limpable from EP if the table isn't particularly aggressive preflop.

corsakh
01-01-2007, 09:04 PM
It perhaps refers to full ring game. On 6max you have to tighten up significantly on your UTG starting hands. Hands like Axs, SC and KQ are not playable from UTG 6max. AJ is barely playable. Unless your trying to get tricky of course. Open limping is a bigger sin. Playing Axs from UTG itself is not a high crime. It may spice up your game against observant opponents. But limping is.